Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton planning last game abandonement v Burnley!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
the problem is whether their cause is just? they are being mismanaged but not facing oblivion, with no apparent owner waiting in the wings to take over. maybe they could focus on finding a new buyer over the summer, then putting pressure on the current owner to sell.

Exactly, the ground is not being sold, they have some good players and a decent youth set up. Disrupting games is not the solution to their problems IMO, that should be a last desperate measure. Is the owner refusing to sell, is there even a buyer?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
the problem is whether their cause is just? they are being mismanaged but not facing oblivion, with no apparent owner waiting in the wings to take over. maybe they could focus on finding a new buyer over the summer, then putting pressure on the current owner to sell.

I supported Blackpool's protest against Huddersfield last season as they are truly in a situation where the owners are dismantling and destroying the club from within. They had a squad at the time that would, and preceded to, struggle in league one. Charlton with all due respect have a squad capable of challenging in league one and the owners, however bad at running a football club they are, aren't trying to asset strip the club and drive them into oblivion.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Burnley will beat Charlton.

If the game is replayed behind closed doors they will beat Charlton.

If the game is delayed they will beat Charlton.

So nothing changes.

2 wins to Premier League. Nothing less. Focus on Derby.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
I seem to recall a lot of whooping & smiles when the Belgiums initially bought Charlton & they crowed how much money he'd spend to make them 'great again'. Doesn't seem to have happened but they've still got a Club that can come back not one as damaged as Blackpool who they compare their plight to.

The situation at Blackpool is very, very different. The Oystons have been screwing the Club financially for years - ok I'll add the obligatory allegedly. Karl (Chairman) made a vow 2 seasons ago (whilst sending texts to a disabled fan telling him to enjoy his special needs day out) that he'd run the Club all the way down to the Conference. He's on target. Their last profits were healthy yet millions went into personal Oyston accounts not Blackpool Football Club's

On Saturday Blackpool play Wigan at home. Protests are planned & it will be the last game for fans who bought cheap 2 year STs. I know a few lads who are going. They're genuine football fans but like 1,000s of other Blackpool fans have boycotted every home game despite having a paid seat for the last 2 seasons.

Wigan have been promoted & on Saturday can become Champions - if their game is completed. The actual protests planned will be revealed on Saturday. For the first time in ages those absent 1,000s WILL go in the Ground after protesting outside. It'll be a riot with thousands of Wigan fans there to see their team go up as Champions & 1,000s of Blackpool fans with no intention to go inside Bloomfield Rd again. I imagine they'll once again try to have the game abandoned. It'll be ugly but Charlton can't compare their position to Blackpool's. They still have their resources, Ground, players etc to build on. Blackpool will fold in my view

Charlton couldn't have a better scenario with all 3 teams more than likely to need something on the last day & goal difference so tight to make their protests be so strong & widely known. It depends if they want to abuse any goodwill from media & fellow supporters they have now & try to have the game called off or be seen to be bigger than that & not take drastic action to spoil the end of an amazing season

In fact it gives us more reason to tuck 6 points away so we're not left sweating on a FL decision :)

News of it has finally reached the Riverside via carrier pigeon http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/...s/final-day-warning-furious-charlton-11243900
Some very complimentary things said about us regards last Saturday's game. My mum was right that you get more back from putting in lol. I bet the FA Crowd control advisor present came back with a brief report

Boro seem to have got the jitters. They're stating all the permutations of scores that would lead to us playing Burnley in a play off for automatic promotion pre the other PlayOffs - really can't see QPR winning 4-2 at Burnley to make that happen let alone us folding. They're blinking first. Birmingham must really be a big fear for them. Such a shame lol.

Just had a quick scan at tonight's Middlesbrough Gazette & tonight they are all about breaking hoodoos (the one B'ham seem to have had on them for a good few seasons). Keep convincing yourselves Karanka (he does know what his surname rhymes with surely?). Those boys are shaking I'd say so with Burnley concerned about the LAST game it seems only us are keeping to the one game at a time approach...which is nice. Calm heads. Six points :)

Last edited:

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
It is hard to get across what is happening at Charlton, from the outside it might seem not that bad, and we're protesting because it is an elaborate toys out of the pram display.
It is also hard to be succinct in explaining.
Maybe I can describe it thus.
When we accidentally equalised against you on Saturday, your lads responded as impressive sportsmen with a winning attitude ought to respond. Your guys fought for a goal, and then pressed home the advantage. Your support were hugely cheered that in a vital (for you) contest, you won the day in this particular sport.
For our owner whether we won drew or lost it wouldn't matter.
You turned up with an expectation that seems so obvious it hardly needs saying, an expectation that Brighton would compete and try to win.
The shenanigans at Charlton come from a core attitude from the owner that results don't matter. To Roland Duchatelet they really don't.
Put aside your doubts about what I have said for a moment and consider if you would want to go and watch Brighton and Hove Albion play a match where the other side wants to win, but Brighton were ambivalent about the result?
This is what we have. it's as if we're playing draughts against opponents who are playing chess at the same time on the same board. Yes we have the same board to play on, the pieces are black and white, getting to the other side is one aim, indeed both games involve queens, and eventually there is a result.
Yeah I know it probably seems weird, but this is where we find ourselves, with an owner who has bought us, scooped out any real meaning regarding our football club from the inside, the outer shell seems sort of normal to an onlooker, but what we're about certainly isn't competing as a regular football club like Brighton.
I wish I could explain it better, but for those interested there are a lot of reasons why Charlton fans are so angry. We have past generations with ashes scattered at the Valley, the club means something to us, and it feel like we are being wound up as a competitive sporting institution.

As for the Burnley game, personally I would love it to be played behind closed doors. If that happens for Brighton events should pan out in a synchronised way for the last game of the season. For Charlton fans it would be a very stark way of telling the football world that we really don't have a fit and proper person owning us. An owner who buys a football club that can't act like a football club!
It would certainly be a first.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
I somehow think that you'd be writing exactly the same self indignation to any other Club Webbo & have no genuine affiliation or love for Brighton but choose us why? Because we walked along with you & joined in your chants? Your comments about how we did things the right way i.e. trying to win a game are maybe tactics you should've used not regard them as something miraculous. Are you for real? We came to get 3 points. Your protests thankfully didn't prevent that or your team

How aggrieved must a Bolton Wanderer's fan feel? They've had no funds & not been able to fill their bench some games. A generous owner who has written off £170m of debts personally so a new consortium can buy the Club & try to ignite it again with fresh blood. The dear old guy writing off the debts is Eddie Davis who lives on the Isle Of Man & is too ill to travel to home games but prepared to pay off an unwise loan so his Club can survive

Sorry but if your protests include intentionally having a game abandoned - more so when so much is riding on all 3 teams being given the same chance of promotion - you've no sympathy from me. Football is full of hard luck stories. Yours is just another one. You welcomed the guy & his cronies with greedy open arms & it's all gone crap shaped for you. Sucks uh?

I'm glad we played you last week not on the 7th May because I really don't think you'd be so flattering to Brighton's future & would try to have our game halted - you went part way last Saturday.

Write to every Club in the Division & see how many feel your intent to have any game called off is right & proper. Stop seeking sympathy mate. You've still got your infrastructure so go away & build on it with the aim of getting back in the Championship & not booo hooing cos life is so unfair. Lots of Clubs choose unwisely regarding investment from abroad. It's a big risk yet you took it & now wnat the football world to share your tears? Grow a pair. You've still a Club. Just not a very good team

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is hard to get across what is happening at Charlton, from the outside it might seem not that bad, and we're protesting because it is an elaborate toys out of the pram display.
It is also hard to be succinct in explaining.
Maybe I can describe it thus.
When we accidentally equalised against you on Saturday, your lads responded as impressive sportsmen with a winning attitude ought to respond. Your guys fought for a goal, and then pressed home the advantage. Your support were hugely cheered that in a vital (for you) contest, you won the day in this particular sport.
For our owner whether we won drew or lost it wouldn't matter.
You turned up with an expectation that seems so obvious it hardly needs saying, an expectation that Brighton would compete and try to win.
The shenanigans at Charlton come from a core attitude from the owner that results don't matter. To Roland Duchatelet they really don't.
Put aside your doubts about what I have said for a moment and consider if you would want to go and watch Brighton and Hove Albion play a match where the other side wants to win, but Brighton were ambivalent about the result?
This is what we have. it's as if we're playing draughts against opponents who are playing chess at the same time on the same board. Yes we have the same board to play on, the pieces are black and white, getting to the other side is one aim, indeed both games involve queens, and eventually there is a result.
Yeah I know it probably seems weird, but this is where we find ourselves, with an owner who has bought us, scooped out any real meaning regarding our football club from the inside, the outer shell seems sort of normal to an onlooker, but what we're about certainly isn't competing as a regular football club like Brighton.
I wish I could explain it better, but for those interested there are a lot of reasons why Charlton fans are so angry. We have past generations with ashes scattered at the Valley, the club means something to us, and it feel like we are being wound up as a competitive sporting institution.

