Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea fans.....

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
The only manager Chelsea fans have been happy with the appointment of since Mourinho left is AVB. At the time the Chelsea fans couldn't wait for the AVB to begin, every other manager has basically been shot down before even starting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only manager Chelsea fans have been happy with the appointment of since Mourinho left is AVB. At the time the Chelsea fans couldn't wait for the AVB to begin, every other manager has basically been shot down before even starting.

90% of them wanted AVB out within 3 months. Including celebrity and ex-player CFC fans. They ridiculed everything about him.

They liked Ancelotti, and were appalled by his sacking and the manner of it.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
90% of them wanted AVB out within 3 months. Including celebrity and ex-player CFC fans. They ridiculed everything about him.

They liked Ancelotti, and were appalled by his sacking and the manner of it.

I'm on about before the reign started.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They are fans whom are given the chance to disapprove of a managerial appointment at an alarming rate. I find it hard to understand a protest when one will finish in the top four/five/six again.

Maybe their protest would be better directed towards the owner? I think, despite their obvious deficiencies, they realise that they would not be challenging for titles without Roman. DO they have the guts to protest against the board and not just an appointment?

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Chelsea fans, twice they played Barca in the Nou Camp in semis of CL, they were only allocated 4,500 tickets.....and they returned about 2,000 each time.

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't blame when for wanting him but you shouldn't be protesting against your manager at a semi final, you should be getting behind your team

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Benitez was brought in to oust the old guard, Terry etc are friends of Roman and Roberto would not have left them out, Roman did not have the guts, so got Benitez in to do the dirty work, knowing the fans do not like him, and so the Interim manager would be the fall guy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't blame when for wanting him but you shouldn't be protesting against your manager at a semi final, you should be getting behind your team

He's done a fine job at Chelsea.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not a personality contest.

I can't say that I find the personas or views on any matter by the likes of Allerdyce, Atkins, McDermott, Villa Boas, Lambert, Hughton, of any interest.

Forgot to add the king of bores ... Pulis. And a perennial whinger about refs being against them. Zzzzzzzzz

Neither do I. I suppose when they're your manager it makes them likeable but Christ, plodders at best. AVB is a bit different, I like his childlike enthusiasm and dry wit. But the others are just job to job, bog standard managers to keep the seat warm for the next guy.

Unlike a Gus Poyet who settles down to do a proper job on the entire football club. Every aspect of it. THAT is a manager. But it does take time. Pathetically, a lot of people have wanted him out at various times in the last two years.

Benitez was brought in to oust the old guard, Terry etc are friends of Roman and Roberto would not have left them out, Roman did not have the guts, so got Benitez in to do the dirty work, knowing the fans do not like him, and so the Interim manager would be the fall guy.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? How many times has El Waiter said he has nothing to do with contracts? Terry has another year for a start. Was ANY of your post based on anything likely to be true or accurate?

synavm

May 2, 2013
Thought I'd add my thoughts here as a Chelsea fan from Sussex.

Basically, I've been a fan since 1994, my family used to keep horses on Matthew Harding's land in Ditchling. At a pretty young age I was convinced to follow what was then a fairly unfashionable team. I regularly attend games (at great expense nowadays I'll add).

A couple of myths I thought I'd dispell- the idea that AVB is the only manager post Mourinho that we haven't turned against before he started is absolutely laughable. I can't really speak for the entire fanbase, but I'll give my interpretations of the reactions we've had towards managers post Mourinho.

Grant we were willing to give a chance but were concerned about his inexperience in the league at that point and were miffed that Jose left.

Personally, I welcomed Scolari with open arms but he ended up extremely stubborn about tactical issues which were so easy to fix, he rubbed a lot of us up the wrong way and looking at the talent he had at his disposal, perhaps he was the biggest managerial failiure we've had.

Hiddink was great and the whole stadium sang that they wanted him to stay before he moved on.

The Ancelotti and Butch combination was fantastic. The wheels came off a bit when Roman sacked Butch for no reason and brought in Emenalo. Personally I'd have kept Ancelotti in the job. I can't remember many people wanted him sacked. Perhaps one in a hundred. I was at his last game away at Everton and I only remember a handful of people calling for his head and that was more of a heat of the moment thing.

AVB was promising but perhaps the wrong appointment at the wrong time. His man management didn't work out with some of our players, I've heard some of his techniques which didn't make sense and was bound to turn people against him. His high defensive line was inappropriate for our back four which is devoid of pace apart from David Luiz, who is pretty error prone as a centre-half.

I was concerned about RDM's inexperience but pretty much everyone welcomed him as a successful former player. I'd have given him much longer in the job. Can't remember anyone at all calling for his head.

As for Rafa, I disagreed with his appointment for obvious reasons. He just isn't compatible. That said he hasn't done a bad job and his work here will stand him in good stead for his next appointment.

I don't think the Jose chants were a protest, more they were done in excitement of the news that had come out.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Will be willing you guys on in the play offs and really hope I can make the relatively short journey down to the Amex next year for a competitive fixture.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thought I'd add my thoughts here as a Chelsea fan from Sussex.

Basically, I've been a fan since 1994, my family used to keep horses on Matthew Harding's land in Ditchling. At a pretty young age I was convinced to follow what was then a fairly unfashionable team. I regularly attend games (at great expense nowadays I'll add).
Haha, yes, I see what you mean. You chose a top flight club featuring Ruud Gullit only 50 miles away instead of our trendy club (8 miles away) playing in a run down ground in Hove in divisions 3 and 4.

You're a glory hunter, plain and simple.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Haha, yes, I see what you mean. You chose a top flight club featuring Ruud Gullit only 50 miles away instead of our trendy club (8 miles away) playing in a run down ground in Hove in divisions 3 and 4.

Chelsea finished 11th in 1994. The equivalent of Fulham or Stoke this season (currently 11th and 12th respectively).

They did not have Ruud Gullit as you stated.

Some of their star players in 1994 included Steve Clarke, Scott Minto, Frank Sinclair, Paul Furlong, Mark Stein, Dennis Wise,Nigel Spackman and player manager Glenn Hoddle.

Yep, he really went for the GLORY when he picked that team Simster. Glory indeed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Chelsea finished 11th in 1994. The equivalent of Fulham or Stoke this season (currently 11th and 12th respectively).

They did not have Ruud Gullit as you stated.

Some of their star players in 1994 included Steve Clarke, Scott Minto, Frank Sinclair, Paul Furlong, Mark Stein, Dennis Wise,Nigel Spackman and player manager Glenn Hoddle.

Yep, he really went for the GLORY when he picked that team Simster. Glory indeed.
Yes, I'm sure plumping for a Premiership team 50 miles away that reached the FA Cup in 1993, and reached the Cup Winners Cup semi final in 1994 was a far less glorious alternative to supporting division 3 Brighton at the crumbling Goldstone 8 miles away. How could anyone possibly conclude that he was a glory hunter?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

synavm

May 2, 2013

What glory? We hadn't won a trophy in over twenty years when I started supporting Chelsea. Plus, I was five years old and knew nothing about football, I was just convinced to support this unfashionable club fifty miles away. If I really wanted to glory hunt I'd have chosen United or Arsenal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What glory? We hadn't won a trophy in over twenty years when I started supporting Chelsea. Plus, I was five years old and knew nothing about football, I was just convinced to support this unfashionable club fifty miles away. If I really wanted to glory hunt I'd have chosen United or Arsenal.
It's fair enough to be impressionable at that age - I don't have an issue with that. A lot of kids support big clubs when they're so young. But lets not pretend it's something it isn't. It is glory hunting.

synavm

May 2, 2013
It's fair enough to be impressionable at that age - I don't have an issue with that. A lot of kids support big clubs when they're so young. But lets not pretend it's something it isn't. It is glory hunting.

How, though? I wouldn't have been able to tell you who were better between Brighton and Chelsea at that point. As I say, I was convinced to support them, I went to the games and absolutely fell in love with the club and once you support a team, you're not going to change.

This argument could go on and on, though. I come from Burgess Hill originally, if I were a Brighton fan a Burgess Hill Town fan could then go and say 'you're a glory hunter! you don't follow a Rymans League team'.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How, though? I wouldn't have been able to tell you who were better between Brighton and Chelsea at that point. As I say, I was convinced to support them, I went to the games and absolutely fell in love with the club and once you support a team, you're not going to change.

This argument could go on and on, though. I come from Burgess Hill originally, if I were a Brighton fan a Burgess Hill Town fan could then go and say 'you're a glory hunter! you don't follow a Rymans League team'.

Indeed.

"Glory hunting" doesn't count when you are using hindsight to define it.

They didn't win anything in the time you started supporting them, they were the equivalent of STOKE CITY in the league and they had no foreign "fashionable" players.

Stoke City made an FA cup final, but I'm pretty sure Simster wouldn't accuse a Stoke fan from Sussex who is 5 years old of being a 'glory hunter' in the same manner. Again, it's hindsight blinding facts.

Though, you did have Nigel SPACKMAN so you were kind of glory hunting by supporting a player with a great name.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What glory? We hadn't won a trophy in over twenty years when I started supporting Chelsea. Plus, I was five years old and knew nothing about football, I was just convinced to support this unfashionable club fifty miles away.
There's definitely no blame for supporting them when you were 5. But equally, what's how 'fashionable' they were got to do with anything, given that you were 5?

But when did you start going to games, who took you, and were they Chelsea fans too?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed.

"Glory hunting" doesn't count when you are using hindsight to define it.

They didn't win anything in the time you started supporting them, they were the equivalent of STOKE CITY in the league and they had no foreign "fashionable" players.

Stoke City made an FA cup final, but I'm pretty sure Simster wouldn't accuse a Stoke fan from Sussex who is 5 years old of being a 'glory hunter' in the same manner. Again, it's hindsight blinding facts.

Though, you did have Nigel SPACKMAN so you were kind of glory hunting by supporting a player with a great name.
Absolute nonsense. It's nothing like supporting Stoke City.

Unlike Stoke, Chelsea have ALWAYS had a large dormant support all over South East England. I grew up in mid Sussex in the 80s and there were dozens of Chelsea fans even back then when they were no better than we were (we were only slightly worse than we are now). And it's not all about current success anyway. Anyone over the age of 40 will tell you they know Man Utd "fans" who say "yeah I started supporting them when they were rubbish and everyone else supported Liverpool". How come those people didn't support their local teams then? The fact is that big clubs have support across entire region. This chap was impressionable, and I'll bet there were plenty of Chelsea supporters amongst his peers.

Oh, and Glenn Hoddle was a big name in 1994 - that is how Gullit was eventually encouraged to join. And none of those players you listed were particularly bad anyway. It seems odd to me that you seem to be using "hindsight" to prove your point, when you weren't even old enough to see any of them play - unlike me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here