Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Champions League Final

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Guardian kicked off their coverage https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ountdown-transfer-news-and-more-football-live of tomorrow night's game with a weird opinion piece https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ern-football-manchester-city-champions-league by someone who isn't a sports journalist. He generally writes about music.

Had anyone from their sports section cast an eye over this moan of consciousness, they could have perhaps informed him that although Man City have previously been charged with FFP violations and are under FA investigation for multiple breaches of rules, the team that he is putting his support behind has also been fined €4,000,000 by Uefa, this season for breaches of FFP rules: https://www.besoccer.com/new/psg-inter-milan-and-juventus-fined-by-uefa-for-ffp-breaches-1178833#:~:text=Paris Saint-Germain, Inter Milan,European football's governing body said.

He suggests that clubs can be rehabilitated, bizarrely giving the example of Chelsea who he hated when Abrahamovic was winning things, but forgives now, not because Boehly is more financially responsible, but because his massive and reckless spending hasn't led to a successful team.

He complains that UK broadcasters have shown AC Milan more this season than his beloved Aston Villa: a fact that says less about UK broadcaster's choices and more about Aston Villa's dour, cynical anti-football. I think that the Villa thing might be the key. The whole article may be enjoyable if read in a stereotypical moaning depressed Brummie voice.

Yes, City winning everything is a bit galling for everyone else, and yes their financial advantage is a huge part of this, but its not all of it. The people who have spent the fortunes at City have spent it in the most effective way. They got in the best coach in the world and bought players who could play the football that he wants to play. They may have dominated the English competitions, but this could be their first ECL win. Putting aside how it was created, as a purely sporting entity, this team has been something special for a few years. It has been, in asthetic terms, the apogee of how the game should be played. It's failed in previous years against some effective, but very uninspiring teams. It needs to win this weekend in order to not go down in history as the Jimmy White to Chelsea and Madrid's Stephen Hendry.

I'm not going to defend the Nation state ownership of football clubs, but whilst accusing the English fans who may want them to win of parochialism, he doesn't even seem aware that financial doping is a worldwide issue that has been impacting the game for generations. Real Madrid, that he would like to have seen knock City out in the semis, have won more European Cups than any other side in history because they were, first Franco's, and then the Spanish Royal family's team, and so enjoyed financial advantages from Spanish banks that were not available to their competitors.

This article annoyed me far more than it should have done. It reads like a rejected submission for nineties WSC and yet got published, presumably because he already has a job with them and enjoys access that far more talented and thorough sports journalists don't. Certainly I'll be at the front of the queue for the chance to condemn those stupid, rapacious capitalists who tried to steal football away from us all a couple of years ago, but I'd be condemning all of them, not just the ones who annoy me because they regularly beat my team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be watching :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I will also be watching 👍

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nothing wierd about the Guardian piece, just the harsh reality of moneyball.

we sleep well as a club, and we're extremely lucky to be where we are as a bit of an oddity, thanks to the Genius of TB. Long may it coninue.

oh, and Forza Inter!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Proven cheats, only off the hook at CAS because they used several top firms of lawyers to drag it out for years. Of illegal payments to UK staff in the Middle East, with commercial income seasons back that mysteriously was greater than each of Bayern, Barca, Real and Manure …. yeah right.

City signed up to the UEFA and PL rules they choose to illegally break.

The bottom line, their squad should be far weaker. They’re cheating their way to silverware. Guardiola shouldn’t have that 25 man squad.

Why would any fair minded person outside of Manchester want to see proven cheats prevail?

When you enjoy the sight of Mansour and Khaldoon celebrating, you’re watching belligerent confidence tricksters.

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Why would any fair minded person outside of Manchester want to see proven cheats prevail?

mandzukic-1237799.gif

ibra-1235542.gif

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Put also Inter and Torino at the top of that list and you're spot on

I can even remember some of the reasons why. Fiorentina reckoned corruption gave Juve a narrow title win, was it in the 80’s? Probably true in hindsight!? The Baggio transfer added fuel to that. Napoli …. a Mezzogiorno loathing of the wealthy north, exemplified by Juve.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Forgetting about the money and the sports washing and the legions of obnoxious City fans who've grown up only knowing good times (ill gotten or not) and the fact I don't really give much of a shit about the Champions League at the best of times...I hope City get pummelled because it's dull as f*** having one team win everything.

It was dull when United were doing it.
Dull when Chelsea did it.
Dull when Arsenal did it (minus the European glory they never got)

It's just f***ing dull.

Oh who's winning the league and the FA Cup next year? Probably City? Great. Won't even need new engraving.

f***ing yawn.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The article is fine, a wistful look at when things were more even. Inter Milan have only been shown more than Villa because BT Sport has the rights to European football nights. It's possible that Union Saint Gilloise have been shown more by the author's measures.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Proven cheats, only off the hook at CAS because they used several top firms of lawyers to drag it out for years. Of illegal payments to UK staff in the Middle East, with commercial income seasons back that mysteriously was greater than each of Bayern, Barca, Real and Manure …. yeah right.

City signed up to the UEFA and PL rules they choose to illegally break.

The bottom line, their squad should be far weaker. They’re cheating their way to silverware. Guardiola shouldn’t have that 25 man squad.

Yes, they are cheats.

And Real Madrid et al shouldn't have been able to consistently buy the best players for decades. There's been way too much overspending by clubs around Europe - might as well have an English one win the trophy, whilst knowing they also cheated to do so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, they are cheats.

And Real Madrid et al shouldn't have been able to consistently buy the best players for decades. There's been way too much overspending by clubs around Europe - might as well have an English one win the trophy, whilst knowing they also cheated to do so.

Real Madrid cheated. Discount the years under Franco. Spain was poor but somehow his club hoovered up the world’s best players. Early sports washing / a fascist’s vanity project.

Then every time they got into financial trouble in the last 25 years, a standing joke, they’d sell the same real estate at vastly over value to Castilian banks who adored them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Forgetting about the money and the sports washing and the legions of obnoxious City fans who've grown up only knowing good times (ill gotten or not) and the fact I don't really give much of a shit about the Champions League at the best of times...I hope City get pummelled because it's dull as f*** having one team win everything.

It was dull when United were doing it.
Dull when Chelsea did it.
Dull when Arsenal did it (minus the European glory they never got)

It's just f***ing dull.

Oh who's winning the league and the FA Cup next year? Probably City? Great. Won't even need new engraving.

f***ing yawn.
City’s European trophy haul is the Cup Winners Cup in 69/70, would be hilarious if they feck this up again, for that reason COME ON Inter!

The meltdown would keep me amused for a few days and I think Pep might just walk away too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here