Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
In April when VH signed Jnr's shirt at the Amex training day, we barely knew who he was!! Quite a rise in 7 months, same as WBG actually. He did well tonight, he had a lot to prove when Dunk went off, ie can he do it without the back up from Dunk. Seems he can. Experience will teach him to avoid yellow cards in the Europa League! (y)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Totally agree about Igor’s performance but didn’t Pascal take the captain’s armband?
Not sure what happened- Pascal definitely had it on when they came out for the second half - guess at that precise point Igor wasn’t on, and then (or soon after) it was handed to him as he came on ? Didn’t see it happen…..

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In April when VH signed Jnr's shirt at the Amex training day, we barely knew who he was!! Quite a rise in 7 months, same as WBG actually. He did well tonight, he had a lot to prove when Dunk went off, ie can he do it without the back up from Dunk. Seems he can. Experience will teach him to avoid yellow cards in the Europa League! (y)
Not quite sure what his yellow card was for last night?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Totally agree about Igor’s performance but didn’t Pascal take the captain’s armband?
Not sure what happened- Pascal definitely had it on when they came out for the second half - guess at that precise point Igor wasn’t on, and then (or soon after) it was handed to him as he came on ? Didn’t see it happen…..
Igor came on at half time, I noticed about 10 minutes into the second half that he had the captains armband, which was obviously strange as you would assume Gross would have taken it, but I assumed that Roberto gave it him in the changing room - it would be even stranger if Pascal had it and then handed it over, unless rules that he couldn't wear it until he was officially in the match

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, it's fair to say his baptism of fire at St James' Park is long-forgotten!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Igor came on at half time, I noticed about 10 minutes into the second half that he had the captains armband, which was obviously strange as you would assume Gross would have taken it, but I assumed that Roberto gave it him in the changing room - it would be even stranger if Pascal had it and then handed it over, unless rules that he couldn't wear it until he was officially in the match
Very odd. Groß was definitely (I think anyway as we talked about it at the time being confirmation Dunky wasn't going to appear) wearing it when the team came out. Will have to watch it back when I get home to see what happened :shrug:

Just wondering if it was some sort of daft formality until Igor was officially 'on', but either way Groß is VC so still a bit strange

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Very odd. Groß was definitely (I think anyway as we talked about it at the time being confirmation Dunky wasn't going to appear) wearing it when the team came out. Will have to watch it back when I get home to see what happened :shrug:

Just wondering if it was some sort of daft formality until Igor was officially 'on', but either way Groß is VC so still a bit strange
47.34 - Gross hands over the armband.

Why, I have no idea - unless it was, as you say, a technical formality. But why wait 2 1/2 minutes?

1699621175176.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who's WBG?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
47.34 - Gross hands over the armband.

Why, I have no idea - unless it was, as you say, a technical formality. But why wait 2 1/2 minutes?

View attachment 169537
Perhaps Gross’s very fluid role between left back and midfield made on field captaincy difficult so handed over to Igor who was positioned more centrally (if that makes sense)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here