Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Champions League Final

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Yay, we won because we’re the richest. Yay, so meaningful…
This is why it's going to be so beautiful when Brighton win it. We're going to do so despite being far from the richest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is why it's going to be so beautiful when Brighton win it. We're going to do so despite being far from the richest.
It won’t be beautiful with your weird camera angles though! :lolol:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Back in the 2000s I foresaw a brief period of English dominance in Europe which came to pass in part. For a few years I think we are looking at this again. Of course the term 'English dominance' is an idiom. It's not really English dominance as much as it is that of the petro dollar.
The record of English teams in the Champions League/European Cup is pretty decent, despite a 5 year ban

1686483769223.png

And although Spanish teams have 19 title against 15 for English teams, 14 of those 19 were by one team, and the remaining 5 were by one other team. No other league has the depth of the English top division, with 6 European Cup/CL winners.

1968 Man Utd
1977 Liverpool
1978 Liverpool
1979 Nottm Forest
1980 Nottm Forest
1981 Liverpool
1982 Aston Villa
1984 Liverpool
1999 Man Utd
2005 Liverpool
2008 Man Utd
2012 Chelsea
2019 Liverpool
2021 Chelsea
2023 Man City

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry, are we in the Champions League? Must have missed that!!

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
With the best of intentions I don't think you fully understand.

Man City the club, the media fans and the rank and file have always wanted to be accepted and liked.

They are early adopters of sportswashing and that win over the hearts and minds mentality still exists, the nicer side of sportswashing 😆

They certainly didn't get the vitriol thrown at Newcastle - who just don't care.
So may well think us just week in week out ignoring them is a sign of it working, making them all the more surprised when true feelings are voiced.

I believe their need is twofold:-

'you need to love us because we were once shite like you, and one day you too could have all of this'.
&
'you need to love us because we're not Utd, who you really hate'.

What the club fed media cheerleaders, and certainly last night's commentary team, don't understand is the simple fact that 'we' don't want to be them, we couldn't think of anything worse.

Plus, where football is concerned 'we' have an infinite amount of room for hate.
Oh I see. Yeah it's quite stupid of them to think of themselves as a fairytale story - or rather, it's obviously a fairytale for them, but it's obvious that it won't be considered the same by other fans. I've no idea why they would look for love from other fans - PSG fans certainly don't look for any approval from other French teams :lolol:

It is a frustration for me. Lazio were the first Italian team I followed, mainly because they were very average and I bought a shirt of there's when younger. This was over 30 years ago when Italian football was being shown over here for the first time. It's an awkward relationship because they are my only Italian team. I've tried to 'change' them for another but it's hard to do that in football. They will always be my team. I remember telling someone I knew who followed Italian football and they were forthright in telling me how disappointed they were that I would support such a team. It's the thing that stops me from pressing the 'buy' button for their shirt each season. I was hoping they might have a supporters club 'bel club di tifosi laziali' or something like that.
Well, their main forum's banner is this:

logo.png

And at a first glance they seem pretty against all their ultras' bullshit on there; so you can pop up and say hi on there, I'm sure there will be people that can speak English.

My Italian team is Bologna.

The thing that stops me buying their shirt is that it is blue and red stripes…
Great historic team and great town, especially for the food :drool:
To be fair their shade of blue is darker than Palace's.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So. Are we decided yet? Was that a wondrous worldie save by Ederson at the death, as BT commentary would have it? Or did he just instinctively stick a lucky knee out, as most viewers in real time - and also with the benefit of unlimited replays - would 'of' observed?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Sorry, are we in the Champions League? Must have missed that!!
Let me explain how it works: first you have to qualify.
We can do that by finishing in the top 4. We would have done that this season were it not for some terrible refereeing/VAR decisions, and losing to Everton and Forest. We came 9 points short this year, with 62 points. Our annual target used to be 40. That seems to have changed to 71.
1686490923170.png

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The record of English teams in the Champions League/European Cup is pretty decent, despite a 5 year ban

View attachment 162163
And although Spanish teams have 19 title against 15 for English teams, 14 of those 19 were by one team, and the remaining 5 were by one other team. No other league has the depth of the English top division, with 6 European Cup/CL winners.

1968 Man Utd
1977 Liverpool
1978 Liverpool
1979 Nottm Forest
1980 Nottm Forest
1981 Liverpool
1982 Aston Villa
1984 Liverpool
1999 Man Utd
2005 Liverpool
2008 Man Utd
2012 Chelsea
2019 Liverpool
2021 Chelsea
2023 Man City
Some serious question marks over the last few Barca wins as well

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Piacenza.
One line of my family is from there (over a hundred years ago now), which is the main reason I'm trying to learn Italian.
I've visited the town, but not the football ground.
Uh, my grandma is from that province (from a small town in the Val Tidone to be precise), so I've heard a bit of Piacentino dialect in my life. I can't speak it though, outside one or two words/phrases (e.g. "cus ghé?"="what's this/what's happening?" and "bagài"="kid".) And of course the rhyming saying "Cul ad Piaseinsa, quand i nam mia fan seinsa." ("Those of Piacenza, when they don't have something they do without", which reflects their pride in making do and being agricultural, middle/lower-class people.) The city itself is less beautiful than the surrounding province in my opinion. I've never followed the football team though.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023

View attachment 162163

1968 Man Utd
1977 Liverpool
1978 Liverpool
1979 Nottm Forest
1980 Nottm Forest
1981 Liverpool
1982 Aston Villa
1984 Liverpool
1999 Man Utd
2005 Liverpool
2008 Man Utd
2012 Chelsea
2019 Liverpool
2021 Chelsea
2023 Man City
Well City and Cheslsea are in there because of the huge amounts of money spent.Newcastle could be there soon.It;s not because England have started producing great players which would benefit the national team.It's just because big money has come to the Prem.Man U could be next with an Arab takeover.It hasn't benefited the national team at all.It just means the Prem is full of foreign players. The media, pundits etc couldn't care less where the money comes from or if it affects the national side.They just want the best league in the world and the best teams.So what if a killer owns Newcastle, When you consider the huge amounts spent in the Prem the record of English sides is not that impressive.Currently despite all the money spent you can only say it boasts one top side.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
City fans need to watch videos of how Napoli fans celebrated winning Serie A this year.In comparison you wouldn't think City had just won their first ever CL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here