Wellbeck

Subs:- Sanchez, Webster, Propper, Maupay, Mcallister, Connolly, Gross

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like the idea of Jahanbakhsh up top

sorry that was aimed back at zefarelly

I've been convinced for some time he has one of, if not the best pair of shooting boots in the squad. . .if he could add a few other strings to his bnow ( like confidence from game time) I think he could make himself a regular starter.

He was subbed for tactical reasons last night, I was surprised Maupay didn't come off instead.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Still amazed that between Dunk, White, Webster & Burn that they've only managed 1 goal between them all season. With their heighs you'd expect more but never look like scoring.

Vestegaard has 4 alone so far !!!!

Oh and team for Fulham.........god only knows but I hope Lallana and Lamptey are available.

Our centre backs have been terrible in front of goal.

Yes, there's been some poor deliveries, but also some good ones and our defenders have never got close despite being in some very presentable positions

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I just want Potter to be brave again, push higher up the pitch and press more like we have done since he came in. We will also continue to suffer if we play defensively minded players in positions where we need an outlet (fullbacks). Last night was the prime example of this. If he wants to play Burn and Veltman at fullback, fine, I'll get over it, but they have to be supported by a natural wide player in front of them in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. Otherwise our attacks will stutter as soon as the ball goes out wide. Last night it seemed more like a 4-2-1-2 and most things were going through the middle where they had N'didi plus 3 CB's.

4-2-3-1 - Lamptey, White, Dunk, March - Biss (on the right side covering Lamptey), Alzate - Trossard (playing wide left in his natural position), Lallana (central), Ali J (right) - Welbeck. I'd play Maupay instead of Lallana if he's not fit and have Maupay dropping deeper. Not the biggest side but I would want to see us press high up the pitch and give fouls away in their half, not ours. Scrap picking a side based on whether or not we can defend set pieces .We can't defend them with 8 CB's on the pitch so let's throw caution to the wind.

4-3-3 - Lamptey, White, Dunk, March - Biss (holding) - Lallana, Alzate (both getting forward) - Trossard (left), Ali J (right) - Welbeck - If Lallana's not fit I'd bring in Veltman and move White to the play the DM role. Biss to push forward more.

Webster is just going through a bad patch and would give him a while longer out the side. I don't think there's a great deal between the CB's, excluding Burn.

Generally I don't mind us playing 5 at the back when we're away from home, provided Lamptey and March are both fit. If they're not, we shouldn't play that system unless Potter is prepared to play Alzate at wing back instead to provide some attacking intent.

At home we need to dispense with 5 at the back, for now at least.

Love Potter, he just needs to remember / re-discover what makes us tick and we'll be fine.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't that were he played for England too? Or was that a 4?
But Potter likes to play with a 3 where the 2 wider players so advanced and wide i just don't think Dunk could hope. He is looking so lost when he is getting stretched. He loves the penalty box- that is where is at his best.

The fact is, Potter wants to play a formation that negates the best parts of our best defenders game, and that relies on (most ideally) a left footed, ball playing defender which we don't have...
This is one of the fundamental problems of our season so far.
Agreed that we could do with a left sided CB - but we haven't got one, so it's a question of deciding which of our right side CBs to sacrifice by playing them out of position.
We could solve the problem by going to a back four, but we don't have a LB - Solly is a wing back, and BDB did a good job there, but neither of them are full backs, and Bernardo is apparently just not good enough. For that matter I don't think Lamptey's a genuine RB either, not for playing in a back four, so I think we're stuck with trying to juggle our CBs around to get the left/right balance as good as possible.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Agreed that we could do with a left sided CB - but we haven't got one, so it's a question of deciding which of our right side CBs to sacrifice by playing them out of position.
We could solve the problem by going to a back four, but we don't have a LB - Solly is a wing back, and BDB did a good job there, but neither of them are full backs, and Bernardo is apparently just not good enough. For that matter I don't think Lamptey's a genuine RB either, not for playing in a back four, so I think we're stuck with trying to juggle our CBs around to get the left/right balance as good as possible.

