Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea - Spending well beyond FFP limits or astute purchases maxing out within FFP?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's incredibly distasteful but let's be honest in a couple of years time they'lll be competing on all fronts.
The young talent there is absolutely insane.
Shouldn't be allowed but is. It is what it is.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
A football finance “expert” (not ours) on TalkSPORT earlier reckons they are ignoring FFP and don’t care. Will just suck it up.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it’s within FFP because they are loading all liabilities into the future. Dangerous game to play.

I reckon Todd cares little for the Premier League and is just waiting for the European Super League to come along, which will be financed by the Saudis and feature all the original crooks plus clubs from Saudi Arabia and one from Qatar (after all, they didn’t host that World Cup for nothing did they?)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A football finance “expert” (not ours) on TalkSPORT earlier reckons they are ignoring FFP and don’t care. Will just suck it up.
If true the punishment has to be double or triple relegation. Simple as that. Or there literally is no point.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I get the FFP risk etc, amortised over x amount of years blah blah, but they still have to pay money now right? Where’s that coming from? I know they’re a wealthy club, but Christ. That and the wages. 27 full pros now? Loads on £100k/£200k a week. They’re not in Europe. How can they finance it all? Loans?

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Someone said that on here recently.
If that is the case and they get away with it the whole thing is f***ed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But they know that won’t happen.
prob not. But one day something like the authorities getting a backbone will have to happen…

What’s happening with all the Man City rule breaks on that note? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
There is potentially a significant transfer ban in the offing when their self-reporting of previous financial misdemeanours are investigated. UEFA will definitely be going for them too. This buying spree is disrupting in a way never seen before. Chelsea’s strategy appears to inversely dovetail with the Saudi strategy; stockpiling youth and ditching legacy to a convenient new grossly wealthy market. Still wonder who’s really pulling Chelsea’s control levers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As ever the fair and reasonable answer is obvious and will never happen.

There should be a UEFA wide salary cap adjusted to your country’s coefficient and based on the median audited revenue of the top division of said country.

Too many vested interests and people shitting themselves over Saudi though.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They know UEFA and the PL won't have the balls to kick them out, worst case they might get a fine of maybe 6 weeks' of Caicedo's wages.

Think they've lined too many pockets to fail now. The trajectory Chelsea, Newcastle and City are on, and United will be if they get their Arab takeover, is one giant step closer to the destruction of the domestic game.

I'm sure the 'new breed' of 'fans' from abroad will be delighted when the PL ceases to exist and they can watch Chelsea v Barça and Man City v Real Madrid live from Saudi Arabia on their TV every week. f*** the 'legacy fans'.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sky reporting Lavia deal agreed at 58m …..Chelsea look set to sign there 900th player in a year….ok I exaggerate….slightly

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I'm just glad that the club I have always loved sees FFP as the right way to do it.
I think we are blessed to have an owner who loves his club as much as us and continues to show that there is a right way to make a club successful.
I care very little for the owners who have their clubs as just a plaything or as a billionaire flex to their equally shallow counterparts.
As for Chelsea or the other clubs that continue to flout the the rules, their day (and punishment) will come eventually and the only people I feel a certain amount of empathy for are those fans who love their club too but have no control over the people in charge and the way they conduct their business.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
This is the guy that was interviewed on Talk Sport, but he's also been going through a few things over Twitter the last few days - his account is worth a follow if you are active on there.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There is potentially a significant transfer ban in the offing … UEFA will definitely be going for them too.
Being out of Europe is working in their favour at the moment - that’s why they are getting away with contract payments spread over more than 5 years - UEFA has a limit of 5 but I think by next season the loophole will be closed and the FFP rules will be brought into line with UEFA - at the moment I think it’s more a case of Chelsea exploiting the loophole than flouting the FFP rules per se but it certainly stinks of unfair financial play, morally if not legally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is potentially a significant transfer ban in the offing when their self-reporting of previous financial misdemeanours are investigated. UEFA will definitely be going for them too. This buying spree is disrupting in a way never seen before. Chelsea’s strategy appears to inversely dovetail with the Saudi strategy; stockpiling youth and ditching legacy to a convenient new grossly wealthy market. Still wonder who’s really pulling Chelsea’s control levers.
Well wonder no more, it's...

....Saudi Arabia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here