Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] Characters from The Goldstone North Stand - early eighties

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We referred to him as Elvis. Suppose it was for his quiffed and dark hair style
Buddy Holly more like, anyways I last saw him in The Albert about two years ago and said hello.
remember him from the northern away games at places like York (had a good session in a pub chatting to him) Carlisle, nice bloke, loved a plastic bag as others have said. This was around the same time the guy who used to start the singing especially ā€œgive us a Beeeeeā€ etc as he would sing heā€™d stick his finger in his ear, most odd, I used to think it was one and the same guy, but Iā€™m pro wrong on that.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Buddy Holly more like, anyways I last saw him in The Albert about two years ago and said hello.
remember him from the northern away games at places like York (had a good session in a pub chatting to him) Carlisle, nice bloke, loved a plastic bag as others have said. This was around the same time the guy who used to start the singing especially ā€œgive us a Beeeeeā€ etc as he would sing heā€™d stick his finger in his ear, most odd, I used to think it was one and the same guy, but Iā€™m pro wrong on that.

Krispies and Doc are definitely not the same guy! :lolol: They are both lovely people, but 500% different!

My other half knows Krispies more than I do, probably as much from a prolonged spell as a patient in the RSCH in the 90s as from the Goldstone & away games, although they already knew each other through that too.

I know him only in passing, from leading the singing behind me in Withdean J block, the odd pub encounter, the other half, a few away games. I know he hasn't been coming as much since he became a terminal dad. And not seen him for a while but I hear he's still around.

Also he's seriously not at all old! Maybe he just looked it to some with glasses and being a bit skinny, and without @Stat Brother hair :lolol: but he's probably younger than I am!

Doc on the other hand is a long-term close friend of both of us - someone I've known for decades from both football and elsewhere, and will hopefully be a friend for many years to come.

He was definitely not a song starter on the terraces! But he would start a one-man riot against a random nearby pub serving real ale in plastic cups.

Shit, I've known him pick arguments over absolute bollocks nothing, just because he's pissed & hasn't had enough to eat. But he's literally the only person I'd still pile in for :lolol:

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Krispies and Doc are definitely not the same guy! :lolol: They are both lovely people, but 500% different!

My other half knows Krispies more than I do, probably as much from a prolonged spell as a patient in the RSCH in the 90s as from the Goldstone & away games, although they already knew each other through that too.

I know him in passing, from leading the singing behind me in Withdean J block, the odd pub encounter, the other half, and a few away games. I know he hasn't been coming as much since he became a terminal dad. And not seen him for a while but I hear he's still around.

Also he's seriously not at all old, even now! Maybe he just looked it with glasses and being skinny, and without @Stat Brother hair :lolol: but he's probably younger than I am!

Doc on the other hand is a long-term close friend both of mine personally and of us as a couple - someone I've known for decades from both football and elsewhere, and will hopefully be a friend for many years to come.

He was definitely not a song starter on the terraces! But he would 100% start a one-man riot against a random nearby pub serving real ale in plastic cups. And I'd join in.

He could be ***ing vicious when he chose to!

Shit, I've known him pick fights over absolute bollocks nothing, just because he's pissed & hasn't had enough to eat. But he's literally the only person I'd still pile in for :lolol:
Doc stuck up for me once at York away in 93 we lost as usual, I was still living up north, travelling to most away games and the odd home game, always on my own and would cling to anything from Sussex, and wore a Sussex Cricket top, and some Brighton fans in the pub were taking the piss out of me, one or two were going a bit OTT and Doc pipped in and told them to leave me alone, that meant a lot to be honest at the time. I used to constantly get the pissed ripped out of me for supporting the Albion in Wigan and then later in Manchester, and for our own fans to start on me that day, I was a bit pissed off.
I did thank him years later in a pub when I recognised him, but he had long forgotten.

The offending top
Retro Front and Back_0.png

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I give you smelly ron, gravelly voice and wore a bus drivers uniform or jean jacket, led a charge at Plymouth away in the 80s. He did stink as well. Bless him if he's still around. He's was always angry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A lot of what's on here about 'Doc' is correct. Moved on from ground hopping to 'collecting' 'Spoons boozers and is now on cinemas.

