Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Oatway

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
André Villas-Boas didn't play professionally, but is successful. Charlie Oatway has that wonderful charisma to be a first class coach in my opinion. Charlie has passion for his trade a qualification of paramount importance to be a success.

Generally, I think the subtext of the question of how Charlie Oatway is qualified to coach Poyet's Albion side is more to do with the disparity between Oatway's no nonsense style as a professional footballer and the continental passing style of the Poyet's first team, rather than what level Oatway played professional football.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I notice many people, including me, have had run ins with LondonBlue.

On this thread he's been caught belittling someone who is achieving huge success at Uni despite dyslexia, and even then LondonBlue bites back trying to justify that HE is the one in the right.

What a horrible, sick, bitter, little tosspot you really are LondonBlue.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Generally, I think the subtext of the question of how Charlie Oatway is qualified to coach Poyet's Albion side is more to do with the disparity between Oatway's no nonsense style as a professional footballer and the continental passing style of the Poyet's first team, rather than what level Oatway played professional football.

True :) I was just going off the question slightly. Sorry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What qualifications do you need to hand out bibs and place cones on the ground?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To answer the original point I suspect that Gus wanted Charlie to bring into the dressing room that mysterious factor that brings individuals together and makes them want to play for each other, makng sure that no-one gets carried away with themselves. I would think he also brings an altenative opinion to the tactics discussions. And he has also played a bit, and I assume done his badges. And he also provides continuity.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Generally, I think the subtext of the question of how Charlie Oatway is qualified to coach Poyet's Albion side is more to do with the disparity between Oatway's no nonsense style as a professional footballer and the continental passing style of the Poyet's first team

His attitude was no-nonsense but he wasn't devoid of technical ability. He could cross and pass. Poyet kept him on because they got on brilliantly from Poyet's first day in the job and Oatway is clearly extremely loyal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ferguson is often mentioned in that context, but it's not true. He played over 300 games in the monkey tennis leagues (in the days when they were actually not shit) and scored 170 goals.

Nevertheless, unless he turned out for either Celtic or Rangers, (which he didn't), it was never exactly Premiership or Championship quality.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thanks. Haha. All you picking up on my spelling and asking what I do at uni. I get it, I can't spell, I'm dyslexic as shit, but I came to terms with it along time ago. I'm doing a Masters in Anthropology, and I have a First in Business Management (which I did whilst working full time), so I'm sorry if my spelling offends you but is dosn't bother me.

30 - Love, new balls!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
One thing I know is that whenever Poyet has some potentially difficult questions to answer, like commenting on the reading job, his love affair with Leeds or Luis Suarez, he shoves poor Oatway into the press conference room.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
One thing I know is that whenever Poyet has some potentially difficult questions to answer, like commenting on the reading job, his love affair with Leeds or Luis Suarez, he shoves poor Oatway into the press conference room.

It has been posted elsewhere that the club deliberately do this. Apparently Sky Sports were turning up, asking no Brighton-related questions and just asking about Chelsea/Suarez/Other jobs. Therefore, whenever sky ask to attend, the club put up Oatway or Tanno.

If I'm honest, I prefer both Oatway and Tanno's interviews to Gus'. Oatway is funny, and Tanno uses fewer words, but manages to say so much more with them.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It has been posted elsewhere that the club deliberately do this. Apparently Sky Sports were turning up, asking no Brighton-related questions and just asking about Chelsea/Suarez/Other jobs. Therefore, whenever sky ask to attend, the club put up Oatway or Tanno.

If I'm honest, I prefer both Oatway and Tanno's interviews to Gus'. Oatway is funny, and Tanno uses fewer words, but manages to say so much more with them.

Yes but the point still stands, Poyet doesn't answer the difficult questions. Through the Reading job offer, after coming back from Barbados we had 3 press conferences without him. Oatway did 2 and Tano did 1. If we get up to the prem, he'll have to get used to answering some pretty difficult questions. Oatway is quite good at the conferences but there's been a few times when Poyet hasn't shown up to answer to the press. It doesn't matter who it is, he should learn to deal with awkward questions. Imagine the prem when he has the Mail, Sun, Mirror etc etc asking questions. Man up Gus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here