Yeah it's a crazy thing- we have loads of right sided CBs. The only one i can think of who is left footed is Roberts who is 5ft 2 and very young. We also have no genuine full backs, i'd suggest. And our wing backs consist of converts and square pegs in round holes. The only players this formation truly suits is Veltman if he plays on the right of a three (or Webster or White if they play there and learn the position) and Lamptey. I think. 2 players In our entire squad suit the formation Potter wants to play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah it's a crazy thing- we have loads of right sided CBs. The only one i can think of who is left footed is Roberts who is 5ft 2 and very young. We also have no genuine full backs, i'd suggest. And our wing backs consist of converts and square pegs in round holes. The only players this formation truly suits is Veltman if he plays on the right of a three (or Webster or White if they play there and learn the position) and Lamptey. I think. 2 players In our entire squad suit the formation Potter wants to play.
Harsh. Lamptey and March are very well suited, as are Veltman, White and Webster (but not on the left of the three), and I don't think Dunk's lack of form is anything to do with playing in a back three or passing out from the back.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It sounds like a major change will be no fans as London going into tier 3 at 00.01 on Wednesday. Poor sods who were like kids on Xmas eve.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In all seriousness, we need points and quickly...... this expansive system has come at the detriment of being able to defend well, we're lost and often all at sea when without the ball.

I actually quite like the Spurs version of 4-2-3-1 that almost becomes a 6 in defence at times with the 2 holding mids dropping into defence, with quick players to counter and break at pace. Not having a proper LB is a problem. I'd go with 2 best defensive mids to slot in and solidify the back 4 with genuine pace at the top and have Connolly in the position he plays for the R.O.I. (alzate for lallana, Izzy for Connolly, Tross/Ali J for Lamptey - if others not available)

..............Sanchez
Veltman White Webster Dunk
..............Biss Gross
Lamptey Lallana Connolly
..............Welbeck

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I've been convinced for some time he has one of, if not the best pair of shooting boots in the squad. . .if he could add a few other strings to his bnow ( like confidence from game time) I think he could make himself a regular starter.

He was subbed for tactical reasons last night, I was surprised Maupay didn't come off instead.

Playing AJ up front has been mentioned a few times in the last year or so , Hughton didn`t go for it but Potter might . I thought he had a descent game last night , a few stray balls , but he set a couple of chances up as well . I think you`re right about his confidence , he certainly tries hard every time he pulls the stripes on , so i hope he gets a fair crack . Maupay hasn`t been at the races for a while now .

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
In all seriousness, we need points and quickly...... this expansive system has come at the detriment of being able to defend well, we're lost and often all at sea when without the ball.

I actually quite like the Spurs version of 4-2-3-1 that almost becomes a 6 in defence at times with the 2 holding mids dropping into defence, with quick players to counter and break at pace. Not having a proper LB is a problem. I'd go with 2 best defensive mids to slot in and solidify the back 4 with genuine pace at the top and have Connolly in the position he plays for the R.O.I. (alzate for lallana, Izzy for Connolly, Tross/Ali J for Lamptey - if others not available)

..............Sanchez
Veltman White Webster Dunk
..............Biss Gross
Lamptey Lallana Connolly
..............Welbeck

Problem is we don't have any genuine DMs.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

agree he strikes ball better anyone in squad Unfortunate last night joined list of players Potter has played out of position. He is a wide player that likes cutting in and will go central when we are attacking down left

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ryan
White, Dunk, Veltman
Lamptey March
Alzate Bissouma
Lallana Trossard
Wellbeck

Subs:- Sanchez, Webster, Propper, Maupay, Mcallister, Connolly, Gross

I'd go for this but possibly with Webster for Veltman imply because he's more of a natural in the position. Matty keeps his place by the skin of his teeth.

PS If GP asks, I could give young Garry Nelson a buzz.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here