Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Gilmour-The Rich Sussex Anarchist

All this stuff about anarchist toffs from Sussex ... and NO-ONE has yet mentioned Brighton's very own WORLD CLASS anarchist hero ... Prince Pyotr Alexeyevich Kropotkin.

220px-Peter_Kropotkin_circa_1900.jpg

Not only did he possess one of the world's greatest beards, he wrote most of the early theoretical treatises on anarchism, and was offered the job of Education Minister in the post-revolutionary Russian government (but refused it), he lived in ROTTINGDEAN and has a BRIGHTON BUS named after him.

ppkropotkin.jpg

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.

Been watching these events from afar, the coverage here is one of, "really, how much a year, wish that was all we had to pay" an average debt at the end of the education system in the states is between $60 to $100 grand. More if you go on to be a doctor, lawyer etc.

That said, looking at these pictures, the one issue I have with all of this is quite how girly he is. Should go down a treat in the prison system I imagine...

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
It always makes me laugh when these "student protesters" throw objects at the police, riot, etc, and then scream like babies when the Old Bill whack them in return. It's the same with militant Islamists over Guantanamo Bay - they wish to blow us up because of our decadent lifestyle and our hated democracy, yet if we start to play by their rules they squeal. By the way, I'm not in any way justifying Guantanamo; it disgusted me as much as the next man, and believe me, I am no liberal, and it took away all the sympathy that had built up round America over 9/11. It's the rank hypocrisy I can't stand.

when you can whack a policeman and not get arrested for assault ...accompanied by a beating in the police van, ill say the police whacking people back is fair justice. In the mean time they seem to be having their cake and eating it.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
To be fair, I dont really blame the right on here trying to pin an embarrassment like this guy on the left.

Its not as if we havent had a lot of pleasure at their embarassments such as Jeffrey Archer perjurer, Ken Dodd tax defrauder, William Roache general wanker.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
All this stuff about anarchist toffs from Sussex ... and NO-ONE has yet mentioned Brighton's very own WORLD CLASS anarchist hero ... Prince Pyotr Alexeyevich Kropotkin.

220px-Peter_Kropotkin_circa_1900.jpg

Not only did he possess one of the world's greatest beards, he wrote most of the early theoretical treatises on anarchism, and was offered the job of Education Minister in the post-revolutionary Russian government (but refused it), he lived in ROTTINGDEAN and has a BRIGHTON BUS named after him.

ppkropotkin.jpg

Thanks for that. Interesting indeed. i didnt know he lived in Brighton:thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
when you can whack a policeman and not get arrested for assault ...accompanied by a beating in the police van, ill say the police whacking people back is fair justice. In the mean time they seem to be having their cake and eating it.

the thing is you can, and often do. the only difference is the OB dont have to worry about getting their door kicked in three months later as much as you do.

there have been umpteen assaults on police that were witnessed but will not be prosecuted. so your all fair in love and war view will probably stand up a lot more in the case of these protests than you would like.

they are having their cake and eating it, they own the f***ing bakery. but plenty of other people are getting a bite too.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Funny though how all the tabloids and the Argus keep banging on about his 'dad' and no mention of his mum Polly Sampson who was one time Sunday Times journalists.

That's hardly surprising, he is actually quite famous, no one has ever heard of her even if she is a journo.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There were a few Che Guevara t-shirts, but that was more in homage of Rage Against the Machine as opposed to a political statement. The berets were limited to CCF as far as I am aware.

I can't recall any sort of political matters other than the weekly debating society that was all talk and no action.

I'm not sure it would be a far more educational experience, but it is the least he owes to society for his crass behaviour.
Were you there with Hugh Swaffer?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
To be fair, I dont really blame the right on here trying to pin an embarrassment like this guy on the left.

Its not as if we havent had a lot of pleasure at their embarassments such as Jeffrey Archer perjurer, Ken Dodd tax defrauder, William Roache general wanker.
I honestly dont think there has been a more bottom of the barrel scraping post on NSC , Ken Dodd, Ken Barlow for f*** sake :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not sure all of them showed that much restraint...

BBC News - London student has brain injury
A student suffered bleeding to the brain when he was struck by a police truncheon during the tuition fees protest, his mother has alleged.

