Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You're saying it's a criminal offence for the people who witnessed what happened to 'hound' her. So have they been charged with that offence? If not, why not?

It is definately an offence to reveal her name. We'll see won't we...

The Bulger killers have had less intrusion into their anonymity than this girl. Just think about that for a minute.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is definately an offence to reveal her name. We'll see won't we...
If his friends have been revealing her identity to the public, that is an offence, and they should be prosecuted. I believe some people on twitter have been prosecuted, so I don't see why his friends wouldn't be.

I agree that it would be sensible for him to say the right thing - to say that he feels bad about the way he behaved etc, but I don't know if he can do that or not. I certainly wouldn't expect him to condone what his friends are doing.

The Bulger killers have had less intrusion into their anonymity than this girl. Just think about that for a minute.
What is there to think about? I think she should be anonymous, that's all there is to it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hasn't she? Are you sure about that? Surely she agreed to press charges? I don't know the details of what the friends are doing to the girl. If they have seen a miscarriage of justice, and their friend wrongfully sent to prison, it doesn't surprise me that they are aggrieved.

So what exactly do you think I see as acceptable? Given your comment, I think it's highly unlikely you have any idea.

Absolute nonsense. Football would be a huge part of his life, so not being able to play it is preventing him living his life as he wants to. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him, given his actions, but if he is innocent then I can certainly understand him feeling he has the right to carry on with his career.

Are any of the people that don't believe she has a right to anonymity posting in this thread? If so, who? If not, then there's nothing to discuss, we all agree that she should have that right.

You're saying it's a criminal offence for the people who witnessed what happened to 'hound' her. So have they been charged with that offence? If not, why not?

When you want to, you could clutch at straws for a living. I know from experience you will go on ad infinitum, but you are lost up a dark alley, just throwing questions about, not really making any points yourself. What I've said is not nonsense. It's no coincidence you're faced with so many different posters arguing with you right now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
you are lost up a dark alley, just throwing questions about, not really making any points yourself.
That's clearly not true.
What I've said is not nonsense.
I disagree, and have explained why.
It's no coincidence you're faced with so many different posters arguing with you right now.
So on the one hand you're saying that I'm not making any points, I'm just asking questions - and on the other hand you're saying many people are arguing with me. If I've not made any points, what are they arguing with?

As it is, I have made points, and some people disagree with some of them. But not everyone disagrees.

Ched Evans is a convicted rapist, and I don't think anyone here thinks much of him, even if he is innocent. That doesn't mean a person with an open mind cannot see an argument why he should be allowed to return to work. It also doesn't mean that a person cannot question the accuracy of the conviction. Doing so may not be a popular thing to do, and make one open to criticism, but I am a decent man of principles, and I stand up for what I think it right.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's clearly not true.
I disagree, and have explained why.
So on the one hand you're saying that I'm not making any points, I'm just asking questions - and on the other hand you're saying many people are arguing with me. If I've not made any points, what are they arguing with?

As it is, I have made points, and some people disagree with some of them. But not everyone disagrees.

Ched Evans is a convicted rapist, and I don't think anyone here thinks much of him, even if he is innocent. That doesn't mean a person with an open mind cannot see an argument why he should be allowed to return to work. It also doesn't mean that a person cannot question the accuracy of the conviction. Doing so may not be a popular thing to do, and make one open to criticism, but I am a decent man of principles, and I stand up for what I think it right.

Have you really just played the I'm principled and decent card!?

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I don't think its been covered yet but apologies if it has but can someone answer what the point of his website is? It is purely to garner public opinion towards himself? It has nothing to do with the legal case or appeals so its purely a self promotion tool or am i missing something?

Surely the website keeps him in the public eye whereas without it he could have kept his head down and tried to let it blow over? I think it actually probably causes more antagonism if anything

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Hasn't she? Are you sure about that? Surely she agreed to press charges?

How could she? She has said she doesn't remember anything that happened that night - it was the police that brought the prosecution.

So what exactly do you think I see as acceptable? Given your comment, I think it's highly unlikely you have any idea.

You have made that patently clear in your earlier post!

Re he should call on those friends to stop hounding the girl: surely that depends on what happened that night. Assuming he raped her, then yes, he should. But what if he didn't, and his mates could clearly see that she was a voluntary participant? IF that were the case, then I don't see why he would.

I can't see any other way of reading the above than that as far as you are concerned it's fine to 'hound' this girl if those doing so believe she consented to what happened - so are you retracting that now and saying it's wrong to 'hound' this girl? ???

SAC

May 21, 2014
I don't think its been covered yet but apologies if it has but can someone answer what the point of his website is? It is purely to garner public opinion towards himself? It has nothing to do with the legal case or appeals so its purely a self promotion tool or am i missing something?

Surely the website keeps him in the public eye whereas without it he could have kept his head down and tried to let it blow over? I think it actually probably causes more antagonism if anything

The website is a PR exercise for him and it has probably worked well for him as a number of people feel that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him despite so much of what is on the website being immaterial, inadmissible in court due to irrelevance (and other legal reasons). From his point of view, despite being guilty and a convicted rapist, he needs enough people (football fans) to feel that he has been hard done by so he can have any hope of getting re-employed in football.