One of my best mates from the old Goldstone days still goes in the North now and we have a pint in the Swan quite often. He still sees Doc regularly. Unfortunately, Doc's had spells of bad health and has been in hospital a few times but is currently out and enjoying the pubs of Brighton. I last saw him at The Albert in December. My brother's band were playing upstairs and he was shuffling about downstairs with an overfilled WH Smith bag and a pint. Looked better than the time I saw him before that, which was at the Komedia promotion party, when he couldn't hold his head straight.

Despite health that's worried a few of us he just seems to crack on with it.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
A lot of what's on here about 'Doc' is correct. Moved on from ground hopping to 'collecting' 'Spoons boozers and is now on cinemas.

One of my best mates from the old Goldstone days still goes in the North now and we have a pint in the Swan quite often. He still sees Doc regularly. Unfortunately, Doc's had spells of bad health and has been in hospital a few times but is currently out and enjoying the pubs of Brighton. I last saw him at The Albert in December. My brother's band were playing upstairs and he was shuffling about downstairs with an overfilled WH Smith bag and a pint. Looked better than the time I saw him before that, which was at the Komedia promotion party, when he couldn't hold his head straight.

Despite health that's worried a few of us he just seems to crack on with it.
Wasn't going to mention it, yes he had some health issues last winter, but he is doing much better this year touch wood. It won't stop him doing what he does.

He has people looking out for him but remains fiercely independent!

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Wasn't going to mention it, yes he had some health issues last winter, but he is doing much better this year touch wood. It won't stop him doing what he does.

He has people looking out for him but remains fiercely independent!
The thing about doc I will never forget and the prove what sort of bloke he is he never met my old man but still came to his funeral to be there for me top bloke

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We interviewed him in the early days of Gulls Eye, and he was definitely Elvis back then šŸ˜‚
When I was going away the most between 1987 and 1996 most people who went by train knew him and everyone called him 'Doc', though I do remember the GE where you called him Elvis because we were all laughing at it.

I believe, though this is second hand from some of the other characters in those days, that the name comes from a battered, hand carried 'Doctor Doolittle' box suitcase that he took on one of our pre-season tours.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Do you mean Pat and Michael from Worthing ?
Always got on at East Worthing .....used to call them Bill and Ben , permanently pissed..they used to live in one of the houses near ham bridge and frequented the dolphin but when the northern basted had it he banned them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Always got on at East Worthing .....used to call them Bill and Ben , permanently pissed..they used to live in one of the houses near ham bridge and frequented the dolphin but when the northern basted had it he banned them.
They were hystericalā€¦. Iā€™m remember drinking beer through a straw because apparently it got you more pissed šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
When I was going away the most between 1987 and 1996 most people who went by train knew him and everyone called him 'Doc', though I do remember the GE where you called him Elvis because we were all laughing at it.

I believe, though this is second hand from some of the other characters in those days, that the name comes from a battered, hand carried 'Doctor Doolittle' box suitcase that he took on one of our pre-season tours.
Doc Talbot worked with my dad at the Tax Office on Preston Road 70s, early 80s. They would chat all things Albion to relieve the tedium of the job. I know Doc always had a week off for the BFI festival on the South Bank.

My abiding memory of him was the radio affixed to one ear at away games. Glad to hear he is still doing ok, my dad sadly passed in 2018.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
An unnecessary comment left on that article
Doc stuck up for me once at York away in 93 we lost as usual, I was still living up north, travelling to most away games and the odd home game, always on my own and would cling to anything from Sussex, and wore a Sussex Cricket top, and some Brighton fans in the pub were taking the piss out of me, one or two were going a bit OTT and Doc pipped in and told them to leave me alone, that meant a lot to be honest at the time. I used to constantly get the pissed ripped out of me for supporting the Albion in Wigan and then later in Manchester, and for our own fans to start on me that day, I was a bit pissed off.
I did thank him years later in a pub when I recognised him, but he had long forgotten.

The offending top View attachment 175773
Some of our own fans can be real tossers. Millwall away in the cup I was at the kiosk and some pratt decided he didnā€™t need to wait in line and barged in front of me, almost came to blows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here