Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans set to sign deal with Sheffield United after release from prison

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Just read through the website, I've got a lot of sympathy for the fella to be honest. It wasn't that long ago that some of our lads had "similar" issues, and by the grace of god, it could have been a different story for them. If he's served his time, let him be. I won't be jeering him if they come to the Amex with him playing, that's for sure.

Hardly, "by the grace of God". The difference was that our guys were innocent of the crime they were accused, but Ched was found guilty.

If any of our players had been convicted, then I wouldn't want them anywhere near our club.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm not sure "sympathy" is quite the word.

As was the case with our players: they put themselves in that position in the first place, so they left themselves vulnerable to such accusations.

Regardless of the outcome of the case involving the Albion players, not one of them came out of it with any credit. What went on- lawfully as has since been determined as far as Cook, Dunk, Rodgers & Barker were concerned- was nonetheless seedy & disreputable at best.

I understand what you are saying but we need to see it from both sides of the gender coin. As a male it concerns me greatly that a drunken one night stand could lead you to be labelled a rapist. The whole area of what constitutes consent is very mirky. I am trying to be careful and diplomatic by what I say here as I do not want to offend but the term 'rapist' is thrown about far too liberally, to me a rapist is a predator who purposely forces himself against the will of a female.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I understand what you are saying but we need to see it from both sides of the gender coin. As a male it concerns me greatly that a drunken one night stand could lead you to be labelled a rapist. The whole area of what constitutes consent is very mirky. I am trying to be careful and diplomatic by what I say here as I do not want to offend but the term 'rapist' is thrown about far too liberally, to me a rapist is a predator who purposely forces himself against the will of a female.

Couldn't a predator pick on very drunk who couldn't put up much of (if any) struggle?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Couldn't a predator pick on very drunk who couldn't put up much of (if any) struggle?

Of course. I think you know what I am getting at. A drunken one night stand takes place whereby both parties have a hazy recollection of the previous night, she never actually remembers giving verbal consent. To put that male in the same 'rapist' bracket as some of the sick *******s I was referring too belittles the term in my opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But that is a very narrow definition. If I drug a girl, I don't need to use force to rape her. If I hang around in bars or clubs plying a girl with alcohol to the point she has no idea what she is doing, then force isn't needed.

Rape is sex with a woman who does not or cannot willingly consent, regardless of force.

You probably don't need to worry. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acer.12356/abstract is a study that shows men aren't jeckyll and Hyde characters who are perfectly normal when sober but become sexually aggressive attackers when drunk, that most sexual aggression is related to how drunk the victim is, not the perpetrator.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I've looked on that site, if there's something that even approaches grounds for an appeal, let alone a acquittal/pardon I can't see it

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've looked on that site, if there's something that even approaches grounds for an appeal, let alone a acquittal/pardon I can't see it

But his family and friends know the true facts, not those false facts that were presented in court. They just didn't present the true facts because, erm, well ....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

This. I imagine that there aren't many people who can claim that they've never had drunk sex; and it frightens me that it only takes a malicious and untrue allegation from a jilted or rejected partner to turn a man's life upside down. Professional sportsmen have the additional risk in that people may see a potential windfall. For what it's worth, I believe that you're still 100% responsible for your actions when you're drunk. Having sex with someone who you wouldn't normally have sex because of alcohol is a mistake most of us will make - at least once in our lives - without thinking that we're the victims of rape.