Personally I don't think he stands a chance unless he wins the right to an appeal and that appeal or loses that right and changes tact and becomes apologetic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They should just let him go and Play in Malta.

That would bring problems with him being on licence from prison. The anti would immediately jump up shouting why should they change the rules because he is a well known footballer. The FA should make a statement of their view and clubs be free to abide by it accordingly irrespective of how it goes and the clubs not be subject to ' mob rule' as they are now. If the FA say no just refuse to register him.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Evans crossed into the grey area, and had he got away with it, it would have given a license to others thinking that this type of behavior is acceptable in all levels of society. If this case makes others question themselves and take responsibility of their own actions, it has to be a good thing.

At the end of the day a group of blokes intended to play a sex joke at someone else’s expense and trying to video the event proves this. Had this happened to someone else a few years earlier maybe Evans would have thought twice about how to play out his sexual fantasy.

He may see himself as being unlucky but with the evolution of law in our society and respecting other fellow human beings, the line has to be drawn somewhere and this was due to happen to someone.

From my own personal view I don’t understand anyone wanting to have sex with someone who has just had sex with someone else and this is never a line that I would cross, so I find it hard to make light of the whole sequence of events let alone the actual offense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you really just played the I'm principled and decent card!?
I didn't even know it was a card :shrug: You don't seem to think it's reasonable for me to have a different opinion to you, but I do. And I've been accused of not being decent, which I refute.

How could she? She has said she doesn't remember anything that happened that night - it was the police that brought the prosecution.
I'm fairly positive you're wrong. She can't remember what happened, but she's been told what happened, and she has agreed to press charges. If she didn't think she was raped, she'd just say, and that would be the end of the case.

You have made that patently clear in your earlier post!
That sentence makes no sense. I ask you 'what exactly do you think I see as acceptable?' and this is your reply. It's the opposite of 'exactly'.

I can't see any other way of reading the above than that as far as you are concerned it's fine to 'hound' this girl if those doing so believe she consented to what happened - so are you retracting that now and saying it's wrong to 'hound' this girl? ???
I didn't say it was right or wrong (I don't know exactly what these people have done to her, and 'hound' isn't very specific). I said that if his mates know (not believe) that they were having consensual sex, then they know there has been a miscarriage of justice, and in such a case, I don't see why the wrongly accused would ask them to stop.

He IS allowed to return to work, however, the clubs' bean counters currently think that would be a bad decision economically.

Money not morals. Lost sponsors, lost revenue at the turnstyles.
It seems that others believe that even if he is innocent, he shouldn't have the opportunity to return to work, and I disagree.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
As somebody else said earlier on - Ched Evans is toxic at the minute and any club that takes him on will be subject to a torrent of negative publicity and potential loss of revenue.

My view is that Ched Evans has certainly not helped his position. His website, combined with his lack of contrition at his general behaviour that night toward the victim (immaterial of whether he is guilty as the jury has decided or whether his upcoming appeal succeeds)

As it stands he is a convicted rapist, out on licence, unemployed and with an upcoming appeal against his conviction.

Perhaps he would have been better advised to wind his neck in, let the appeal work its course and in the meantime seek a position within football where perhaps he could start to rebuild his reputation e.g. offering to do workshops to young pro footballers on their responsibilities so they avoid the same mistakes. This combined with coaching badges perhaps.

As it stands I think it is probably too late for this. He appears to have made himself virtually unemployable in football. If, however, his appeal succeeds then that will obviously change things.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It seems that others believe that even if he is innocent, he shouldn't have the opportunity to return to work, and I disagree

Really? I've not seen anyone say that. What I have seen is people intimate that men who indulge in the kind of behaviour that Evans admits he was culpable of, tread a very fine line and leave themselves open to interpretations of the law on consent. Even if he isn't guilty of rape in this case, he does demonstrate a pretty ugly attitude to women.

But I don't think anyone on this thread that would advocate him not being allowed to play if he were to be found not guilty. But the point I'm making is that he IS allowed to play, clubs are making their own descisions based on the econmic reality of appointing him - this would surely change were he to be found not guilty.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It seems that others believe that even if he is innocent, he shouldn't have the opportunity to return to work, and I disagree.

Who has said that? I've not seen this opinion posted on this thread in the last couple of days? In fact I've not seen anyone say he shouldn't have an opportunity to return to work. Again, you're just making an argument, this time with spring hall that is not referencing what he's saying, you're just harking back to an opinion of 'others' I think you might have made up.

It seems to me that a fair number have agreed that he has every right to return to work, but doesn't have a right for this to be exclusively as a footballer. No club is under any obligation to employ him. If football is something that completes his life (as you said on another post), I'm sure there are many non league, or amateur clubs that will give him a run out while he seeks other employment.

Footballers are not special. They should not be given special treatment. No other professional has this right to walk straight back into their previous role after a prison sentence. Many can never return. You seem to think a footballer does.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
................let the appeal work its course and in the meantime seek a position within football where perhaps he could start to rebuild his reputation e.g. offering to do workshops to young pro footballers on their responsibilities so they avoid the same mistakes. This combined with coaching badges perhaps. As it stands I think it is probably too late for this.

Yep he could have chosen to start with working within the football world rather than on the football stage, redeem himself and become the reformed character before returning to the pitch.

We all have choices, and he has been ill advised on his comeback.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here