Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Not going to name names on a forum, but the bloke who told me works for the Sussex FA. He's not one to start pointless rumours either. According to him Oatway liked to pick on some of the younger players. Was quite known for it in fact.

I've never met Charlie myself so I can't judge, he could be a lovely bloke.

The bloke who works for the Sussex FA should be sacked for :bla: blabbing

My interactions with Charlie Oatway tell me that he's a decent bloke. Ian Hart once lined me up to take part in his phone-in programme and I accepted the invitation. As soon as I sat down next to Harty, Charlie turned up and I discovered that Harty wanted a head to head debate about the rights and wrongs of Albion fans boycotting the upcoming Wimbledon v Albion game at Selhurst Park. Why me? Apparently I'd expressed support for AFC Wimbledon on NSC in their spat with the Football League about Wimbledon's intentions to turn themselves into MK Dons. The Albion Supporters Club were planning a trip to the AFC Wimbledon game on the day of the Selhurst Park fixture. I wasn't even a member of the Supporters Club, but Harty had lined me up to get the sharp end of Mr Oatway's tongue.

"Albion supporters should support the Albion" was the simple message. I didn't disagree, although I went through the motions of saying that AFC Wimbledon were on the right side of the argument that they were in. Charlie put his point and we didn't fall out. It must have made very dull radio.

The other occasion that springs to mind is the Boxing Day fixture at QPR, when a group of us bumped into him in the bar, post-match. For some reason, he'd been refused admission to the Players' bar (despite being Albion captain on the day and his well-known lifelong connection with QPR). He wasn't too fussed, though, and simply invited us to join him in the "public" bar for a drink.

An all round decent bloke.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've heard several times he's a complete tit. A look away while he's talking to you type of person. Each to there own I suppose.

I've met him three times - once in a nightclub with two women hanging off him. Despite me being pissed off my head he was happy to chat and even buy me a drink. Met him twice at Withdean in the days when the players turned up at midday and sauntered around the ground - he was perfectly pleasant both times and stopped for a chat. If that's the actions of a tit then I'll happily carry on meeting tits.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have heard both sides to how he is, personally until I meet him I have no particular view and I have no particular desire to meet him anyway, not for any other reason than I have no genuine reason to suppose he will divulge any in depth information that might excite me and just meeting someone for no other reason seems a bit naff to me..

I do sometimes wonder how anyone can fall out with a polite fan in an appropriate situation, surely everyone can be nice for 30 seconds ...................

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have heard both sides to how he is, personally until I meet him I have no particular view and I have no particular desire to meet him anyway, not for any other reason than I have no genuine reason to suppose he will divulge any in depth information that might excite me and just meeting someone for no other reason seems a bit naff to me..

I do sometimes wonder how anyone can fall out with a polite fan in an appropriate situation, surely everyone can be nice for 30 seconds ...................

Do you have trouble breathing in & out :moo:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My interactions with Charlie Oatway tell me that he's a decent bloke. Ian Hart once lined me up to take part in his phone-in programme and I accepted the invitation. As soon as I sat down next to Harty, Charlie turned up and I discovered that Harty wanted a head to head debate about the rights and wrongs of Albion fans boycotting the upcoming Wimbledon v Albion game at Selhurst Park. Why me? Apparently I'd expressed support for AFC Wimbledon on NSC in their spat with the Football League about Wimbledon's intentions to turn themselves into MK Dons. The Albion Supporters Club were planning a trip to the AFC Wimbledon game on the day of the Selhurst Park fixture. I wasn't even a member of the Supporters Club, but Harty had lined me up to get the sharp end of Mr Oatway's tongue.

"Albion supporters should support the Albion" was the simple message. I didn't disagree, although I went through the motions of saying that AFC Wimbledon were on the right side of the argument that they were in. Charlie put his point and we didn't fall out. It must have made very dull radio.

The other occasion that springs to mind is the Boxing Day fixture at QPR, when a group of us bumped into him in the bar, post-match. For some reason, he'd been refused admission to the Players' bar (despite being Albion captain on the day and his well-known lifelong connection with QPR). He wasn't too fussed, though, and simply invited us to join him in the "public" bar for a drink.

An all round decent bloke.

Ed you never made dull radio😀

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
:) this thread seems a bit too much for you to be bovered with:wink:

Ah ok, no my point is a casual meeting at a restaurant on a Wednesday afternoon is unlikely to offer an insight to an ex players/coach personality, its just a polite meeting, my mates a prime example, he is a charming guy in short bursts, other than that I can confirm he has no endearing features at all, but a mate nonetheless !!

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Met him once , nice bloke .
Mate of mine did stewarding on the players car park when they trained at falmer , said Charlie would always ask if he want a cup of tea and make him one if he did.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Ah ok, no my point is a casual meeting at a restaurant on a Wednesday afternoon is unlikely to offer an insight to an ex players/coach personality, its just a polite meeting, my mates a prime example, he is a charming guy in short bursts, other than that I can confirm he has no endearing features at all, but a mate nonetheless !!

Sounds like all of 'Wrong Directions' mates - they all buggered off to the North Stand and left me on my tod in East Upper- can't think why :rolleyes:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Top Class fella, It "spoiled" my first wedding anniversary meal at the cross bush, Arundel meeting Charlie. Poor bloke I chewed his ear off, all he wanted was a quiet drink. My daughter met him at the Albion Christmas party and he was a proper gentleman.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Knew him very well and a top bloke who used to come to kids football with me on a Sunday morning and loved it.
A great mate and always had time to chat to all the young lads and even would come down and take the kids training sessions

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

As a fan I'd like the opportunity to meet anyone who had given their all for the club over many seasons as Charlie did, if only to tell him how much I'd appreciated his efforts. I wouldn't necessarily expect to be excited by in-depth information.

As it happens I've been fortunate enough to meet Charlie a few times and never found him to be anything but genuine and funny.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I managed to get into the players bar after the Plymouth away promotion match and took a picture of the team celebrating. Charlie got me a copy signed by all the players in exchange for copies of the photo for each of the players. Good work in my book.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Met him at a "function" in the Seafield, yes that Seafield in Church Road. Came across as a genuine guy. The fella's he was with were not be messed with I would say!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Only met him once, at a sponsors dinner, but found him to be very pleasant and friendly. He was making a point of going around checking that everything was OK and everyone was enjoying themselves.

I think I was with you :thumbsup:

Charlie always been sound when I've met him.

Ps - I had no idea he was over with Gus in Greece! Is Tanno there too?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As a fan I'd like the opportunity to meet anyone who had given their all for the club over many seasons as Charlie did, if only to tell him how much I'd appreciated his efforts. I wouldn't necessarily expect to be excited by in-depth information.

As it happens I've been fortunate enough to meet Charlie a few times and never found him to be anything but genuine and funny.

Fair enough, thats perhaps where we differ ....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here