Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Central defender Ben Hall signs from Motherwell for an undisclosed fee on a 2-year deal

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With Hughton's words in the argus today about not overloading the first team squad, I suspect Hall could well be 4th choice central defender.

This is probably sensible, and a good move to help focus budget on the striker fund.

Think I'd be mildly surprised if we didn't bring in a more experienced "old head" even if it's for one season on a free with the intention/expectation that if we are lucky with injuries they might never get a game. Agree I think we might be planning to spend big (for us) on strikers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We will bring in another defender

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No in the middle
I think that in effect Goldson's progress means he has replaced Greer. Hall now takes Goldson's place as 4th choice central defender - a position which involves a lot of time outside the 18 man matchday squad. He's played half a season in the top league in Scotland, and is beyond most dev squad players in experience.

Hughton today talks of not having too many senior players that we block the progress path of young players.

I can see so many positives in not spending much budget bringing in another senior central defender, and putting the cash towards 2 decent strikers.

My guess to come in now :

- 2 expensive strikers.

- 1 left back ( or maybe a right back ).

- 1 central midfielder to replace Holla ( who'll be paid off to become a free agent if we dont sell him ).

- A 2nd central midfielder only if both Ince and JFC go.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Think I'd be mildly surprised if we didn't bring in a more experienced "old head" even if it's for one season on a free with the intention/expectation that if we are lucky with injuries they might never get a game. Agree I think we might be planning to spend big (for us) on strikers.
Free agent Adam ElAbd ???

( I'm not even 10% serious here... )

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
IMy guess to come in now :

- 2 expensive strikers.

- 1 central midfielder to replace Holla ( who'll be paid off to become a free agent if we dont sell him ).

I'd prefer 2 full backs seeing as we almost run out of them last season. Perhaps an U21 lad can take the 5th spot - maybe Hunt?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think that in effect Goldson's progress means he has replaced Greer. Hall now takes Goldson's place as 4th choice central defender - a position which involves a lot of time outside the 18 man matchday squad. He's played half a season in the top league in Scotland, and is beyond most dev squad players in experience.

Hughton today talks of not having too many senior players that we block the progress path of young players.

I can see so many positives in not spending much budget bringing in another senior central defender, and putting the cash towards 2 decent strikers.

My guess to come in now :

- 2 expensive strikers.

I think he'll go for the standard 2 men per position, so I agree with your ins/outs except maybe another CB to come in too.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Ben Hall nice lad. Probably moving to Worthing area very soon. Loves the training ground and blown away by the facilities. CH rung him up while he was out in France watching NI.
Was not aware of our rivalry with Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here