Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea - Barca

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Probably couldn't give a toss either way really. When the Russian/Portuguese/Continental European team got the header, I did find myself cheering, but I also would have laughed if Barca had nicked a goal at the end, so mixed emotions here.

you're being difficult for the sake of it

bigc said:
you're being difficult for the sake of it

I humbly apologise for not supporting Chelski 100 per cent.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Joe Cole is comin of age. Always thought he didn't have a great end product - this week he's proving critics like me wrong

Lamps was anonymous for a portion of match but came back into it strong and Terry is the best English centre back by far and should be national captain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Awesome entertainment.

I was supporting Chelsea mainly for my accumulator (Chelsea, AC Milan, Lyon, Bornmuff - thanks a lot you bunch of lower-league SKANKS), but it was just so gripping I forgot all about the bet. One of the most rivetting games I've seen in Europe since Liverpools 5-4 in that UEFA Cup final (I forget the other team).

Ronaldinho's 2nd was unique - have you EVER seen someone score in open play, from outside the box, when both the ball and the striker are actually standing still ? The bloke is an ugly little GENIUS - he can even eat an apple through a tennis racket.

Fabulous nights football. And to cap it all, as expected, United went out with a whimper. Bloody marvellous.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Woody the Seagull said:
how can people look at this neutrally? surely, people would support chelsea as they're english (well, in theory:lol: ), but i supported chelsea tonite cos they're an english club. anyone else?!

Absolutely, nice one Chelsea, shame about United.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Silent Bob said:
Me too, I support all the English clubs in Europe even though I dislike Arse and ManU. Found myself more involved then usual tonight!

Absolutely, I always support the English clubs (might have to draw the line if palace got in though).

A fantabulous game, and I too found myself yelling YEEEEEESSSSSS when Terry's goal went in.

Edit - just missed something on Sky sports news about the kerfuffle with Ronaldino & Reijkard at the end - someone was saying something about a racist slur? Anyone hear it ?

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Caught the last half hour on SBS. It was a great game even for that half hour. That Ronaldhinio is a bit useful isn't he.

I thought Lampard did well - mjst be hard when you're playing against midfielders who knock it around so well, but he was the pick of the midfielders for me.

One sour note on the English front was that Glen Johnson looked hopelessly out of his depth at Right-Back, but you can't have everything can you!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
London Calling said:

Particularly tense when Lampard went to the flag to slow up play and f***** up:nono:

imagine the flak he would have got:lolol:

Bit harsh to say he f***ed up as he clearly looked like he'd won a Chelsea throw-in in the corner, I think the lino would have got the flak if Barca had scored from that counter attack.

Good to see Cole, Lampard and Terry play a part in all 4 goals.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
London Irish said:
I humbly apologise for not supporting Chelski 100 per cent.

I supported them 0% and was gutted when they scored at the end.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Stumpy Tim said:

One sour note on the English front was that Glen Johnson looked hopelessly out of his depth at Right-Back, but you can't have everything can you!

have to agree with that. he had shocking game and made a lot of errors.

lampard and terry were outstanding.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Fran Hagarty said:

oh, your life must be horrible mate !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A superb foul on their keeper as well for Terrys winner.

I was delighted at that - how many times do you see the ref blow for a foul at a corner when theres the slightest touch on the keeper ? This time the Barca keeper was physically assaulted as the ball came over, had no chance of getting to the ball as a result, and yet the goal stood. As it happens, I thought Collina had quite an iffy game - good to see him book Xavi for diving, but he gave some curious decisions as well.

Top nights entertainment though. The Champs League begins properly as soon as you reach these knockout stages, everything before is just a yawn-a-thon. Can't wait for tonights games.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That first half was AWESOME. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It's what the Champions League was designed for.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
And to start, i think I'll have the, erm, the sour grapes please...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eto'o added: 'The mood surrounding the Chelsea bench was ugly, their coach's (Jose Mouirinho's) expression was ugly.

'If Chelsea win the European Cup it would be laughable. They are not a good team, they scored three quick goals because we let them, but the referee was very lenient to them.

'They say he (Pierluigi Collina) is the best referee in the world, I think he is one of the worst.'

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fran Hagarty said:

my view point was more i wanted a great game but did start to support barca by the end. they play the much nicer football and its a shame to see ronaldinho bow out as early as this. if chelsea win this competition its a travesty. any team that spends 10m on parker(great talent) then NEVER plays him loses all my respect. good luck liverpool and arsenal.

and its amazing how if someone has the audacity to disagree with everyone elses opinion on here they get questioned and shot down! very sad that people arent allowed to have their own views on a message board really.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
REDLAND said:
oh, your life must be horrible mate !!

No it's not!

I despise Chelsea and have never liked them (there's history to that!) so would I find it somewhat hypocrital to dislike a team then "support" them in certain circumstances.

Yes, they play in an English league , but do you honestly think that the Chairman, manager or the majority of the players give two hoots about which country they are playing in. They represent, firstly, themselves and secondly, the club for which they are playing at the time. Yes, I appreciate that Terry. Cole and Lampard would obviously be different and, of course, I'd support them when playing for England.

Why should I support a team I despise in any competiotion? I dislike Manure but I'd rather they had gone through. If Liverpool and Arsenal go through, fine, although I don't support either.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stumpy Tim said:
Completely correct. Although it was nice to see Chelsea playing FOUR English players and winning.

Thinking about it, last night was probably one of the best games of football I've ever seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here