Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Central defender Ben Hall signs from Motherwell for an undisclosed fee on a 2-year deal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep. And why do you think the injured (a lot) Harper/Hambo didn't appear in our first team squad last season that finished 3rd, with 89 points and 72 goals. ?

Team, maybe not, but at least a bit of bench-warming certainly seemed to be on the cards this time last year.

Like I said, I'm happy that we're going about our business nicely - but there is still a definite element of deja-vu about that statement! Hope it doesn't work out that way.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
[MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] so is he any good?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Played for the first team for the second half of last season. Could easily have gone to quite a few clubs as 'first choice' or even stayed where he was. But chose US. How big are we?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Will we still sign another 1st team centre back or will that be it? (Assuming dunk stays).

My thoughts exactly. Is that our 4 center back berths filled if they are hoping he will be pushing for the first team next season. That will hopefully leave a bit more dosh for a striker.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Another excellent signing for our development set up, welcome to Sussex Ben hope I hope it works out for you and we get you up to the next stage of your career. I am sure you will enjoy working with your new team mates in an excellent setting and all that the South Coast and London have to offer.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
My thoughts exactly. Is that our 4 center back berths filled if they are hoping he will be pushing for the first team next season. That will hopefully leave a bit more dosh for a striker.

Last season was the only time since being at Amex we have had 4, and that could of been as dunk was expected to leave. Could also argue goldson wasnt really a first teamer when signed. I reckon thats it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
[MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] so is he any good?

Haven't seen enough of him to comment really. I saw him once live when I was home over the Xmas and New year period as I always like to go back to see Motherwell if I can when I go back to Scotland. I think he actually scored that day if I remember correctly but I didn't know at that time that he had only recently broke into the team.

I have seen him a few times on TV since then because I always watch Motherwell matches when they are on Sky. To be honest I can't say that he stood out to me but then again sometimes Central Defenders never do unless you watch them a lot.

I text a couple of my mates about him when I read this and they said he looks good for his age but they didn't really rave about him, so hard to tell.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Haven't seen enough of him to comment really. I saw him once live when I was home over the Xmas and New year period as I always like to go back to see Motherwell if I can when I go back to Scotland. I think he actually scored that day if I remember correctly but I didn't know at that time that he had only recently broke into the team.

I have seen him a few times on TV since then because I always watch Motherwell matches when they are on Sky. To be honest I can't say that he stood out to me but then again sometimes Central Defenders never do unless you watch them a lot.

I text a couple of my mates about him when I read this and they said he looks good for his age but they didn't really rave about him, so hard to tell.

I take the last bit back - Another couple of my mates have just got back to me and said ''GREAT YOUNG PLAYER'' That sounds promising then

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I take the last bit back - Another couple of my mates have just got back to me and said ''GREAT YOUNG PLAYER'' That sounds promising then
That sounds promising. Lets hope he's another Goldson.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and indicates not making a hash of things, when they get skined or make dodgy passes, thats when you often take note of defenders.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
and indicates not making a hash of things, when they get skined or make dodgy passes, thats when you often take note of defenders.

That's true because I remember when Fulham signed Shaun Hutchison from us all the Motherwell fans felt we had just robbed Fulham of their money.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Shocking article on seagulls.co.uk about Hall coming from 'the dons'.

:facepalm:

FFS McGhee is manager at Motherwell, not Aberdeen.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Looks like quite a promising signing. But he'll have to work real hard to ever be as good as his compatriot Stefan Iovan.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Team, maybe not, but at least a bit of bench-warming certainly seemed to be on the cards this time last year.

Injuries to those 2 players, strength and form of the squad meant they didn't make the squad at any point in 15/16 but doesn't mean the potential wasn't there and that they weren't potentially good signings. Both are still very young. Hughton's quotes about Hall aren't that far off what we said about this player we signed last season who got his chance thanks to some unfortunate injuries.

"I have no doubt, he has the talent to step up into the Championship after performing well in both League Two and League One.
"He has been a regular starter for x at such a young age and I think he has the temperament and quality for Championship football."

Connor Goldson

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/connor-goldson-joins-brighton-and-hove-albion-2632868.aspx

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I see that 'Seagulls Player ' has taken to NSC jargon as the caption by the interview with Ben Hall is this" MEET BEN HALL

New singing Ben Hall speaks exclusively to Seagulls Player HD." Yes they have him singing!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With Hughton's words in the argus today about not overloading the first team squad, I suspect Hall could well be 4th choice central defender.

This is probably sensible, and a good move to help focus budget on the striker fund.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here