Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea Fire Sale - who could we go for?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
With Chelsea missing out on Europe, the implications for FFP and the size of their current squad all sensible pundits and commentators seem to think there needs to be a rapid sale of players come the summer.

It got me thinking whether there could be any opportunities for us. My initial reaction was no because we don’t fish in that type of pond but on reflection maybe there’s some options:

1. David Fofana - we were interested in him before, they are clearly going to buy a top striker so his game time which is already limited will be virtually zero. Given their financial issues would turning a small profit in a year be of interest to them. Ferguson will be our number one but as this week has shown and particularly if we make Europe we need greater depth.
2. Loftus-Cheek - was mentioned previously, he has the calibre and needs a move. We do like signing British players with a good attitude which he apparently has. He’s also very versatile. RDZ could work wonders for him, realistically I think he would be too expensive for what he would give us.
3. Conor Gallagher - linked with him in the press, cannot believe that, too expensive but would be a quality signing.
4. Colwill - if we, rightly, insisted on £50m for Ben White he must be worth the same. He’s not coming here.
5. Carney Chukwuemeka - absolutely quality player. Can’t imagine Chelsea would let him go but if they are desperate for cash and we can offer first team football could we sneak him. Would love it, can’t see it!

Who have I missed?! Could we ask for Mudryk on loan for a year to let RDZ help him get up to to speed in the PL?!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Couldn`t afford any of their wages could we?
Fofana the striker we were supposed to be in for before Chelsea came in.
That probably is the issue but if players are being told they won’t play or even named in next seasons PL squad their demands might soften. We can pay decent wages where needed, see Lallana.

Fofana is the one we were talking to and Chelsea gazumped us and he hasn’t played and won’t if they sign new options up front.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For any of the senior players to make a move, to us or anywhere probably, they are going to have to take a pay cut. I think they will mostly just hang around and collect their wages and continually drag the club down.

I think Chelsea will be forced into selling some young talent that they would prefer not to sell, certainly if they want to find a top striker. Whether they are coming to us or not is a different matter.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
That probably is the issue but if players are being told they won’t play or even named in next seasons PL squad their demands might soften. We can pay decent wages where needed, see Lallana.

Fofana is the one we were talking to and Chelsea gazumped us and he hasn’t played and won’t if they sign new options up front.
I would imagine they would be looking to recuperate some of their costs from Potter and Cucurella so even if we do get one of theirs not likely to be cheap.
Colwill certainly looks like either signing a new contract with them or if the rumours are true Liverpool, Man City etc are showing some interest.

I like Gallagher but again he`ll probably end up with a club who pay a lot, maybe Villa, Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
At some point are we going to have to rethink our wage structure?
The wage structure has increased every year, and we ‘know’ with some players we will push the boat out. I guess the problem is it’s the chain reaction it causes.

Unless the club can really push commercial revenues on, or we the fans accept more player sales then it’s a tough ask I guess.

Even Europa League is only about £20M a season extra revenue

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
1. David Fofana - we were interested in him before, they are clearly going to buy a top striker so his game time which is already limited will be virtually zero. Given their financial issues would turning a small profit in a year be of interest to them. Ferguson will be our number one but as this week has shown and particularly if we make Europe we need greater depth.
2. Loftus-Cheek - was mentioned previously, he has the calibre and needs a move. We do like signing British players with a good attitude which he apparently has. He’s also very versatile. RDZ could work wonders for him, realistically I think he would be too expensive for what he would give us.
3. Conor Gallagher - linked with him in the press, cannot believe that, too expensive but would be a quality signing.
4. Colwill - if we, rightly, insisted on £50m for Ben White he must be worth the same. He’s not coming here.
5. Carney Chukwuemeka - absolutely quality player. Can’t imagine Chelsea would let him go but if they are desperate for cash and we can offer first team football could we sneak him. Would love it, can’t see it!
Chelsea's firesale will be of HGP as they need "pure profit" for FFP terms. You can therefore take Fofana and Chukwuemeka off of the table. Colwill apparently is expected to "fight for a place at Chelsea next season" as well.

Mason Mount will be the biggest sale. Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Maybe Chalobah will join him out the exit door. That will pocket £100m+ "pure profit" and allow them more time to move on players that a new manager doesn't want.

I could imagine we get Lewis Hall as a future LB option however.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Standard are reporting a number of CEO’s attended the champions league game to discuss such matters, including Bloom. Did he travel up with big Rob?

Assuming he might have been at the game but beyond me how they would know what was discussed if anything!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Winstanley, anyone?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Chelsea's firesale will be of HGP as they need "pure profit" for FFP terms. You can therefore take Fofana and Chukwuemeka off of the table. Colwill apparently is expected to "fight for a place at Chelsea next season" as well.

Mason Mount will be the biggest sale. Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Maybe Chalobah will join him out the exit door. That will pocket £100m+ "pure profit" and allow them more time to move on players that a new manager doesn't want.

I could imagine we get Lewis Hall as a future LB option however.
I'm not so sure they will get the prices they think they will get.

Firstly, clubs know that Chelsea are over a barrel here. Secondly these players will be on wages which will make prospective buyers think twice, and even if they do take the plunge are likely to modify the fee offered accordingly.

I do think Mount would fetch a fair bit, but not so sure about the others.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Gallagher is a much better player than this season has suggested. Would also be great to have him because he seems to score against us every game. Imagine if we signed him and Colwill. Total lols. Hudson Odoi would thrive under RDZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here