[Football] Chelsea - up for sale, Roman Abramovich sanctioned, not up for sale etc

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone mentioned that this bloke has stirred Jonny Dixons porridge yet?

So Holly goes from Cardy to Candy then?

2019-06-jonny-dixon.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interested to see how Abramovich being sanctioned impacts the sale………personally I think too late now as he can’t undertake transactions in the UK. Whether the cosmetic handing over of the club to Trustees allows them to continue to operate normally, well I guess so :shrug:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Interested to see how Abramovich being sanctioned impacts the sale………personally I think too late now as he can’t undertake transactions in the UK. Whether the cosmetic handing over of the club to Trustees allows them to continue to operate normally, well I guess so :shrug:

Don't think it changes anything that he tried to transfer stewardship over to the Trustees, he is still the owner - he has the most shares and its his company that owns Chelsea. No transfer of ownership was issued. Will be interesting to see what happens, as there was speculation that players might not get paid etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't think it changes anything that he tried to transfer stewardship over to the Trustees, he is still the owner - he has the most shares and its his company that owns Chelsea. No transfer of ownership was issued. Will be interesting to see what happens, as there was speculation that players might not get paid etc

Initial reporting indicating the club will need a ‘special licence’ to continue operating (strongly suspect this will be granted), but he won’t be able to sell.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Logically Chelsea will run out of money rather quickly.....possible administration???!!! [I'm just guessing, but this is obviously an unprecedented situation - will be fascinating to see what happens next]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Logically Chelsea will run out of money rather quickly.....possible administration???!!! [I'm just guessing, but this is obviously an unprecedented situation - will be fascinating to see what happens next]

Good point……he won’t be able to pump any cash in to cover losses.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
According to reporter on TalkSport only season ticket holders (28000) will be allowed in at Stamford Bridge as a result of Abramovich being sanctioned. No casual ticket sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT extract

'Chelsea cannot sell tickets to future matches'

The Government have told Chelsea they cannot even sell tickets to matches and any takeover is now on hold as part of the order.

Mr Abramovich is described by the Foreign Office in the new statement as "one of the few oligarchs from the 1990s to maintain prominence under Putin".

Culture secretary Nadine Dorries has said that Chelsea will still be able to play matches and pay staff.

"Putin’s attack on Ukraine continues and we are witnessing new levels of evil by the hour. Today the Government has announced further sanctions against individuals linked to the Russian Government. This list includes Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea Football Club," she said

"Our priority is to hold those who have enabled the Putin regime to account. Today’s sanctions obviously have a direct impact on Chelsea and its fans. We have been working hard to ensure the club and the national game are not unnecessarily harmed by these important sanctions."

"To ensure the club can continue to compete and operate we are issuing a special licence that will allow fixtures to be fulfilled, staff to be paid and existing ticket holders to attend matches while, crucially, depriving Abramovich of benefiting from his ownership of the club."

"I know this brings some uncertainty, but the Government will work with the league & clubs to keep football being played while ensuring sanctions hit those intended. Football clubs are cultural assets and the bedrock of our communities. We're committed to protecting them."

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
DT extract

'Chelsea cannot sell tickets to future matches'

The Government have told Chelsea they cannot even sell tickets to matches and any takeover is now on hold as part of the order.

Mr Abramovich is described by the Foreign Office in the new statement as "one of the few oligarchs from the 1990s to maintain prominence under Putin".

Culture secretary Nadine Dorries has said that Chelsea will still be able to play matches and pay staff.

"Putin’s attack on Ukraine continues and we are witnessing new levels of evil by the hour. Today the Government has announced further sanctions against individuals linked to the Russian Government. This list includes Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea Football Club," she said

"Our priority is to hold those who have enabled the Putin regime to account. Today’s sanctions obviously have a direct impact on Chelsea and its fans. We have been working hard to ensure the club and the national game are not unnecessarily harmed by these important sanctions."

"To ensure the club can continue to compete and operate we are issuing a special licence that will allow fixtures to be fulfilled, staff to be paid and existing ticket holders to attend matches while, crucially, depriving Abramovich of benefiting from his ownership of the club."

"I know this brings some uncertainty, but the Government will work with the league & clubs to keep football being played while ensuring sanctions hit those intended. Football clubs are cultural assets and the bedrock of our communities. We're committed to protecting them."

Interesting to see what it means for the summer and beyond.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
According to reporter on TalkSport only season ticket holders (28000) will be allowed in at Stamford Bridge as a result of Abramovich being sanctioned. No casual ticket sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Which I'm guessing also means no away fans.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They can't sell tickets now - only season ticket holders allowed to go to their games. Wonder what their percentage of season ticket holders is and how that will impact their attendances?

Which presumably means NO away fans? Hardly seems fair, therefore Chelsea should be made to play remaining home games BCD by the Premier League.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This Nick Candy? Seems like a perfect match...

View attachment 145893

Given that this is a picture of him at an illegal Tory lockdown party in December, I am sure cronyism will come to the fore for a party donor to help it happen.

After all, he probably missed out on PPE contracts.

And if anybody wants to criticise that for "bringing politics in to a football thread", give your head a wobble.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Given that this is a picture of him at an illegal Tory lockdown party in December, I am sure cronyism will come to the fore for a party donor to help it happen.

After all, he probably missed out on PPE contracts.

And if anybody wants to criticise that for "bringing politics in to a football thread", give your head a wobble.

No chance of it happening whilst Abramovich is sanctioned.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
You can now see why it took so long to sanction him. Very complicated as clearly government wanted to make sure he doesnt benefit from any income or sales but didnt want to penalise players or supporters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can now see why it took so long to sanction him. Very complicated as clearly government wanted to make sure he doesnt benefit from any income or sales but didnt want to penalise players or supporters

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is that they're just incompetent.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Will read the detail later but initial thoughts would be that this would suggest away fans who haven’t yet bought tickets (as not on sale yet) for future games cannot attend? Shirley advantage Chelsea?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports