Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea - Barca

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
my view point was more i wanted a great game but did start to support barca by the end. they play the much nicer football and its a shame to see ronaldinho bow out as early as this. if chelsea win this competition its a travesty. any team that spends 10m on parker(great talent) then NEVER plays him loses all my respect. good luck liverpool and arsenal.

and its amazing how if someone has the audacity to disagree with everyone elses opinion on here they get questioned and shot down! very sad that people arent allowed to have their own views on a message board really.

Thanks for that! Well said.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Easy 10 said:
A superb foul on their keeper as well for Terrys winner.

I was delighted at that - how many times do you see the ref blow for a foul at a corner when theres the slightest touch on the keeper ? This time the Barca keeper was physically assaulted as the ball came over, had no chance of getting to the ball as a result, and yet the goal stood. As it happens, I thought Collina had quite an iffy game - good to see him book Xavi for diving, but he gave some curious decisions as well.

Top nights entertainment though. The Champs League begins properly as soon as you reach these knockout stages, everything before is just a yawn-a-thon. Can't wait for tonights games.

i seriously didnt think he had a proper hold of the goalie, i think it owuld have been a it soft if the goal was disallowed cos of that. but i only saw it replayed from one angle. maybe if i saw it from another angle.

what was ronaldinhos problem at the end. that was very funny

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i was supporting barca. Every trophy chelsea win, would have been bough by Abramovich. Barca played nicer football and i cant stand that arrogant pratt murinho. Coupled with the fact John Terry tried it on with my misses at the resturant she works, i hope they get knocked out next round.:angry: :salute:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
caz99 said:
what was ronaldinhos problem at the end. that was very funny

According to Sky Sports News just now, one of the Barca players was allegedly racially abused by a member of the Chelsea staff. If true, then I'm not surprised he lost it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
pasty said:
According to Sky Sports News just now, one of the Barca players was allegedly racially abused by a member of the Chelsea staff. If true, then I'm not surprised he lost it.

Someone allegedly called Eto'o a 'monkey'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
caz99 said:
i seriously didnt think he had a proper hold of the goalie, i think it owuld have been a it soft if the goal was disallowed cos of that. but i only saw it replayed from one angle. maybe if i saw it from another angle.
Saw it from a couple of angles, and the fella was more than impeded - the Chelsea player (Carvalho ?) had his arms over his shoulders physically holding him down as the ball came over, and kept hold of him as Terry headed it in. It was actually quite a "long range" header into the far corner by Terry, and I reckon the keeper would have got across to it if he wasn't being held.

Put it this way, if the Albion had lost to a goal like that, I'd have had a major hissy fit, and might even have flounced off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MattBackHome said:
Someone allegedly called Eto'o a 'monkey'.
Given that he plies his trade in a country where monkey chants appear to be commonplace and where managers make Ron Atkinson sound like a primary school teacher, I'm somewhat surprised at his overreaction to a needle-dicked self-important prick of a steward.

Unless of course he was looking for someone to vent his spleen - after his missed chance effectively cost his team the game in what was blatently a grudge match.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well I was well pleased to see Chelsea go through mostly because of the excellent performances of their English players. Terry and Lampard are the heart of that side and Joe Cole had a great game, let's hope he can keep it up and fulfil the potential that we've always known he's got.

I also thought Johnson had a pretty decent game apart from a couple of worrying moments, we must remember he is very young and inexperienced still and was up against mainly Ronaldinho who is the best player in the world at the moment and Eto'o also targeted him. In the circumstances I though he did quite well.

It's nice to see an Englaish club doing well in Europe whoever they are especially we we really stuff it up the big sides like Barca. I'm amazed that people would rather see teams like Chelsea and United go out of these competitions to be honest, it doesn't make sense. Surely if our club sides are doing well the international side can only benefit?

Peter

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Was there last night. Possibly the best game I've ever been to, not the same as watching the albion tho. Disappointing atmosphere.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Well I was well pleased to see Chelsea go through mostly because of the excellent performances of their English players. Terry and Lampard are the heart of that side and Joe Cole had a great game, let's hope he can keep it up and fulfil the potential that we've always known he's got.

I also thought Johnson had a pretty decent game apart from a couple of worrying moments, we must remember he is very young and inexperienced still and was up against mainly Ronaldinho who is the best player in the world at the moment and Eto'o also targeted him. In the circumstances I though he did quite well.

It's nice to see an Englaish club doing well in Europe whoever they are especially we we really stuff it up the big sides like Barca. I'm amazed that people would rather see teams like Chelsea and United go out of these competitions to be honest, it doesn't make sense. Surely if our club sides are doing well the international side can only benefit?

well said chappers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought Johnson had a complete 'mare when he came on. Difficult circumstances to adjust to the pace of that match (I've rarely seen a European tie played at such a breakneck speed), but he was raped a couple of times down the wing, nearly presented Eto'o with a goal, got robbed in dangerous positions and was guilty of giving the ball away cheaply on a couple of occasions.

Good player normally, but it was just one of those "off" nights last night when he absolutely stank the place out.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Peter said:
Was there last night. Possibly the best game I've ever been to, not the same as watching the albion tho. Disappointing atmosphere.
must admit for such a excellent game, the atmosphere did seem very shit!:rolleyes: premiershite fans

Peter

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
I've got access to a season ticket from someone that's away most of the season, and go every now and again. I was down the Kings Road after the game and it was pretty quiet!! you just don't get that community spirit with Chelsea as none of the fans live anywhere near there. Give me albion any day of the week.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
brighton_b0y said:
must admit for such a excellent game, the atmosphere did seem very shit!:rolleyes: premiershite fans

Yup, even Mourinho was trying to get the crowd to make some noise.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I have to say I would not have been gutted if Chelsea went out. They are what is wrong with football and some many 'new' fans.

With regards to their English players, Lampard has proved this year he is quality. I was of the view in the run up to the Euro's he was a form player, but the fact he has carried on this season proves he is class and deserves the praise he is getting and the England shirt.

Joe Cole, a weird one. Built up as the next Gazza, but often flatered to deceive. Got stuck in the rut that was West Ham and when he went to Chelsea, it did not seem the best move, as people could not work out where he would fit in. However he has won his place this year and is performing. Not sure how he fits in for England as the midfield seems settled, but then this was said about Gazza about a year before Italia 90, but he forced his way in and was player of the tournament.

John Terry, cannot work this one out. He is talked up for Chelsea, but certainly there were times last season where he was made to look a mug, the Monaco semi final springs to mind, where the 2 forwards gave him hell over the 2 legs. For England I have never been overly impressed. I still think he has to take some of the blame for the Portugal game, he let Postiga go for the equaliser and then fouled Riccardo for the Campbell's disallowed goal, but our gutter press decided to go for the ref instead. Top forwards do seem to get the better of him, which does not happen as much to Campbell and Rio. However not sure how much longer Campbell will go on as the injuries seem to be more frequent, so he may well force his way in, but I would rather see a fit Woodgate or King play for England, rather than John Terry.

Glen Johnson, well after chuckle brother number 1 we do not have many options at right back so he is always likely to be around the England squad.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
CHEATS. Barcelona were robbed and have a right to be pissed off.
Chelski Grrrrrrr they make me sick!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Croydonbloke said:
CHEATS. Barcelona were robbed and have a right to be pissed off.
Chelski Grrrrrrr they make me sick!!!!
Envy is such an ugly trait, CB. Try to channel your emotions more positively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here