Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans set to sign deal with Sheffield United after release from prison

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry. Misread your post. He must have something about him.

They may not have been together at the time or on a break etc - it took ages to go through court I think.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They may not have been together at the time or on a break etc - it took ages to go through court I think.

What attracted you to the alleged rapist?

I'm being cruel. It's perfectly reasonable that he is a nice guy and has various traits about him that would mean he is a man in demand.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I'm being cruel. It's perfectly reasonable that he is a nice guy and has various traits about him that would mean he is a man in demand.

He's been convicted. Thus, he's a rapist. Few people would describe a rapist as a "nice guy".

If there has been a miscarriage of justice, the conviction will be overturned. Unless and until then, he's a rapist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a v interesting case - I read a website proclaiming his innocence & was v interesting. Clearly one side of the story but intriguing...

It's unusual to keep protesting innocence once the sentence is served and is still going to appeal his conviction.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Evans, 25, from Rhyl, is due to be fully released in October after serving half of his five years for raping a 19-year-old woman at the Premier Inn in Rhuddlan in April 2012.

He admitted having sex but has always claimed it was consensual and plans to appeal against his conviction.

Still planning to appeal after two and a half years? Sounds a bit strange to me - wouldn't you appeal straight away?

From my perspective, sentence-served or not, it shows a pretty appalling attitude towards women (when you accept that he is absolutely and beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty, as demonstrated by his conviction) and with so many efforts to encourage equality in the game, this sends a rather mixed signal... to me.

Sack him.

Edit - read some of the website now -

Ched now has new counsel, David Emanuel of Garden Court Chambers who is preparing a submission to the Criminal Complaints Review Commission which is the first step towards a second appeal. We believe that due to Ched’s profession, information that was not used by his original defence and other information that has been gathered since his conviction will in time overturn a wrongful conviction.

So his first appeal failed and he now wants a CCRC review hoping to find material non-disclosure that would allow a new appeal.

I remain unconvinced. I'm sure Counsel is happy to take his money to launch such an action.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He's been convicted. Thus, he's a rapist. Few people would describe a rapist as a "nice guy".

If there has been a miscarriage of justice, the conviction will be overturned. Unless and until then, he's a rapist.

Oh, I agree. It was a scenario based on Ched and his girlfriend getting together whilst the case was on going and had not reached court stage.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
With what I know of this case, which I am not going to elaborate on here but it was very local to me, I have a lot of sympathy with Evans.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Someone I know who is heavily involved with the club tells me they are almost certain he will win his appeal and clear his name

He's lost one already. The club would kinda have to say that in order to provide some validity to what I believe is a shocking decision, wouldn't they? How many other employers would re-employ a convicted rapist?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Don't think they were arrested til a good 6 months after said incident so I was more thinking in that period they may have met who knows. You're prob right though, likelihood is she forgave him for cheating on her etc

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Just read through the website, I've got a lot of sympathy for the fella to be honest. It wasn't that long ago that some of our lads had "similar" issues, and by the grace of god, it could have been a different story for them. If he's served his time, let him be. I won't be jeering him if they come to the Amex with him playing, that's for sure.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just read through the website, I've got a lot of sympathy for the fella to be honest. It wasn't that long ago that some of our lads had "similar" issues, and by the grace of god, it could have been a different story for them. If he's served his time, let him be. I won't be jeering him if they come to the Amex with him playing, that's for sure.

I'm not sure "sympathy" is quite the word.

As was the case with our players: they put themselves in that position in the first place, so they left themselves vulnerable to such accusations.

Regardless of the outcome of the case involving the Albion players, not one of them came out of it with any credit. What went on- lawfully as has since been determined as far as Cook, Dunk, Rodgers & Barker were concerned- was nonetheless seedy & disreputable at best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here