Alfie Meadows, 20, of Middlesex University, was hit on the head as he tried to leave Westminster Abbey area, his mother Susan Matthews said.

Mr Meadows had a three-hour operation and is now in a stable condition.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has begun an inquiry and is appealing for witnesses.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We are aware of a 20-year-old male with a head injury who is currently in hospital."

No 'martyr'

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is currently gathering evidence, including CCTV, police logs and working to trace witnesses.

A spokesman said: "The investigation will seek to establish the nature of any police contact that took place, and whether any police actions were lawful, proportionate and necessary."

Hundreds of protesters converged near Parliament on Thursday as MPs voted to increase university tuition fees to £9,000.

Several protesters and police officers were injured as the demonstration turned violent.

Hundreds of protesters converged in Parliament Square during the voting Mrs Matthews, 55, an English literature lecturer at Roehampton University, said her son had described being struck as "the hugest blow he ever felt in his life".

"The surface wound wasn't very big but three hours after the blow, he suffered bleeding to the brain.

"Basically he had a stroke last night. He couldn't speak or move his hand."

Speaking at a vigil outside Charing Cross Hospital, she said her son, a second-year undergraduate philosophy student, said: "He's smiling, he's chatting and he's just Alfie. He's all there."

He was attending the protest with friends, including two lecturers, Nina Power, his mother's colleague, and Peter Hallward, a philosophy lecturer at Kingston University.

About 40 students held a vigil for Alfie Meadows outside Charing Cross hospital He was injured as the group tried to leave the area after police began a "kettling" operation, Mrs Matthews said.

He called his mother to tell her he was injured.

Mrs Matthews, who was also among the protesters in a different area, said: "I got out of the kettle and met him and he told me all about it. He knew he had to go to hospital but he didn't initially know how bad it was.

"The policeman offered to get him an ambulance but he was in shock and didn't know how serious it was."

He was later taken to Charing Cross Hospital in west London and underwent surgery as his condition deteriorated.

She said her "extraordinarily idealistic and committed" son had been given advice by student union on how to stay safe.

"He would never try to be a martyr.

"Alfie said to me before this happened 'Somebody is going to get killed'. It's very frightening," she said.

She said she felt "very strongly" about the "way in which these events are being policed".

London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "I am appalled by the violence and I deeply regret that as we talk there's a student who has suffered injuries.

"It is very, very difficult for the police to strike a balance in this matter and you will remember how fiercely they were criticised for the kettling operation during the G20 protests, the tragedy of Ian Tomlinson, it is extremely difficult."

More than 2,800 Metropolitan Police officers were on duty.

Out of interest how would you deal with a mob of grown men and women throwing bottles, bricks, fireworks, barriers, paint and numerous other missles?

The necessary tactic of deploying snatch squads and resisting crowd surges will, inevitably, lead to injuries.... personally I don't think many of us would have the courage to stand there let alone show restraint?

Dandyman

In London village.
Out of interest how would you deal with a mob of grown men and women throwing bottles, bricks, fireworks, barriers, paint and numerous other missles?

The necessary tactic of deploying snatch squads and resisting crowd surges will, inevitably, lead to injuries.... personally I don't think many of us would have the courage to stand there let alone show restraint?

Provide some evidence that Meadows was throwing anything.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I honestly dont think there has been a more bottom of the barrel scraping post on NSC , Ken Dodd, Ken Barlow for f*** sake :lolol:

Your lot started it a f***ing toffee nosed snide kid who reads poetry and stands on memorials as an example of all the left has to say is stretching it a bit. I mean you must be able to find a better example:lolol:

Your lot started it a f***ing toffee nosed snide kid who reads poetry and stands on memorials as an example of all the left has to say is stretching it a bit. I mean you must be able to find a better example:lolol:

Personally I do not have a problem with him standing around reading poetry. I do however have a massive problem with him treating a memorial to those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country with such contempt.I think the general thrust of most moderate people's views on here are that actions like that are certainly not going to gain the student's cause a great deal of good with a lot of people in this country, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of their grievance.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

How bizarre. I was only studying late C19/early C20 anarchism a couple of days ago as part of my degree (whoops probably shouldnt mention Im a student on this thread!) and his name obviously popped up. Little did I know he was a Brighton boy. Fascinating stuff, thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here