Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea Fire Sale - who could we go for?

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
The wage structure has increased every year, and we ‘know’ with some players we will push the boat out. I guess the problem is it’s the chain reaction it causes.

Unless the club can really push commercial revenues on, or we the fans accept more player sales then it’s a tough ask I guess.

Even Europa League is only about £20M a season extra revenue
Only £20m... mind still can't compute that as a Brighton fan.

Anyway, back on topic:

Colwill- The perfect signing- if sold going to the big boys sadly.
Fofana- If we were interested before, surely worth an attempt but would likely to have to pay more than they paid for him.
Hall- as @Beanstalk suggested. Looked good in the games I have seen him.
James- A replacement for Veltman for when his back gives in after carrying the leagues left wingers in his back pocket season after season :ROFLMAO:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many Chelsea players are going to accept a move with a huge pay cut?

None. Chelsea are stuck with any of those players on big wages.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Only Levi.

Don't want any of their other hopeless jobbers on massively inflated wages. Leave that to the Palace and Bournemouths and Watfords of this world.

If I've ever heard of any of our summer signings I'll be pretty pìssed off with Bloom.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
According to transfermarkt these are the players whose contracts run out in 2024:

Mount, Kovacic, Pulisic, Loftus-cheek, Azpilicueta, Aubamayang and Silva.

You've got to imagine that most of those will be gone. The only one I'd be confident they'll still be there next season is Silva. The first four on the list should bring in 100+million easily.

Presumably they'd be happy to ship out Ziyech too and Koulibaly if they can find anyone willing to match his wages.

None of them will end up with us.

Looking at that and the money they could potentially bring in it makes me less confident that Colwill will be available.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Three names come to mind for me, maybe four . . .

Levi Colwill, already ingrained in the Brighton way of playing, he would be a seamless fit.

A young left back in their squad, Lewis Hall, potentially an exciting talent, yet to play many first team games, and I've a feeling RDZ would enjoy taking him under his wing.

Ngolo Kante, providing he can be singed at the right price, this is a fire sale, right? At 31 probably too old to improve, so it would be a case of what you see is what you get. Would make a great ready made replacement for Moises Caicedo should he move on.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
According to transfermarkt these are the players whose contracts run out in 2024:

Mount, Kovacic, Pulisic, Loftus-cheek, Azpilicueta, Aubamayang and Silva.

You've got to imagine that most of those will be gone. The only one I'd be confident they'll still be there next season is Silva. The first four on the list should bring in 100+million easily.

Presumably they'd be happy to ship out Ziyech too and Koulibaly if they can find anyone willing to match his wages.

None of them will end up with us.

Looking at that and the money they could potentially bring in it makes me less confident that Colwill will be available.
You think they'll get decent money for that lot? Only mount and to a much lesser extent Kov and pulisic likely to gey anything like a half decent fee and even then not that much. I think they'll be happy to offload the wages in most cases.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Best way for Chelsea to balance books is to sell players who have come through their academy as that would count as pure profit. Of note there are the first team players:
Conor Gallagher AM, Reuben Loftus-Cheek AM, Trevoh Chalobah CB, Mason Mount AM, Armando Broja ST and Reece James RB.
As well as the U21s Lewis Hall LB and Omari Hutchison WG.
They have a couple out on loan who would attract a decent fee in Callum Hudson-Odoi WG and Levi Colwill CB.

Some of those players would come under the umbrella of deadwood (unfortunately not Colwill) but you'd expect apart from Reece James all of the above would have offers listened to at least, especially as half are attacking midfielders or wingers which they have too many of already.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You think they'll get decent money for that lot? Only mount and to a much lesser extent Kov and pulisic likely to gey anything like a half decent fee and even then not that much. I think they'll be happy to offload the wages in most cases.
Azpilicueta and Aubamayang I'd guess they'd release for free.

Mount will go for in the region of 50m I reckon. Kovicic and Pulisic 20-25m each and Loftus-cheek 15ish. Ziyech would go for a similar fee to Kovicic and Pulisic. Koulibaly I agree would go for a minimal fee if anything.

All my guesswork, obviously.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Best way for Chelsea to balance books is to sell players who have come through their academy as that would count as pure profit. Of note there are the first team players:
Conor Gallagher AM, Reuben Loftus-Cheek AM, Trevoh Chalobah CB, Mason Mount AM, Armando Broja ST and Reece James RB.
As well as the U21s Lewis Hall LB and Omari Hutchison WG.
They have a couple out on loan who would attract a decent fee in Callum Hudson-Odoi WG and Levi Colwill CB.

Some of those players would come under the umbrella of deadwood (unfortunately not Colwill) but you'd expect apart from Reece James all of the above would have offers listened to at least, especially as half are attacking midfielders or wingers which they have too many of already.
They also have to be mindful of having enough homegrown players though

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Who would you want was the question - Colwill & Gallagher easily spring to mind. The latter was Chelsea's best player by a country mile the other day....

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
They also have to be mindful of having enough homegrown players though
True, something that Colwill would not help with next season as he'd still be U21 I think.

They have Chilwell, Sterling, 3rd choice GK and as of next season Madueke as half of their home grown list should they wish to name a full 25 man squad, assuming they all stay. Keep James as well as I'm sure they will and that's only three more home grown players they need.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Also to all those
It was a very simple and yet accurate answer, no?

The only players with Premier league experience that we sign are those nearly or completely out of contract. Because money. This rules out the majority of their squad so then it comes down to if any of the end of contract players fancy a pay cut and are not dickheads and are good enough for our team and are not being approached by more attractive offers.

I can't see us signing any Chelsea players this summer although I'd love it if we did get Colwill.
not true though is it. We signed Gilmour from Chelsea, a very highly rated full international for a seven figure sum. I agree the majority of their players are out of our range but not all.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
2. Loftus-Cheek - was mentioned previously, he has the calibre and needs a move. We do like signing British players with a good attitude which he apparently has. He’s also very versatile. RDZ could work wonders for him, realistically I think he would be too expensive for what he would give us.
His wages are absolutely REDICULOUS for a player that is a bit-part player at Chelsea.

He'd had to accept a 50% wage cut to come to us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Insightful stuff, why bother?
Keep your hair on.

It was simply another way of saying 'I agree'.

(And there is no need to reply to tell me that you're bald).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why?

I believe that the wage structure (which I am sure is in constant evolution rather than being 're-thought') is integral to our successful model. We need to be a team that is more than the sum of its parts. And we need to avoid greedy dick heads.
Hope we stick with that. I don't want to end up like Chelsea
Because it we will need a bigger squad and will need to be able to hold on to our better players. Who we will need to give new, improved contracts to in order to keep, I would imagine. I would also imagine that the wage structure is consistently evolving anyway, I bet it is a far cry from when we were first promoted.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK, not bang average but "vastly overrated".

You honestly think putting Mason Mount in Liverpool's midfield would turn them into title contenders in the way that Caicedo going there might?
I disagree with your assessment of Mount, and also think he's an entirely different player to Caicedo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here