As for the Burnley game, personally I would love it to be played behind closed doors. If that happens for Brighton events should pan out in a synchronised way for the last game of the season. For Charlton fans it would be a very stark way of telling the football world that we really don't have a fit and proper person owning us. An owner who buys a football club that can't act like a football club!
It would certainly be a first.

You didn't mention the interest on the loans to the club that Roland has in place. He is sort of trying to turn you into an ATM dispensing a bit of free cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Been sent this link from a mate who works with a Burnley fan & there is much concern on their various forums plus local rags due to Charlton insisting they will invade the pitch in their last game against BFC in order to have the game abandoned or at least significantly delayed to highlight their upset with their owners

http://www.uptheclarets.com/message...2&t=3342&sid=e41bf7bc0db54b4e5caa9ea7bd38ae7c

The Charlton boys are getting quite worked up & even talk of throwing safety pins or drawing pins on the pitch & various objects at various times then if that's not enough for the Ref to haul both sides off they aim to rush the pitch & stay there. Charlton protest forum:-

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72860/burnley-protests/p10

I've read enough posts for this to concern me. In some posts Charlton protestors are very complimentary to us for joining in their march last Saturday but they wont be doing us any favours if the game IS abandoned & played after the result of our game v Boro is known. The implications are massive - there'd be appeals flying all over the place if Burnley were promoted via a result at the point of the game being called off or a replayed game behind closed doors

The League, FA & Police are apparently aware of this but I hope they have bigger numbers in the home end than Saturday to prevent objects of any kind causing long & frequent delays or to prevent a pitch invasion

I can't imagine the 3,000+ Burnley fans sitting there peacefully either. I've no faith in the league after last season's final day farce at Blackpool when fans invaded the pitch in the 47th minute or so & after an hour the ref called it off & the result at that time stood. It's too big a game to be at risk of neither of the 3 top teams having promotion decided by any other way than all 3 playing & finishing their games at the same time

Sky will be cacking their pants too. Apologies if this has come up already but I've only just become aware of it & it worries me that we might finish our game v Boro & be promoted only for a called off game to be replayed a few days later & then be pipped by Burnley. Or they could award an unfinished game to Burnley if the score is in their favour when the game is stopped

Regardless of it being over a week away there has to be bloody strict measures in place now & reassurances to all three Clubs at the top that the title will be won fairly & how they propose to do that. It would affect Play Off dates too if a game was replayed

Not a good sign that Charlton Athletic players have been told to keep the following week clear as a further game may need playing - that tells me their Club is expecting an abandonment going off that. Have we any pull with the lads at Charlton to protest but let the game be fulfilled?

This worries me a lot after reading the contradictory statements from the League regarding abandoned matches. This for instance

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=d486242d-f049-454e-9747-d9e3df3eaab1

It takes some reading but will somebody else delve in & let me know what you think. It's causing Burnley fans to flap but they could end up with an awarded game or play knowing our result v Boro so have a big advantage. Hope this doesn't go down

As long as we do our job in the next 2 games whatever happens in that game will be irrelevant.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This is all a good excuse for Sky to not show Charlton v Burnley and instead concentrate on Wednesday or Leeds.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It takes some reading but will somebody else delve in & let me know what you think. It's causing Burnley fans to flap but they could end up with an awarded game or play knowing our result v Boro so have a big advantage. Hope this doesn't go down

If the game is abandoned the League have the following options:

1. Let the result and score stand as it was at the time of the abandonment
2. Re-start the game at a later date and just play the remaining minutes with the score from the minutes previously played remaining at the start of the unplayed minutes
3. Declare the first game as void and play a new 90 minutes

The only way I can see the League taking option 1 is if it does not effect the final league position of Burnley
While option 2 is used in Spain I don't recall this being used in England
The obvious solution would be 3, but whether this should be behind closed doors, or just Burnley fans allowed in, or some Charlton fans would probably be down to a discussion between the clubs, the League and the local Police.

