Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship watch Brentford v Burnley

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess I am.

As it read like you were backhandedly slating the team for being ponderous and taking to many touches on the ball.
In a season that has contained some of the best attacking football I've ever seen as the AMEX, in games like MK Dons, Charlton & Bristol City.
All the while maintaining a solidity in tricky games away from home.

Apologises for misreading your comments, and not understanding your nuanced subtext.

Sorry to butt in on your argument but just consider the teams you think we were so good against and managed to squeak past. Aren't they propping up the division?

Where the **** are the stuffings that virtually every team in the division dishes our now and again??? The good teams do it regularly against the dross in the division.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I guess I am.

As it read like you were backhandedly slating the team for being ponderous and taking to many touches on the ball.
In a season that has contained some of the best attacking football I've ever seen as the AMEX, in games like MK Dons, Charlton & Bristol City.
All the while maintaining a solidity in tricky games away from home.

Apologises for misreading your comments, and not understanding your nuanced subtext.

Have a :drink: Stat and chill out

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry to butt in on your argument but just consider the teams you think we were so good against and managed to squeak past. Aren't they propping up the division?

Where the **** are the stuffings that virtually every team in the division dishes our now and again??? The good teams do it regularly against the dross in the division.
Hindsight and for that matter foresight is a wonderful thing.
The team has been short a striker, all season.

A fair few posters did say 'hang on a minute' when referencing the margins of victory.
I wasn't one of those, like many I was revelling in finally watching some great attacking football.

Yes the team should have crushed x, y & z.

But by the same token I'd like to see Burnley hammer Brentford minus 7 first teamers, 4 of which play in the final third.

I was just a bit titsy about the short term memory loss.
Having sat through 4 previous seasons that could all be summed up as 'not attacking enough'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

A fair few posters did say 'hang on a minute' when referencing the margins of victory.
I wasn't one of those, like many I was revelling in finally watching some great attacking football.

But by the same token I'd like to see Burnley hammer Brentford minus 7 first teamers, 4 of which play in the final third.

Having sat through 4 previous seasons that could all be summed up as 'not attacking enough'.

I agree, for the most part this year's team cannot be accused of "not attacking enough"

The board can be questioned for not pushing the boat out earlier on a decent striker or two though...IMO. ( if they really do have promotion ambitions). I am not convinced about the veracity of all the South American rumours.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I think the club should be applauded for what they've "tried' to do this transfer window by chasing the South Americans. They would have been a gamble but then they might have ripped the championship apart and we were certainly not going to be able to buy a homegrown striker for that kind of money who would guarantee goals.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the club should be applauded for what they've "tried' to do this transfer window by chasing the South Americans. They would have been a gamble but then they might have ripped the championship apart and we were certainly not going to be able to buy a homegrown striker for that kind of money who would guarantee goals.
The fact is arguably the most important person is the striker. Bob does his best but he has just turned 35 so 5 goals per time on the pitch is great but he is not the answer. The only decent striker we have had is Ulloa at the Amex. It does really cut it anymore the club has been so impotent and their seemingly sluggish attitude in getting the one thing we need and have known for years. I sadly think the club is quite happy to just chug along in the championship forever

The fact is arguably the most important person is the striker. Bob does his best but he has just turned 35 so 5 goals per time on the pitch is great but he is not the answer. The only decent striker we have had is Ulloa at the Amex. It does really cut it anymore the club has been so impotent and their seemingly sluggish attitude in getting the one thing we need and have known for years. I sadly think the club is quite happy to just chug along in the championship forever

Over our 115 year history we have predominantly been a third rate team, playing in the third highest division, with occasional appearances in the other divisions. If the second tier is our new norm, this is definitely progress! Our Chairman clearly prefers bricks to a pair of legs for his money - we don't have a history of spending big transfer fees on a player. Strikers are usually the most expensive component of a team. We were never going to spend 5 million or more on a South American. It is always going to be WBA 4th centre forward or Man U number 5 striker for us. This is good as it gets. We are a Top 30 English side not a Top 20 team. To progress it will take another Chairman or Director on board who is prepared to take us to the next level.

Enjoy the moments - this is as good as it gets. Previous generations of BHA fans would have jumped at it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree, for the most part this year's team cannot be accused of "not attacking enough"

The board can be questioned for not pushing the boat out earlier on a decent striker or two though...IMO. ( if they really do have promotion ambitions). I am not convinced about the veracity of all the South American rumours.

That's where my foresight comes in.
I was anti Zamora re-signing because I didn't feel we had enough cover for a player that would need to be nursed through the season.

Naturally a couple of months ago [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] (I think) was very keen for me to announce how wrong I was, I didn't.
Hopefully very soon you'll now be able to point the finger at me and call me Mr Wrong-pants, but in the mean time signing Bobby instead of 2 decent enough strikers appears not to be working.

Ironically had the club signed Matt Derbyshire, Pat Lancashire with BZ I'd have been in hogs heaven.
Which is still a possibility over the next couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here