Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea - Spending well beyond FFP limits or astute purchases maxing out within FFP?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They're probably okay - looking at the young talent they have, and amortisation rules, even with the suggested £135m per season they have baked into their accounts for the best part of the next decade, that's effectively only one or two decent players being sold to Saudi every season, to be okay. If not, some lovely commercial deals which aren't at all shady will help bridge any remaining gap.

For context, that is more than offset with the £220m they have brought in this season (minus any write off for Koulibaly & Mendy who are probably the only two with any real "value" left following their initial deals recently).

And, by all accounts, their wage bill has more than likely come down given the focus on lower paid youngsters on longer deals.
Annoying that their loop hole appears to be working. Let’s hope there is new legislation over the next decade that will really screw then up. This sort of thing is not on:

IMG_3139.jpeg

How are other teams meant to compete in the transfer market?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Well quite.

Also there are a number of quality teams outside the top 6/7 that will nick points from them.
I think the Todd has a flawed view of the Premier League, based on past performance, rather than the current relative strengths, of the teams in the division.
I sooooo hope you're right.
All my interest and time will be devoted to enjoying The Albion's progress this season, but even above wanting to beat Palace I want to see Chelsea fail to qualify for the Champions League again just so their 'throw the kitchen sink at it' philosophy back fires horribly on them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Nothing will happen to them. Absolutely nothing.

They'll be free to spend and spend and spend and spend. The most they'll receive is a token fine, which they'll be able to afford to pay, and then they can carry on as per.

FFP is toothless until it stops using fines as its main weapon. Points deductions and transfer embargoes should be the punishments. But we won't see that either, lest we unbalance the established order.

So, we just have to crack on and enjoy going to our games. It's all we can do.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I sooooo hope you're right.
All my interest and time will be devoted to enjoying The Albion's progress this season, but even above wanting to beat Palace I want to see Chelsea fail to qualify for the Champions League again just so their 'throw the kitchen sink at it' philosophy back fires horribly on them.
From a footballing perspective it will be fascinating to see how this project works (or, hopefully, doesn’t work). I’m particularly curious to see how Chelsea cope when the chips are down. Do they have any Lallana/Dunk/Milner/Veltman/Steele type characters? Perhaps Thiago? Or Reece James?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Annoying that their loop hole appears to be working. Let’s hope there is new legislation over the next decade that will really screw then up. This sort of thing is not on:

View attachment 165039

How are other teams meant to compete in the transfer market?
How are other teams in the Europa League and the FA Cup supposed to compete with Brighton’s spending ? Our business model seems to be based around picking the pockets of the super rich in order to maintain superiority over the rest. Not sure how we can knock it really.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's terribly sad really, genuinely nightmarish in its feverish dreamlike un-reality... Alas it's not a dream, it's real and it's awful really... a plasticky, shiny, spectre... driven by voodoo economics... it leaves you breathless and weary... I'm reminded of the Karma Police video...

Hope ?

It's the dictionary definition of raging against the machine, pissing into the wind, screaming in a vacuum... nothing the authorities 'do' will alter the harsh reality that the commercial value of the bigger brands trumps fairness. The veiled FFP threat is nothing more than window dressing for those with a passing interest in the game, and those all in with their replica shirts, season tickets etc. won't let themselves be drawn into the light, as it'll basically undermine their entire belief system... you know; that this is a transparent, and open competition where the 'best team' wins. . . it's beyond the joke really, yet we all continue to believe the loaded dice will somehow prove true.

If it wasn't for our club, and the way we operate in this shark infested shit pond, well - I'd walk away from anything resembling top flight football... where our biggest hope revolves around exacting revenge on the clubs that reap our talent with each passing transfer window - now something I utterly dread, what with it's own 'value' to talentless twitter 'experts' and (yes) gambling markets.

Money has and will continue to ruin the game... I already have strong suspicions I'm watching something that was scripted in close season... in a room chock full of TV execs, shady sheiks, oil barons, weapons dealers, agents, gambling companies and some of the worst script writing hacks the world has ever seen... Akin to Westworld, we all know it's fake but we lap it up anyway. . .

Yey.

