Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton planning last game abandonement v Burnley!

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Let's not forget that Charlton beat Middlesbrough.

That was a Charlton team still in with a chance of staying up & a Boro side probably not fully focused due to Krankies walk out

Not sure how much their current players will give - professionals or not. I doubt many will be wanting to drop a division to play for the same management regime knowing how little they care about the Club. I'd even suggest their better players are lining up new Clubs now. We can only hope they man up & do give it some effort but if QPR pull off a win over Burnley before then different matter & less worries

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to think that right now our recruitment team is sending Ademola Lookman facebook friend requests and inviting his dad/brother/agent for a slap up feed at 64 degrees.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
That was a Charlton team still in with a chance of staying up & a Boro side probably not fully focused due to Krankies walk out

Not sure how much their current players will give - professionals or not. I doubt many will be wanting to drop a division to play for the same management regime knowing how little they care about the Club. I'd even suggest their better players are lining up new Clubs now. We can only hope they man up & do give it some effort but if QPR pull off a win over Burnley before then different matter & less worries

Best time ever to put yourself in the shop window as a player if you are playing the top team on Sky surely

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If its abandoned it screws up the playoff schedule, as the most Burnley can be is 3 points clear of us and Boro, so they cannot definitely be first or second at the time their game is abandoned, even if goal difference suggests thats most likely

So what can the league do? They'll want to award a final result, which if its 3-0 Burnley with a couple of minutes left, its reasonable to do, but any closer scoreline, or 30 minutes or more left, they can't do that without facing legal challenges. Replaying the game needs time, which runs into all the issues of scheduling discussed on the "play-offs for the play-offs thread". So they'll feel a lot of pressure to award a final result.

and of course all these shenanigans will make it a no- brainer for Charlton fans to want to get the game abandoned.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Charlton have taken the front six rows of the Lower North (which most of the projectiles come from) off sale. Looks like these seats will be covered and out of use. This is probably counter productive though, since it means people won't be able to reach the pitch with harmless things like balloons and beach balls, so less harmless things like marbles and hand grenades will be used. If the game *is* abandoned, it will be replayed a few days later behind closed doors (fans told this by players who were told to be on call until May 13th as club has been told they have to replay midweek if it doesn't complete on the 7th). I'm all in favour of the league forcing the club to play the original game behind closed doors tbh, particularly if it's on Sky - protestors would still be heard chanting from the car park, and completely empty stands (rather than the usual 50% empty ones) would be a great testament to the visionary that is Roland Duchatelet...

And clearly you don't give a stuff about any chance of Burnley winning a Championship with none of their fans present. You call for fan solidarity? Hypocrite.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
And clearly you don't give a stuff about any chance of Burnley winning a Championship with none of their fans present. You call for fan solidarity? Hypocrite.

To be fair he did mention hand grenades

So you'd refuse the win then? That'd be most extreme fan solidarity. We appreciate that. Very sporting of you

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
None of them are a given. If you look at the final 2 games last season, it was the 'nothing to play for' teams that had the biggest impact on the promotion race. Derby, Birmingham, QPR, Charlton, all of them can have a massive impact on the top 2. I don't know about you, but I am a bit over whelmed.

See what you did there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here