If the protest are similar to our game, then I could see the 2nd half at the Riverside being delayed until the Charlton game is ready to restart to at least ensure some form of parity,

What we dont want is for the final league positions to be decided in a Court of Law sometime in July.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Don't care. If the Charlton fans think it's their best option - more power to them. They'll be a result one way or another, just as there would be if they didn't invade and if we've won our games we'll go up regardless of what it is.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
I somehow think that you'd be writing exactly the same self indignation to any other Club Webbo & have no genuine affiliation or love for Brighton but choose us why? Because we walked along with you & joined in your chants? Your comments about how we did things the right way i.e. trying to win a game are maybe tactics you should've used not regard them as something miraculous. Are you for real? We came to get 3 points. Your protests thankfully didn't prevent that or your team

How aggrieved must a Bolton Wanderer's fan feel? They've had no funds & not been able to fill their bench some games. A generous owner who has written off £170m of debts personally so a new consortium can buy the Club & try to ignite it again with fresh blood. The dear old guy writing off the debts is Eddie Davis who lives on the Isle Of Man & is too ill to travel to home games but prepared to pay off an unwise loan so his Club can survive

Sorry but if your protests include intentionally having a game abandoned - more so when so much is riding on all 3 teams being given the same chance of promotion - you've no sympathy from me. Football is full of hard luck stories. Yours is just another one. You welcomed the guy & his cronies with greedy open arms & it's all gone crap shaped for you. Sucks uh?

I'm glad we played you last week not on the 7th May because I really don't think you'd be so flattering to Brighton's future & would try to have our game halted - you went part way last Saturday.

Write to every Club in the Division & see how many feel your intent to have any game called off is right & proper. Stop seeking sympathy mate. You've still got your infrastructure so go away & build on it with the aim of getting back in the Championship & not booo hooing cos life is so unfair. Lots of Clubs choose unwisely regarding investment from abroad. It's a big risk yet you took it & now wnat the football world to share your tears? Grow a pair. You've still a Club. Just not a very good team

Speaking personally I don't want the game abandoned. I suspect it will unfold in a similar way to the Brighton one, but of course I am not in control of events as an individual, and some Charlton fans are riled enough to not worry about consequences.
I have posted here not to seek sympathy, but to try, probably clumsily, to be informative. if it comes across as self-indignation, then I regret that.
I think you have a point that we are simply yet another hard luck story, and are simply yet another bunch of fans protesting, as Brighton fans were against York City 20 years ago.
Far from boo hooing about the unfairness of life, I am a fan that has tried to take some action rather than doing nothing. It is what it is, action and reaction if you like.
As for a any good vibes towards Brighton from Charlton fans similar to myself, well I felt positive about Brighton before we played the other day, and I feel even more positive about Brighton now. I certainly have a much higher regard for Brighton than a lot of other teams.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
If the game is abandoned the League have the following options:

1. Let the result and score stand as it was at the time of the abandonment
2. Re-start the game at a later date and just play the remaining minutes with the score from the minutes previously played remaining at the start of the unplayed minutes
3. Declare the first game as void and play a new 90 minutes

The only way I can see the League taking option 1 is if it does not effect the final league position of Burnley
While option 2 is used in Spain I don't recall this being used in England

Option 2 has been used in England only last year in a England woman's International. A penalty was wrongly disallowed with 18 seconds left. Both teams came back to finish off the last seconds days later. The 18 second game was England v Norway Ladies U19s in 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3g_JKBYj0

You're right about it being applied in Spain too - an 87th minute abandonment in a La Liga game resulted in both teams playing out the last few minutes some days later although it's usual here to replay the entire match.

But it HAS happened so let's say Burnley need 3 points and are 1-0 up with only minutes to go & the game is abandoned - how happy would they be to have play an entire 90 minutes again beginning at 0-0? It's sadly a possibility as it's happened before so we could win both matches & STILL not know for sure (depending on GD)

It's why I said right at the start I've no faith in the authorities getting it right but more so why I am strongly against Charlton halting a game. Let all 3 teams play their last games for a full 90 minute duration & let's make sure with 2 wins. No complaints then....unless the Charlton game is called off & Burnley resume with prior knowledge of our score with only part of the 90 to play. Arggh. It's the sodding permutations & lack of consistency in similar situations.

It's firmly down to the Police & Crowd Control to ensure that Burnley game is played in full

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/105-Go ... ly-endings

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here