Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea and Hove Albion

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If booing him means that Saturday's Amex has an atmosphere that helps us beat Chelsea, then I can't see an issue. Within the usually acceptable realms of the panto that is a football match, his feelings are secondary to our ambitions. He is hardly in a position to say that this is unfair. What's sauce for the goose...

Harty's article's pearl clutching label of anyone doing it as not 'a proper Brighton fan' is just silly.
Agreed.

I hope the atmosphere at the Amex on Saturday is absolutely POISONOUS. Not necessarily just directed towards Potter, but towards Chelsea FC as a whole, and him included.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This article misses the point somewhat Harty.

I don't think anyone really blamed GP for jumping at the chance of managing Chelsea. Bigger club, Champions League football, bumper payrise etc, who wouldn't ? I was disappointed he took the job, but it wasn't difficult to understand why he would. And on that basis, I'd have applauded him back to the Amex dugout on Saturday in appreciation of what he achieved at my club. I'll give Cucurella a cheer as well.

However.

GP has since returned to the Amex and completely gutted the backroom team at BHA. And with reports of talks with Winstanley now taking place, he is continuing to do so. When a manager departs, you expect him to take along his No2 and maybe a first team coach or two. But since GP has gone, BHA has been systematically RANSACKED by GP and that vile leech of a football club, and it has totally derailed our season. Not that Potter gives a flying one about that.

And thats why I will be BOOOOOing him to his seat on Saturday.
Agree with this although no booooing from me - I'll more likely throw a fistful of Monopoly money his/their way and just imagine if everyone fit that???

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Agreed.

I hope the atmosphere at the Amex on Saturday is absolutely POISONOUS. Not necessarily just directed towards Potter, but towards Chelsea FC as a whole, and him included.

Bloody too right! A gentle ripple of applause for our multiple returning members of staff is not on my agenda. They are Chelsea now and anything to do with Chelsea is a BOOOOOOOOO... from me

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Agree with this although no booooing from me - I'll more likely throw a fistful of Monopoly money his/their way and just imagine if everyone fit that???
I like this idea, I think it'd be pretty funny. Particularly if a large amount of it was luzzed in the direction of Boehly.

It'd also be quite funny if we could make some kind of giant price tag for each stand or something similar. But not that Ipswich banner. That was incomprehensible shit.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
it doesn’t really work like that. He took his first team coaching staff. By your own example the fact Villa sacked Gerrard + 5 is harsh then ? Or surely Roberts & Bruno should have gone with Hughton ?

I think that first team coaching staff are generally regarded as being part of the managerial entourage, they usually get hired with a manager and yes, fired as well.

I wasn’t surprised that the coaches went with Potter but I think the line is crossed in taking people like scouts and recruitment staff. They aren’t usually people who move on with a manager and stripping a club of staff in key positions is a pretty shit move tbh.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So it now transpires Winstanley has been approached as Director of Football. Which is the job that David Weir leapfrogged Winstanley over for at Brighton.

Does anyone still have a problem about someone going from head of recruitment to director of football ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So it now transpires Winstanley has been approached as Director of Football. Which is the job that David Weir leapfrogged Winstanley over for at Brighton.

Does anyone still have a problem about someone going from head of recruitment to director of football ?
He isn’t being lined up for the sporting director role is he? I thought they wanted him to head up their new recruitment team which is the job he’s doing here.

It’s a big leap for him to move to from a department head to the big boss, it’s quite a risk and he doesn’t have the experience of doing the role even as a number 2.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He isn’t being lined up for the sporting director role is he? I thought wanted him to head up their new recruitment team which is the job he’s doing here.

It’s a big leap for him to move to from a department head to the big boss, it’s quite a risk and he doesn’t have the experience of doing the role even as a number 2.
Not according to Andy Naylor - it’s a ‘director of football type role’

So ;

1) why did the club appoint David Weir over Winstanley for Ashworth job?
2) why did the club recruit an external person to be our assistant director of football, rather than Winstanley ?

I have some ideas why but this one is firmly at the clubs door - especially as Winstanley has been here for 7(?) years

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The story of the potential destruction* of Brighton should be a MASSIVE story on Sky sports pages..this is unforgivable of a club like Chelsea although this must be unpresidented. We had been in a super postition and talked about with glowing words by pundits, this is on the sort of level as MK Dons. * there is a much better more appropriate word which I delcine to use!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
The story of the potential destruction* of Brighton should be a MASSIVE story on Sky sports pages..this is unforgivable of a club like Chelsea although this must be unpresidented. We had been in a super postition and talked about with glowing words by pundits, this is on the sort of level as MK Dons. * there is a much better more appropriate word which I delcine to use!
This is hardly the destruction of the club, we've still got the Amex, we've still got Tony Bloom and we've also got £80 million from Chelsea over the last few months. That isn't destruction that is how the football world works unfortunately.

I get that people are angry about Potter leaving, taking Bruno and Roberts on top of the staff he brought with him and now they are coming back for Winstanley but some of the hyperbole is verging on the ridiculous now. By all means lets give him shit on Saturday but we are a long way from being destroyed.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
My IRE is directed at the soccerists of the Kings Road. Boehly-ball and his super-league all stars following closely on the heels of Putin’s lapdog who hid in plain sight for 20 years and weaponised the Jack Walker vision of one man buying the Premier League. Detestable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is hardly the destruction of the club, we've still got the Amex, we've still got Tony Bloom and we've also got £80 million from Chelsea over the last few months. That isn't destruction that is how the football world works unfortunately.

I get that people are angry about Potter leaving, taking Bruno and Roberts on top of the staff he brought with him and now they are coming back for Winstanley but some of the hyperbole is verging on the ridiculous now. By all means lets give him shit on Saturday but we are a long way from being destroyed.
The Premier League is a corporation with one club one vote no? Would have thought it's within their remit to vote for an end to wholesale poaching on this scale while the season is in progress. Or at least align the poaching window with the player transfer window. Scope could include the sacking of managers also. Dare say The Big Six/Seven would object vehemently, but such a move would offer some level of protection to other more vulnerable clubs like ourselves who are indeed in danger of becoming little more than feeder clubs for the big boys

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Yes agree as I said destruction wasn't the word I wanted to use hey ho

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hopefully a few observational chants on the day

“Are you Brighton in disguise”

Also Saw this one mentioned on Twitter

Roberto De Zerbi
He drinks Morreti
He eats spaghetti
He f***ing hates Chelsea

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
The Premier League is a corporation with one club one vote no? Would have thought it's within their remit to vote for an end to wholesale poaching on this scale while the season is in progress. Or at least align the poaching window with the player transfer window. Scope could include the sacking of managers also. Dare say The Big Six/Seven would object vehemently, but such a move would offer some level of protection to other more vulnerable clubs like ourselves who are indeed in danger of becoming little more than feeder clubs for the big boys
Some sort of transfer window for managers could be a potential idea, and if you sack a manager outside of the window you can only bring in someone who is out of work, but I don't see clubs voting for it unfortunately as it's far too much of a sensible idea (and Watford would have wasted all that money on the revolving door they've installed in the managers office at Vicarage Road).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here