(I make no apologies for the above incoherent rant)

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's terribly sad really, genuinely nightmarish in it's feverish dreamlike un-reality... Alas it's not a dream, it's real and it's awful really... a plasticky, shiny, spectre... driven by voodoo economics... it leaves you breathless and weary... I'm reminded of the Karma Police video...

Hope ?

It's the dictionary definition of raging against the machine, pissing into the wind, screaming in a vacuum... nothing the authorities 'do' will alter the harsh reality that the commercial value of the bigger brands trumps fairness. The veiled FFP threat is nothing more than window dressing for those with a passing interest in the game, and those all in with their replica shirts, season tickets etc. won't let themselves be drawn into the light, as it'll basically undermine their entire belief system... you know; that this is a transparent, and open competition where the 'best team' wins. . . it's beyond the joke really, yet we all continue to believe the loaded dice will somehow prove true.

If it wasn't for our club, and the we we operate in this shark infested shit pond, well - I'd walk away from anything resembling top flight football... where our biggest hope revolves around exacting revenge on the clubs that reap our talent with each passing transfer window - now something I utterly dread, what with it's own 'value' to talentless twitter 'experts' and (yes) gambling markets.

Money has and will continue to ruin the game... I already have strong suspicions I'm watching something that was scripted in close season... in a room chock full of TV execs, shady sheiks, oil barons, weapons dealers, agents, gambling companies and some of the worst script writing hacks the world has ever seen... Akin to Westworld, we all know it's fake but we lap it up anyway. . .

Yey.

(I make no apologies for the above incoherent rant)
Really ? How would our model and edge survive the disappearance of the despised super rich clubs ? Their riches are necessary to turn our uncut gems into a source of self sustainability for our club. It’s a bit holier than thou to claim some sort of moral superiority. Without transfer profits and being that stepping stone we are just another club.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Really ? How would our model and edge survive the disappearance of the despised super rich clubs ? Their riches are necessary to turn our uncut gems into a source of self sustainability for our club. It’s a bit holier than thou to claim some sort of moral superiority. Without transfer profits and being that stepping stone we are just another club.
I really don't envisage much of a future for our current model... the commercial behemoths are now ever more determined to hoover up all the talent... indeed (thanks to our successful model, and impudence) they're now busy inflating the South American market, the one we've made virtually our own... A clear strategy to price us out of bargains and thus the reservoir of available PL ready talent will reduce/cost too much... let's see how our model works if we have even a couple of seasons where we don't unearth the 'next' big thing... We need to be very careful in the coming year... naturally I trust our club to see the way things are shifting... That aside, I'm not sure I can digest the current Chelsea model for too much longer... in a world broken by poverty, among other things, it's frankly sick... whether they're sustaining us is I guess the question... one I'd rather not contemplate tbh, the answer is abhorrent.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I think it’s within FFP because they are loading all liabilities into the future. Dangerous game to play.

I reckon Todd cares little for the Premier League and is just waiting for the European Super League to come along, which will be financed by the Saudis and feature all the original crooks plus clubs from Saudi Arabia and one from Qatar (after all, they didn’t host that World Cup for nothing did they?)
I ain't no financial expert but I understood that the loophole allowing them to defer wage costs by applying 8 years contracts was closed this summer?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I ain't no financial expert but I understood that the loophole allowing them to defer wage costs by applying 8 years contracts was closed this summer?
Only for clubs in UEFA competitions.

I’m still not even sure why it’s called a ‘loophole’

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I really don't envisage much of a future for our current model... the commercial behemoths are now ever more determined to hoover up all the talent... indeed (thanks to our successful model, and impudence) they're now busy inflating the South American market, the one we've made virtually our own... A clear strategy to price us out of bargains and thus the reservoir of available PL ready talent will reduce/cost too much... let's see how our model works if we have even a couple of seasons where we don't unearth the 'next' big thing... We need to be very careful in the coming year... naturally I trust our club to see the way things are shifting... That aside, I'm not sure I can digest the current Chelsea model for too much longer... in a world broken by poverty, among other things, it's frankly sick... whether they're sustaining us is I guess the question... one I'd rather not contemplate tbh, the answer is abhorrent.
In which case, fair enough. I too trust Tony to stay ahead of the pack and agree that will likely involve a different direction. I agree with everything you say about Chelsea. There is something stomach churning about them and the Saudis.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A slight counter to that is our current model will continue but will generally cost more. We may, in the last few years have been able to pluck players from SA for £4/5m that is now likely to rise to £10/15m. However the sell on will increase accordingly or we accept we don't make so much of a profit.

