Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Oatway

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Good to question Charlie's role / abilities when we are 4th in the Championship and have the best team we've ever had.

But hey, was HAS he brought to the club?

Dyslexics? There orl tuncs.

I_am_JOSH

Nov 30, 2012
Sussex Uni
I love the way people defend the odd misspelling by claiming they are dyslexic. The rest of your posts would suggest otherwise.

I Bet you're a great guy to meet. You've never even met me. Dislexia is a lot more than spelling, it wasn't me who brought that up. Whether I spell something write or not essentially boils down to whether the auto correct on my phone predicts it right or not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For starters, a UEFA A Licence. Then there's the fact that Gus says Charlie is someone he can trust 100 percent, doesn't just tell him what he thinks he wants to hear and is a great coach (Gus's words, not mine). Not bad to be going on with.

Don't go posting facts on this thread. It's far more important to criticise someone for their spelling.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Difference between being pedantic, because it is actually E=MC with a small superscript 2, but shortened on a non HTML facility would be E=MC2 as opposed to spelling seems as 'seams'. Good try at belittling though, 3/10.

But a full 10/10 for your belittling of a dyslexic bloke trying to start a discussion. Top work Einstein!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But a full 10/10 for your belittling of a dyslexic bloke trying to start a discussion. Top work Einstein!

I don't even feel the need to answer this, patronising and belittling in one thread, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I love the way people defend the odd misspelling by claiming they are dyslexic. The rest of your posts would suggest otherwise.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You are incredibly narrow minded

I don't actually believe that. I work in an SEN school. I was simply trying to antagonise the OP for his apparent dislike of Oatway. Nothing sinister, m'lud.

Edit: Although it was of poor taste, for which I apologise.

Last edited:

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Forgive me if this seams a bit nieve, but what qualifies him to be our head coach? (Apart for his obvious commitment to the Albion). That's not to say that that he has done a bad job, quite the opposite, but I wonder how? Has he played at this level before? Is coaching at this level more about leading and organising than teaching technical skills?

Is he likely to be head coach if we go up?

To answer your main question, the way he has done the job so far qualifies him to continue doing it.

Coaching is a lot about leading and organising, and also communication, transmitting what the manager wants, and above all I think being a link between the manager and the players. I think he has great personal skills and rapport with the players and everyone else working at the club.

Oct 25, 2003
i doubt gus would have him around if he wasn't up to it...it's not like we'd have much trouble attracting a decent coach to replace him

and even if he hadn't played at this level before (which he has, for us), playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability

he was always a fairly limited player, but from what i've heard his character (to a certain extent) made up for it, and made him important to the team. ...I'd imagine that translates to having around in a non-playing capacity, especially if morale is low. Whether he can manage is another question, but he's clearly adding something, as otherwise he wouldn't be the 3rd most senior member of the coaching staff

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Played at this level.

Coached by some of brilliant managers in his tenure.

Played with some great players.

Has a great football mind.

Been taken under Poyet and Tanno.

Educated through this process.

Passionate for the game.

Nope I cannot see a single THING that qualifies him for this job :facepalm:

I_am_JOSH

Nov 30, 2012
Sussex Uni
To answer your main question, the way he has done the job so far qualifies him to continue doing it.

Coaching is a lot about leading and organising, and also communication, transmitting what the manager wants, and above all I think being a link between the manager and the players. I think he has great personal skills and rapport with the players and everyone else working at the club.

i doubt gus would have him around if he wasn't up to it...it's not like we'd have much trouble attracting a decent coach to replace him

and even if he hadn't played at this level before (which he has, for us), playing ability has little correlation to coaching ability

he was always a fairly limited player, but from what i've heard his character (to a certain extent) made up for it, and made him important to the team. ...I'd imagine that translates to having around in a non-playing capacity, especially if morale is low. Whether he can manage is another question, but he's clearly adding something, as otherwise he wouldn't be the 3rd most senior member of the coaching staff

Thanks, This basically answers my question... It's what I suspected, I guess I was trying to get a gauge of the technical side of the job, but the impression I'm getting is that that's not a big part of it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Charlie, Tanno and Gus appear to work really well together. Imagine the chaos with Charlie bellowing from one end of the technical area and Gus whistling and gesticulating at the other corner, if they weren't trying to communicate to the team something similar.
Charlie is a great example of ... The boy done good.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He's a 'players' coach... one of the lads, probably takes as much as he gives, and the huge thing is he probably instils Brighton into the newcomers, despite his west London roots he is Brighton through and through and I am absolutely certain that on occasion new players have come up to him and ask him about the Brighton way/ethos. He's the link between the club and the management set up/players.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Are you Charlie in disguise?:Dq

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool thread.

I would like to point out that on this occasion I had nothing to do with the arrival of the spelling police or the pedants, and the in-fighting is also not of my doing.

I Bet you're a great guy to meet.
He is actually, but he's just being silly. It seems that people have assumed you were having a dig at Charlie, which I don't think you were.

Whether I spell something write or not
:laugh: :dunce: It's right! - :whistle: I'll get me cote

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

THIS. :rave:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
André Villas-Boas didn't play professionally, but is successful. Charlie Oatway has that wonderful charisma to be a first class coach in my opinion. Charlie has passion for his trade a qualification of paramount importance to be a success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here