Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I have not read one post like that on this thread, you are making it up as you go along. Climb down off your high horse and realise that none of us KNOW the full truth. As it stands he is a convicted rapist, while trying to get an appeal he is not going to apologise. Also the law states that his punishment is that given out by the court process, it is not for the rest of us to continue to punish (unless you believe in lynch mobs?).

It would be interesting to know how many of the 25,000 who have signed the petition demanding that Oldham do not sign him actually have convictions themselves. Let he without sin etc etc..

No he's not. I've been reading this thread since the beginning & there've been plenty

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have not read one post like that on this thread, you are making it up as you go along. Climb down off your high horse and realise that none of us KNOW the full truth. As it stands he is a convicted rapist, while trying to get an appeal he is not going to apologise. Also the law states that his punishment is that given out by the court process, it is not for the rest of us to continue to punish (unless you believe in lynch mobs?).

It would be interesting to know how many of the 25,000 who have signed the petition demanding that Oldham do not sign him actually have convictions themselves. Let he without sin etc etc..

I wonder how many of the 25,000 are unrepentant convicted rapists.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Seagull - didn't BG have a go as well. A few other less memorable ones - 5 or 6 in total I reckon.

I could be wrong but I am sure I only quoted that 1 poster Driver 8 I think, comes from the same place and according to him/ her, the girls reputation preceeded her. I know nothing about the girl so I am not in a position to have an opinion on her.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Jesus Christ I'm getting bored of this now.

Can't Ched Evans get the message, NO ONE WANTS YOU AT THEIR CLUB!

Go away and find something else to do with your sad little life.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
So no Brighton players were involved in a court case where a girl was taken to a hotel room by one guy and eventually ended up in bed with at least one other,with photos being taken?
Did I dream it?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I could be wrong but I am sure I only quoted that 1 poster Driver 8 I think, comes from the same place and according to him/ her, the girls reputation preceeded her. I know nothing about the girl so I am not in a position to have an opinion on her.

Yes, you're wrong...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs, but all of this publicity, mostly from an anti perspective, may have the effect of garnering support for Evans. Only last night, while hearing about it on R5, my other half said despite what he'd done, she was starting to feel a bit sorry for him....

For what its worth, I think he should just be allowed to get on with the job that he's legally entitled to do, nobody benefits from the current status quo.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ched Evans is only 26.

No rush for him.

Why not wait a few months for his case review, then either go forward and repent fully, or as an innocent.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So no Brighton players were involved in a court case where a girl was taken to a hotel room by one guy and eventually ended up in bed with at least one other,with photos being taken?
Did I dream it?
Who was found guilty, what was their punishment, and did the guilty show remorse ? ???

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I can't read 105 pages and I may not beware of all the facts but....

Milliband and the Chief inspector ( and I assume many of us) are against him returning o football not because of the crime (rehabilitated) but because he shows no remorse.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that he was still maintaining his innocence. Surely that's not the same as showing no remorse is it? SDhowing no remorse means saying 'I'm not sorry it happened' whereas is he not saying "I'm innocent of the crime'?

We have all come across travesties of justice haven't we and although he is now seen as guilty in the eyes of the law he does have the right to maintain his innocence doesn't he?

As I said, please correct me if my facts are wrong.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
For what its worth, I think he should just be allowed to get on with the job that he's legally entitled to do, nobody benefits from the current status quo.

This is a view which has been stated by a lot of people in support of Evans playing again. However it is very quick to find out that ex-offenders are eight times more likely to be unemployed than the general populace. https://www.i-l-m.com/Insight/Edge/2013/April/employing-ex-offenders

I have repeatedly read the statement that if he were in a less high profile job he would not be prevented from returning to it. Statistics seem to suggest that this is not the case. It is difficult for most ex-offenders to find work, let alone a dream job. Evans is not being singled out. He is experiencing the same difficulties felt by others being released from prison. Actually, given that he has the support of his girlfriend's father, someone who could employ him in his own business, he is actually in a much better position than most.

There seems to be an assumption that it is Evans' right to be employed in a very lucrative and glamorous profession. This needs to be challenged. Employment as a professional footballer is a privilege of the few, not a right. Most find themselves excluded on ability, some through disability, some through application and some through their own actions. Evans' actions have moved him from being amongst the privileged few to join the rest of the population who have to compromise in their choice of profession.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs, but all of this publicity, mostly from an anti perspective, may have the effect of garnering support for Evans. Only last night, while hearing about it on R5, my other half said despite what he'd done, she was starting to feel a bit sorry for him....

As Spring Hall said he is allowed. No one is actually stopping anyone from employing him.

But, football is a marketing exercise. Even down in the non-league clubs finance themselves with hospitality packages and corporate sponsorship opportunities. What every potential employer is weighing up is the benefit Evans will give to the team vs the negative impact on reputation and revenue. I doubt clubs like Oldham are actually soul searching their morality right now, they're making a pro's and con's list and working out if it is worth it to them.

Are any of us legally entitled to do one specific job? I thought it was a choice not an entitlement. I'm not aware that he's been down the job centre yet looking for work. Or is he exempt from having to do what the rest of the population would have to do because he was a footballer!?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is a view which has been stated by a lot of people in support of Evans playing again. However it is very quick to find out that ex-offenders are eight times more likely to be unemployed than the general populace. https://www.i-l-m.com/Insight/Edge/2013/April/employing-ex-offenders

I have repeatedly read the statement that if he were in a less high profile job he would not be prevented from returning to it. Statistics seem to suggest that this is not the case. It is difficult for most ex-offenders to find work, let alone a dream job. Evans is not being singled out. He is experiencing the same difficulties felt by others being released from prison. Actually, given that he has the support of his girlfriend's father, someone who could employ him in his own business, he is actually in a much better position than most.

There seems to be an assumption that it is Evans' right to be employed in a very lucrative and glamorous profession. This needs to be challenged. Employment as a professional footballer is a privilege of the few, not a right. Most find themselves excluded on ability, some through disability, some through application and some through their own actions. Evans' actions have moved him from being amongst the privileged few to join the rest of the population who have to compromise in their choice of profession.

Have to say I disagree with your last paragraph. He does have a right to pursue a career in the profession for which clearly has a skill for. However, I would clarify that in that it doesn't mean that clubs have a duty to employ him. His father in law could employ him and I believe I read somewhere that he had offered him a job. That may well be what eventually happens if he can't get a contract now or at some future date after due process is completed.

On a general point I would also add that I don't think the word 'privilege' is appropriate. Clubs basically employ players on the basis of what they can do on the pitch, provided there is no devastating 'baggage' that comes with them. Look at the likes of George Best and more recently, Suarez, Terry, Adams and no doubt there are plenty more. There is an element of luck in getting there and you hope they appreciate the position they get to. Many do, some don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here