Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway testimonial match cancelled

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He had to work bloody hard to get the money in the first place, he wasn't just handed it. He didn't have to write any cheques for the club at all, and I assume he's given a higher percentage of his income to the Albion than you have. All this 'we all would have done it' stuff is rubbish. Why didn't you do it? If you'd spent your life working your arse off to become a multi millionaire, would you then give a large percentage of it away to your football club? I know I wouldn't.

Most of his money is invested though isnt it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He's a very rich man who supports Brighton. Not that I'm not grateful to him, but I'll save the saviour part for people like Knight and Perry and Samrah and so on who put in the hard yards when the chips were down.
I think you will find that TB has been bankrolling the Albion for longer than you think

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm lost for words. How can ANY fan of Brighton fail to recognise what TB has done for our club? Actually, here's a suitable word - moronic.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
TB is the sole reason of where we are at right now. Without him we would be hovering around league 2 sitting on scaffold boards at Withdean. Im prone to talk some shit but this thread has really brought out some dickheads

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
He had to work bloody hard to get the money in the first place, he wasn't just handed it. He didn't have to write any cheques for the club at all, and I assume he's given a higher percentage of his income to the Albion than you have. All this 'we all would have done it' stuff is rubbish. Why didn't you do it? If you'd spent your life working your arse off to become a multi millionaire, would you then give a large percentage of it away to your football club? I know I wouldn't.

That all depends. I doubt that the Bloomster did it for totally altruistic reasons and didn't expect a return on his investment. It's not really a risk as the club attracts 30 k plus to home games week in week out and has very very healthy merchandising and sponsorship pipelines.

So, in short, yes. If I was him I would have done exactly the same thing. He got in at EXACTLTY the right moment and will have a nice little earner for many years to come provided we stay at least in the top six of the Champs. If we ever struggle on the pitch a lot of our faithful fans will go wherever they were when we were playing at the theatre of shit.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
That all depends. I doubt that the Bloomster did it for totally altruistic reasons and didn't expect a return on his investment. It's not really a risk as the club attracts 30 k plus to home games week in week out and has very very healthy merchandising and sponsorship pipelines.

So, in short, yes. If I was him I would have done exactly the same thing. He got in at EXACTLTY the right moment and will have a nice little earner for many years to come provided we stay at least in the top six of the Champs. If we ever struggle on the pitch a lot of our faithful fans will go wherever they were when we were playing at the theatre of shit.

You are a complete spazz.

How did tony bloom know we would average 30k 3 years ago?

How did he know we would be in the champ three years ago?

Idiot.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

When you say "got in at exactly the right moment", do you actually mean "had been bankrolling the club for quite a while before stepping into the limelight when he bailed us out by paying for a stadium that, without his money, would not have been built"?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Of course I would have done it. How completely ridiculous to suggest I, or most of us on here, wouldn't have done that. Why didn't I? Couldn't afford to. I refer to my comments on the membership schemes, money shouldn't dictate how big of a fan you are.

But please don't get me wrong, I am hugely grateful to TB, recognise that he didn't have to do it, recognise that his money got us out of a massive hole, am pleased with the way he is chairing the club. I am not criticising him at all. Please don't associate me with the other morons on this thread who are. I simply commented on someone saying TB was our saviour and hero, by replying that I consider those in Build a Bonfire our true heroes and saviours. Sure, TB belongs in there somewhere, but I can't place TB above DK and don't like the way history is being rewritten, as if our struggles started because we were stuck at Withdean, as someone aludes to above.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

All those nice little earners you mention are losing him £8 000 000 a year currently plus the loss of interest on his £200 000 000 investment. Given that only about four clubs in the entire football league actually generate a profit it seems very, very unlikely that Mr. Bloom will ever see a return on his money.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You think TB's in this for the money?

Wow. Just... wow. :facepalm:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I just don't know what to say to that. The club is losing eight million pounds a year. And we've managed thirty thousand attendances twice in thirty years.

Of course I would have done it. How completely ridiculous to suggest I, or most of us on here, wouldn't have done that. Why didn't I? Couldn't afford to. I refer to my comments on the membership schemes, money shouldn't dictate how big of a fan you are.

But please don't get me wrong, I am hugely grateful to TB, recognise that he didn't have to do it, recognise that his money got us out of a massive hole, am pleased with the way he is chairing the club. I am not criticising him at all. Please don't associate me with the other morons on this thread who are. I simply commented on someone saying TB was our saviour and hero, by replying that I consider those in Build a Bonfire our true heroes and saviours. Sure, TB belongs in there somewhere, but I can't place TB above DK and don't like the way history is being rewritten, as if our struggles started because we were stuck at Withdean, as someone aludes to above.

