Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway jnr signs development contract

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He's 20! Hardly one for the future.

Where's he been playing his trade? Sounds like a favour to Oatway snr to me!

Love Charlie Senior but i'm inclined to agree and its bizarre since we are now bona fide Championship club with big ambitions. I saw him play against Eastbourne United last season and nowhere near good enough.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
watched east preston plenty of times last season and charlie was brilliant. But if there is any youngster to sign from that team its a young defender called Niall O'Hagan who is the same age as charlie but is outstanding!how he is not playing a higher standard of football i'll never know.Has any locals or others heard of him?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nepotism is an issue that some see as a reason why their own children maybe haven't advanced within the game as much as they would like.

I am sure it exists, but if you accept that any player can improve with good coaching, then accessing good quality advice 24/7 might well offer the reason why so many ex players Son's seem to advance especially in the early stages of the game.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Arrogant? Think some people have the wrong lad in mind as that may be the last word I'd ever use to describe him...

Can't believe some of the rubbish prattled out on here. A LOCAL lad has had an amazing season (scoring in excess of 35 goals) where he became one of the county league and Sussex FA representative teams best performing players. He has been given a trial and the club have decided that they believe he has enough about him to give him a years contract so they can see how he improves with professional training and coaching. Whats the matter with that?

If the club were to have ignored him and another club decided he was worth a go, and he turned out to be an absolutely fantastic player - the same idiots on here would be complaining about the club ignoring him in the first place.

To anybody that has seen him play - remember he stood out despite not training any more frequently than any other player. He improved at an astonishing rate and I'd safely wager that that improvement will continue, more dramatically than ever under the guidance and direction of quality professional coaches.

To anybody that hasn't seen him play - Get yourselves down to watch the Development squad when he's involved to see a fantastically balanced and skillful forward. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Arrogant? Think some people have the wrong lad in mind as that may be the last word I'd ever use to describe him...

Can't believe some of the rubbish prattled out on here. A LOCAL lad has had an amazing season (scoring in excess of 35 goals) where he became one of the county league and Sussex FA representative teams best performing players. He has been given a trial and the club have decided that they believe he has enough about him to give him a years contract so they can see how he improves with professional training and coaching. Whats the matter with that?

If the club were to have ignored him and another club decided he was worth a go, and he turned out to be an absolutely fantastic player - the same idiots on here would be complaining about the club ignoring him in the first place.

To anybody that has seen him play - remember he stood out despite not training any more frequently than any other player. He improved at an astonishing rate and I'd safely wager that that improvement will continue, more dramatically than ever under the guidance and direction of quality professional coaches.

To anybody that hasn't seen him play - Get yourselves down to watch the Development squad when he's involved to see a fantastically balanced and skillful forward. You will be pleasantly surprised.

As a player, he does seem decent. But he is a prat. Check out his disciplinary record for the season just gone.

If he can sort that, he is half way there

Bigblonde1

Jul 10, 2008
i'm sure half the people commenting on here and slating Charlie are of course professional footballers with international pedigree ? .....lets just see how he does before writing him off shall we , everyone deserves a chance surely ?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
As a player, he does seem decent. But he is a prat. Check out his disciplinary record for the season just gone.

If he can sort that, he is half way there

I disagree wholeheartedly. He gets zero protection from referees (an overall problem with lower league football) and was playing with and against players well below his personal standard. Time will tell I guess but there is no way I'd call him a 'prat'. Discipline is relative in football. Arsenals own disciplinary record proves this (As I'm sure nobody could ever label them an out-and-out dirty team...).

kingchazz069

Jan 13, 2012
C'mon lads give the lad a chance. its development squad and its just to check him out he could turn out to be sick like his dad(Y)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I disagree wholeheartedly. He gets zero protection from referees (an overall problem with lower league football) and was playing with and against players well below his personal standard. Time will tell I guess but there is no way I'd call him a 'prat'. Discipline is relative in football. Arsenals own disciplinary record proves this (As I'm sure nobody could ever label them an out-and-out dirty team...).

You are obviously a mate so pointless talking about it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The decision was solely made by Gus Poyet with the advice of, prior to his departure, Hinshelwood whose exit is proof that the days of nepotism, favours and jobs for the boys are well and truly over.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If he is good enough he will get games for the DS. If not then he wont.

Proof in the pudding and all that.

I'm looking forward to catching young Dickinson sometime next season, the lad we signed from the Dorset League or whatever - Just a hunch based on his CV and reports of his attitude but I reckon he could be one for fast tracking along with Toby Agdestein.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I'm looking forward to catching young Dickinson sometime next season, the lad we signed from the Dorset League or whatever - Just a hunch based on his CV and reports of his attitude but I reckon he could be one for fast tracking along with Toby Agdestein.
Solly March is the one I'm most intrigued about. Didn't manage to see him in action for the dev. squad last season (he didn't seem to hang about in the youth team for long) - but the reports were pretty damn promising.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here