Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Champions league qualification still possible with just 3 games to go

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
🤔
That's what happens when you type a time as if it was a rugby score.
Oh sorry Sir. I should have wrote 21:26 to make it obvious I wasn’t meaning a rugby score in this context - on an internet message board. Apologies!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well that's blown it now. Well done OP to condemning us to lose the next 4 matches.
Naa. We'll win tonight, everyone will get excited ..... then we'll lose to Southampton!

But yeah, the point of the thread stands. We are a few games away from the end of the season and us, li'l old Brighton, still have a chance of grabbing a CL spot. An outside, remote, 'only mathematical' chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Unbelievable.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember some threads last season about qualifying for europe, which preceded us slipping up in winnable games.

There were a few posts on here ahead of the Everton game making the argument of the possibility of champions league football when lots of people were wanting teams then above us to beat teams with outside chances of Europe to reduce the chances of them overtaking us (I was one of them holding on to the CL possibility).

And of course the talk of quarter finals before Charlton, finals before United.

Feels like any time we start talking about such achievements we're setting ourselves up for an inevitable fall.

While I get the 'I'm just happy we can have the conversation' intent of the thread, I find it undercuts the achievement - a little voice wondering what might have been, rather than fully enjoying what we got/get

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh sorry Sir. I should have wrote 21:26 to make it obvious I wasn’t meaning a rugby score in this context - on an internet message board. Apologies!
21-0 down at halftime?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
SSN in the match preview have also mentioned us and the CL in the same sentence.
I think it went along the lines of "Brighton could scupper Newcastles chances of CL qualification tonight"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
10 pts from 12 starting with a win tonight and I think we'd sneak in.
No chance. We need 12 from 12 and even then it's hugely unlikely.

Firstly, I think we'd have to overhaul both Newcastle AND Man Utd, because Liverpool are at home to Villa and away to Southampton. I suppose they might drop points against Villa but probably not.

So if we win tonight (and it's a massive if), we'd be 5 behind Man Utd and effectively 5 and a half behind Newcastle with all three clubs having 3 matches to play, and one of ours is Man City.

Put simply, if 2 of the 3 clubs above win 2 of their remaining games, we can't finish 4th. If we don't beat City (or Southampton for that matter!), that requirement drops to a win and draw/2 draws.

Still, I know that isn't the point of this thread. The point is that is amazing to even be having this conversation in May. Mental.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A win tonight and we have Europa Conference in the bag!

It’s then another win to give us Europa but only 4 wins out or 4 will deliver us the Champions League I believe.

Can we do it? RDZ will be convinced we can!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Firstly, I think we'd have to overhaul both Newcastle AND Man Utd, because Liverpool are at home to Villa and away to Southampton. I suppose they might drop points against Villa but probably not.

So if we win tonight (and it's a massive if), we'd be 5 behind Man Utd and effectively 5 and a half behind Newcastle with all three clubs having 3 matches to play, and one of ours is Man City.

Put simply, if 2 of the 3 clubs above win 2 of their remaining games, we can't finish 4th. If we don't beat City (or Southampton for that matter!), that requirement drops to a win and draw/2 draws.

Still, I know that isn't the point of this thread. The point is that is amazing to even be having this conversation in May. Mental.
Liverpool lose to Villa, beat Saints GD stays at +28 = 68pts
Newcastle lose to us, draw v Leicester and Chelsea GD +30 = 68pts
We win 3 games draw the other, adding +9 GD +30 = 68pts (we'd make it on goals scored)

Unlikely but not outrageous either...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Newcastle will only have 2 games left to play after tonight (Leicester home & Chelsea away)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

So, after this weekend’s fixtures (including Monday), the table could look like below with the following results:

We beat Toon & Stains
Villa beat Liverpool
Manure draw with Muff
Toon draw with despairing Leicester on Monday

Newcastle P37 Pts 67
Manure P37 Pts 67
Liverpool P37 Pts 65
Good Guys P36 Pts 64

If we then beat Citeh next Thursday, the 4-way for a Champions League spot would be mind blowing on the last day of the season!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Liverpool lose to Villa, beat Saints GD stays at +28 = 68pts
Newcastle lose to us, draw v Leicester and Chelsea GD +30 = 68pts
We win 3 games draw the other, adding +9 GD +30 = 68pts (we'd make it on goals scored)

Unlikely but not outrageous either...
No, I'm afraid it is ridiculous. That's why we're about 40/1 to finish top 4.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Just wanted a big old thread highlighting what an incredible reality this is.

I'd like to think we can take it to the last 3 games, maybe 2 as well, but just in case tonight doesn't go so well I thought I'd stick it here now.

Amazing.

We need a couple of those teams to do a "Tom Kite" if you are familiar with golf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here