I followed the case of the young Albion players with interest. Seems that the police took this to court based on the say so of a complainant (with a history of telling tall stories), who only 'remembered' the identity of her attackers a couple of days after having a bust up with another of their team mates. And, apart from one photo of the girl asleep found on one player's phone, there wasn't a single shread of evidence, despite forensics going through all phones and trawling the internet for photo evidence. What a joke the police and CPS are sometimes.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I haven't followed this case, but rape convictions are notoriously difficult to secure and Ched Evans is a convicted rapist so the jury obviously thought there was enough evidence to prove his guilt. If a convicted rapist was in the Albion side I would not pay to watch him play.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The conviction hinges on the premise that she was too drunk to give consent, she says she cannot remember anything of the night, so she is not claiming that she did not consent merely that she can't remember consenting or not, his co accused was aquitted and he was found guilty, same girl same night. The difference being he arrived at the Hotel after the complainant and his co accused.
The girl approached the co accused and asked him where he was going, he said back to his hotel, she said I am coming with you.

If sex with a girl who is drunk is to be considered rape, even if she is willing at the time, I suspect most of us have been guilty at one time or another. I am sure I have been raped by one or two fat munters, if regret once sober is legitimate grounds for accusing someone of rape.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
The conviction hinges on the premise that she was too drunk to give consent, she says she cannot remember anything of the night, so she is not claiming that she did not consent merely that she can't remember consenting or not, his co accused was aquitted and he was found guilty, same girl same night. The difference being he arrived at the Hotel after the complainant and his co accused.
The girl approached the co accused and asked him where he was going, he said back to his hotel, she said I am coming with you.

If sex with a girl who is drunk is to be considered rape, even if she is willing at the time, I suspect most of us have been guilty at one time or another. I am sure I have been raped by one or two fat munters, if regret once sober is legitimate grounds for accusing someone of rape.

That was in the court case though, the jury has already heard that. They decided she didn't give consent to Ched Evans.

It's not that she was too drunk to give consent, it's that she didn't give consent.

The guy is a total scumbag forcing himself on a drunk girl, end of. Scumbags have the right to rehabilitate themselves, let's just hope it's never at our club though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That was in the court case though, the jury has already heard that. They decided she didn't give consent to Ched Evans.

It's not that she was too drunk to give consent, it's that she didn't give consent.

Has anyone ever had sex, with either a long-term partner or drunken 1 night shag, where they have explicitly been given consent? I know I haven't.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Has anyone ever had sex, with either a long-term partner or drunken 1 night shag, where they have explicitly been given consent? I know I haven't.

Do you often turn up at your mates at 3 in the morning and try and shag the girl he's just stopped having sex with despite the fact that you've never spoken to her before? If that's a typical occurence in your life, you are probably laying yourself open to some accusations.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The fact that she agrees is seen by most as consent I would think. In this case what I find astounding is that the girl never says she didn't give consent but that she couldn't remember, but she remembered sufficient for the other person to be found not guilty, but then he wasn't as well known as Evans, or as wealthy probably.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
The fact that she agrees is seen by most as consent I would think. .

What?

In this case what I find astounding is that the girl never says she didn't give consent but that she couldn't remember, but she remembered sufficient for the other person to be found not guilty, but then he wasn't as well known as Evans, or as wealthy probably.

She went home with the bloke who was found not guilty, she didn't with Ched Evans, I imagine it had something to do with that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The fact that she agrees is seen by most as consent I would think. In this case what I find astounding is that the girl never says she didn't give consent but that she couldn't remember, but she remembered sufficient for the other person to be found not guilty, but then he wasn't as well known as Evans, or as wealthy probably.

I'm not saying he's innocent, but it's this what concerns me about the conviction: he and his friend - the co-defendant - say that she consented to Ched Evans 'joining in'; she says that she was too drunk to remember.

I think I would struggle to find someone guilty beyond reasonable doubt on that basis?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The fact that she agrees is seen by most as consent I would think. .

That was in answer to the question posed by nwgull. It may not be the correct manner but I am sure that it is very near to the average thoughts. She remembered going home with the other chap and having sex with him then her mind blotted out! !

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I'd be pretty disgusted if the Albion were to sign a convicted rapist before he'd even been fully released from prison, irrespective of how good a footballer he is.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same scumbag whose family and friends subsequently named the victim on Twitter, even though she is entitled to lifetime anonymity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here