I don't think you understand the point I'm making. Tony Bloom wasn't handed hundreds of millions of pounds on a plate, he didn't win the Euromillions and put half of it into the club, he made it himself. Can you imagine the amount of work, drive, risk and sacrifice that took? Why didn't you do that? You say any one of us would have done it, well why didn't you? Why didn't you put yourself and your family through all that, and then after twenty years doing nothing but incredibly stressful work and regularly risking everything, announce to your family that actually, you're going to give most of the money you've slogged so hard to make to the local football club?

Saying "he's rich, I can't afford it", means nothing. Why didn't you put your life into getting rich so you could afford it?

DK et all saved the club, no doubt about it. But without taking anything away from them, if the club had gone bust we would have started again, either with DK in charge or someone else, and we would be a league 1 or 2 side getting 5,000 a week by now, which is exactly what we would still be if Tony Bloom hadn't come along.

This club has a chance of becoming one of the top 10 clubs in the country, possibly even the top 8, in the next decade or so, and 95% of that is down to Tony Bloom, not only for paying for the Amex, but for keeping us afloat in the Withdean years. He's done more for this club than Dick Knight has.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Saying "he's rich, I can't afford it", means nothing. Why didn't you put your life into getting rich so you could afford it?

I agree with most of your points but even for this board that is silly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think you understand the point I'm making. Tony Bloom wasn't handed hundreds of millions of pounds on a plate, he didn't win the Euromillions and put half of it into the club, he made it himself. Can you imagine the amount of work, drive, risk and sacrifice that took? Why didn't you do that? You say any one of us would have done it, well why didn't you? Why didn't you put yourself and your family through all that, and then after twenty years doing nothing but incredibly stressful work and regularly risking everything, announce to your family that actually, you're going to give most of the money you've slogged so hard to make to the local football club?

DK et all saved the club, no doubt about it. But without taking anything away from them, if the club had gone bust we would have started again, either with DK in charge or someone else, and we would be a league 1 or 2 side getting 5,000 a week by now, which is exactly what we would still be if Tony Bloom hadn't come along.

This club has a chance of becoming one of the top 10 clubs in the country, possibly even the top 8, in the next decade or so, and 95% of that is down to Tony Bloom, not only for paying for the Amex, but for keeping us afloat in the Withdean years. He's done more for this club than Dick Knight has.

"Can you imagine the amount of work, drive, risk and sacrifice that took? and after twenty years doing nothing but incredibly stressful work and regularly risking everything" ......... trust me I can sympathise with all those emotions, and I don't even have loads of money to show for it at the end :lolol:

I'm just not a money guy, I don't fawn at the feet of money, people are people with their own strengths and weaknesses and cash shouldn't come into it. I remember well what we did from 96-99, its a massive part of who we are as a club, and indeed who we are as people, IMHO, and if you want to say it was all pointless, well that's your prerogative but I won't agree with you.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All those nice little earners you mention are losing him £8 000 000 a year currently plus the loss of interest on his £200 000 000 investment. Given that only about four clubs in the entire football league actually generate a profit it seems very, very unlikely that Mr. Bloom will ever see a return on his money.

200 million? where did that figure come from?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
When you say "got in at exactly the right moment", do you actually mean "had been bankrolling the club for quite a while before stepping into the limelight when he bailed us out by paying for a stadium that, without his money, would not have been built"?

Precisely. Leighgull seems to have forgotten that he had no choice but to step in when he did as the funding for the stadium had been pulled. Bottom line : no Bloom, no Falmer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree with most of your points but even for this board that is silly.

Why? Simplistic perhaps, but why silly? Its a valid question. The answer is that he, along with everybody else on this board, didn't have what it takes to do that. Toby Bloom did. That is why he is the saviour of the Albion.

"Can you imagine the amount of work, drive, risk and sacrifice that took? and after twenty years doing nothing but incredibly stressful work and regularly risking everything" ......... trust me I can sympathise with all those emotions, and I don't even have loads of money to show for it at the end :lolol:

I'm just not a money guy, I don't fawn at the feet of money, people are people with their own strengths and weaknesses and cash shouldn't come into it. I remember well what we did from 96-99, its a massive part of who we are as a club, and indeed who we are as people, IMHO, and if you want to say it was all pointless, well that's your prerogative but I won't agree with you.

So can I, but my point is, none of us had what it takes to do it, he did. And then gave loads of it away.

I'm not a money guy either. And you're right, I could say that what we did from 96-99 was pointless if I wanted. But I, er, didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here