Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think I was with you :thumbsup:

Charlie always been sound when I've met him.

Ps - I had no idea he was over with Gus in Greece! Is Tanno there too?

Yes the three musketeers are together out there.

I've met Charlie on several occasions, sponsors' dinners, and at a couple of his testimonial dos. He was always polite, friendly and funny with plenty of time for everybody.
There's always going to be those who think it is cool to slate others, whether there's any truth in it or not.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've not met him personally, but I used to work with his daughter. Obviously finding out who her old man was made me incredibly nervous, but one day she asked me if I wanted his autograph, and if so she'd get it. As it happened I had the programme from the previous nights game (Millwall in the second Amex season if you're interested!) in my work bag, so gave it to her and thought nothing of it. Two days later she hands it back, covered in the whole squads autographs. Lovely gesture.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Top Class fella, It "spoiled" my first wedding anniversary meal at the cross bush, Arundel meeting Charlie. Poor bloke I chewed his ear off, all he wanted was a quiet drink. My daughter met him at the Albion Christmas party and he was a proper gentleman.

Did he take half his weight on his elbows?:)

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
He's polite to people at work functions ?! That's a massive surprise :)

I know differently to 99% of the autograph hunters on here.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
My interactions with Charlie Oatway tell me that he's a decent bloke. Ian Hart once lined me up to take part in his phone-in programme and I accepted the invitation. As soon as I sat down next to Harty, Charlie turned up and I discovered that Harty wanted a head to head debate about the rights and wrongs of Albion fans boycotting the upcoming Wimbledon v Albion game at Selhurst Park. Why me? Apparently I'd expressed support for AFC Wimbledon on NSC in their spat with the Football League about Wimbledon's intentions to turn themselves into MK Dons. The Albion Supporters Club were planning a trip to the AFC Wimbledon game on the day of the Selhurst Park fixture. I wasn't even a member of the Supporters Club, but Harty had lined me up to get the sharp end of Mr Oatway's tongue.

"Albion supporters should support the Albion" was the simple message. I didn't disagree, although I went through the motions of saying that AFC Wimbledon were on the right side of the argument that they were in. Charlie put his point and we didn't fall out. It must have made very dull radio.

The other occasion that springs to mind is the Boxing Day fixture at QPR, when a group of us bumped into him in the bar, post-match. For some reason, he'd been refused admission to the Players' bar (despite being Albion captain on the day and his well-known lifelong connection with QPR). He wasn't too fussed, though, and simply invited us to join him in the "public" bar for a drink.

An all round decent bloke.

He invited you to a "public bar" ?! Ha ha man of the people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I though it was particularly brave of him to come out as illiterate. I can imagine that wasn't an easy thing to do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He's polite to people at work functions ?! That's a massive surprise :)

I know differently to 99% of the autograph hunters on here.

Your original post suggests all you have is hearsay - not that you've ever met him. So you can insult people who have met him with the phrase 'autograph hunters' if you like but all it does is make you look a bit of a tosser.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I've met him twice. In 2004 at an Albion raceday at Brighton he posed for a picture holding my then baby daughter and a few years later at Fontwell races where i bought him a drink. Decent bloke, very friendly and lots of time to talk. Could not speak more highly of him.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Full disclosure. I have met Charlie on many occasions. I used to be his shirt sponsor. He is a top bloke.

As for the comments about bullying. It's no secret that he was subject to a full investigation as part of the disciplinary process instigated by the club and their HR team. At the end of that, Charlie wasn't dismissed and no case was proven. He left the club without a stain on his character other than having had a great deal of mud thrown at him both internally and externally and many allowed the story that he had defecated on the dressing room floor to permeate even though the club were aware that it was the palace coach driver.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I met him once in Liquid Lounge Worthing when he was out with his broken leg. He was great and told some AMAZING stories about Leon Knight, who he seemed to dislike with quite a passion.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
My second favourite Albion player of the Adams Pt1 / Withdean era! Mr 110%

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do wonder what people really expect from footballers / celebrities.

Yes, I know they are in the public eye and they should feel grateful for the position they have etc, but afterall most people have got there through hard work, ambition and sheer determination. When I've been sat with anyone "of public interest" I've always been disturbed by how much crap they have to deal with. Someone who is clearly on a night out, not working and people feel they can approach at will and request photos, autographs, can you talk on my mobile etc etc, even when they are clearly eating a meal.

If, and it is occassionally in my experience, said person isn't 100% focussed on them then some will say they're miserable or ungratfeul (or just trying to have a bloody meal with friends without being disturbed?)

Give they guy a break, he was a great servant and very loyal player at the Albion and well thought of by many from that era.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I do wonder what people really expect from footballers / celebrities.

Yes, I know they are in the public eye and they should feel grateful for the position they have etc, but afterall most people have got there through hard work, ambition and sheer determination. When I've been sat with anyone "of public interest" I've always been disturbed by how much crap they have to deal with. Someone who is clearly on a night out, not working and people feel they can approach at will and request photos, autographs, can you talk on my mobile etc etc, even when they are clearly eating a meal.

If, and it is occassionally in my experience, said person isn't 100% focussed on them then some will say they're miserable or ungratfeul (or just trying to have a bloody meal with friends without being disturbed?)

Give they guy a break, he was a great servant and very loyal player at the Albion and well thought of by many from that era.

Can't remember the game but in the WSU concourse last season Chris Kamara sprinted through hoping to escape before being spotted .

No chance of that as he was overwhelmed by a mob of sad souls who just had to have a photo with him on their phones .

Can someone explain why anyone would embarrass themselves to fawn over a minor celebrity ( and an ex pompey player for gawds sake ) ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Can't remember the game but in the WSU concourse last season Chris Kamara sprinted through hoping to escape before being spotted .

No chance of that as he was overwhelmed by a mob of sad souls who just had to have a photo with him on their phones .

Can someone explain why anyone would embarrass themselves to fawn over a minor celebrity ( and an ex pompey player for gawds sake ) ?

Unbelievable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here