Our selling point is the pathway. There's still so few players that progress from their late teens into their respective clubs 1st team squad. We now have a proven record for doing it. That's our appeal. Yes the likes of Liverpool or the Chavs will vacuum up in areas but they are unlikely to ever progress. They want the finished article and when you have a bottomless pit why bother with the hard work. The face of the hedge fund at Chelsea had a vision of following the path laid by us, that lasted 5 seconds before another £100m was spent.

Our work in SA has not just made us an attractive, safe proposal to many, we are well versed in their player ownership issues. Many clubs such as M Utd give up.

I do believe there will be a more balanced view on recruitment in the future, there has to be, as we protect our position on the pitch. The use of the toddlers later on in games is showing De Zerbi will be getting them experience but not risking our game plan.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A slight counter to that is our current model will continue but will generally cost more. We may, in the last few years have been able to pluck players from SA for £4/5m that is now likely to rise to £10/15m. However the sell on will increase accordingly or we accept we don't make so much of a profit.

Our selling point is the pathway. There's still so few players that progress from their late teens into their respective clubs 1st team squad. We now have a proven record for doing it. That's our appeal. Yes the likes of Liverpool or the Chavs will vacuum up in areas but they are unlikely to ever progress. They want the finished article and when you have a bottomless pit why bother with the hard work. The face of the hedge fund at Chelsea had a vision of following the path laid by us, that lasted 5 seconds before another £100m was spent.

Our work in SA has not just made us an attractive, safe proposal to many, we are well versed in their player ownership issues. Many clubs such as M Utd give up.

I do believe there will be a more balanced view on recruitment in the future, there has to be, as we protect our position on the pitch. The use of the toddlers later on in games is showing De Zerbi will be getting them experience but not risking our game plan.
I’m not sure the two bits in bold are consistent with each other. I also think the attraction is a place in the team not just in the squad. They can get in the squad anywhere. You either offer young prospects proper game time or you don’t. Tony/Paul have previously talked about relegation being a possibility with this strategy. I’m not sure it will be tweaked in the way you suggest to ensure success on the pitch as that just removes that attraction of the club to young players you also mentioned.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Chelsea have put Lewis Hall up for sale for £30 million, which would all be profit as he's homegrown. They are definitely worried about FFP.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m not sure the two bits in bold are consistent with each other. I also think the attraction is a place in the team not just in the squad. They can get in the squad anywhere. You either offer young prospects proper game time or you don’t. Tony/Paul have previously talked about relegation being a possibility with this strategy. I’m not sure it will be tweaked in the way you suggest to ensure success on the pitch as that just removes that attraction of the club to young players you also mentioned.
Disagree 1st team squad offers play time, not even getting there is not. Going to Chelsea doesn't offer 1st team squad.

Our pathway is what is being written about, just that we offer a defined way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A dullard wrote…

So there is a simple solution. Don’t allow amortization of transfer cost. Football has the ability to put a stop to this but that isn’t happening so it’s difficult to take the wailing and gnashing of teeth seriously. Chelsea are being facilitated by the other clubs and they are all therefore complicit.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think I understand amortisation, spreading the cost in accountancy terms over a period of time, but surely they must be borrowing huge sums to pay the selling clubs the transfer fees which won’t be over the same amortisation time scale.
With the volatility of interest rates it does not make any sense.
However if the loans are coming from Arabian money it rather negates the risk.
I don’t think FFP comes into the equation for these clubs as there are enough Arabian owned clubs to spread money around to cover any indiscretions.
I think it’s part of a longer term strategy by Arabian owned clubs which will lead to them all banding together to create their own International league in a few years time outside of UEFA juristriction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here