Changes to the Current Football Rules

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1. Revert back to a player being played onside by an opponent touching the ball last who ever it is an on field player or goal keeper Irrespective of where the player was prior to being played onside as above.
2. A time keeper to judge the end of the game and time added on then like rugby only blew for time when the ball is dead
3. Penalise players for shepherding the ball out for a goal kick or throw in, if that isnt obstruction what is? They obstruct the player from getting to the ball.

I am greedy so would want to add another if a player goes down requring a physio to come on they have to leave the field to be treated and then cannot return for another 3 mins after the game has restarted.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Scrap offside...Its been done in Hockey...Improved game..Whole pitch in play all of the time and probably between 50% and 100% more goals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do we never see a proper dropped ball nowadays only the ones given to a player to play it back to the opposition, where is that in the laws of the game.

Given a throw in is taken by BHA cos their opponents kicked it out to get a player treatment, I would tell eg Bruno to throw it to Tex who puts it out for a throw at the same point but to the team who kicked it out, to me that is sportsmanship.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Standardised fines for specific infractions, pro-rata’ed against wages, and judged by an independent video panel after each match.

For example:

Ashley Young DIVES to try and win a penalty. Regardless of whether it's picked up in the match he is TAXED a whole MONTHS wage.
Joey Barton does the aforementioned "wander past a free kick to obstruct the taker and allow his team to get back into position" trick. BANG. You've just been taxed a whole day's wages son.

No appeals, no quibbles.

All money to go into a central pot and distributed to League 2 & lower clubs or needy kids or something.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If a player tries to waste time by taking the ball to the corner flag area and fannying around with it, he can be kicked in the bollocks by an opponent without the referee awarding a foul.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
When a player is injured as a result of a foul (resulting in a free kick) and has to receive treatment, he should not be required to leave the pitch after the treatment is completed.

Ridiculous that under present rules the team against which the foul is given gets to play (even if it is for only a minute or less) against ten men.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Scrap red cards for denying a serious goal-scoring opportunity, but give a penalty no matter where on the pitch it was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1. Revert back to a player being played onside by an opponent touching the ball last who ever it is an on field player or goal keeper Irrespective of where the player was prior to being played onside as above.

Err...

What ?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
No red cards just yellows but for each yellow you miss a game, so if idiot comes off the pitch with 6 yellows he misses the next 6 games. I like 11 v 11 on the pitch. It will sort all sorts of trying to get people sent off, also refs can give them out for holding etc without any come back then but the manager will be apoplectic on the touch line when he sees his players missing loads of games.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like all the ideas aiming at reducing time-wasting: the amount that Forest did on Saturday was embarrassing,

As for a brand-new law, there have been some good suggestions that most fans would agree with so I'll go with something a lot more radical. My new law would be that by a specified date (say 1 Jan 2022) all teams - school, amateur, professionals, nationals would have to include two women/girl players at all times

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Err...

What ?

Not sure when it was changed but it was that if the last person to touch the ball was a defender either intentionally or not that then played or deemed an attacker to be onside. If a goal keeper parried a shot an attacker wherever he was at the time of the shot was automatically onside so could put the ball into the net. Simarly if a player attempted to head or clear a ball but touched it and went over his head to a striker standing nearer the goal that put him onside. That is what I think should be brought back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like all the ideas aiming at reducing time-wasting: the amount that Forest did on Saturday was embarrassing,

As for a brand-new law, there have been some good suggestions that most fans would agree with so I'll go with something a lot more radical. My new law would be that by a specified date (say 1 Jan 2022) all teams - school, amateur, professionals, nationals would have to include two women/girl players at all times

Why, how would that improve the game? Women are naturally not as strong or fast as men as has been shown in any sport they play. Athletics, tennis, cricket rugby, boxing you name it and they are weaker.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
They used to have a ruling in cycling whereby someone showing high levels of EPO was automatically withdrawn on 'health' grounds. Soooo......the next time some pansy gets flicked or nudged in the upper torso and dives to the floor clutching his head he automatically gets subbed on health grounds in case he has serious concussion.

Also, subs. From the moment the ref stops play to allow a substitution the clock is running. As the exiting player crosses the touchline the count stops at, for example, 15 seconds. Play then restarts with the oncoming player kept on the touchline for 15 seconds.

Finally, players warming up. If they do anything at all to slow down the return of the ball they are booked. I have seen this happen at the last two home games.

I'm spent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure when it was changed but it was that if the last person to touch the ball was a defender either intentionally or not that then played or deemed an attacker to be onside. If a goal keeper parried a shot an attacker wherever he was at the time of the shot was automatically onside so could put the ball into the net. Simarly if a player attempted to head or clear a ball but touched it and went over his head to a striker standing nearer the goal that put him onside. That is what I think should be brought back.
Understood the first time - and agree with it.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Referees who allow all-in wrestling in the box to be suspended for four weeks.
Tackling from behind was dealt with by bookings the continual holding, shirt pulling etc is completely spoiling the game,why are the FA ignoring it?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - but scrap added on time. Stop the clock when it goes out of play. 90 minutes means 90 minutes.

A million percent this.

Injuries, time wasting (and we do it too if anyone's going to start on about Saturday) ball out of play, when goals are scored, subs etc etc etc.

Official timekeeper, who stops the clock should be for at least the top two divisions.

Football's too expensive as it is, let alone when you only get an hour's play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports