Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
55A95F58-122C-4115-954A-E2DD1845C663.jpeg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So sad that the players have performed so poorly that the Celtic fans gave no choice but to protest at players houses and at their stadium in the midst of a pandemic. Media and Celtic players had to be ushered out through dude doors to avoid the angry mob hell bent on getting their views heard for unacceptable performances.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think his experience at Celtic rules out Premier club but ideal buy for Nottingham Forest

... maybe. Bringing in your old players is, a lot of times, one of the quickest ways to cause discontent in the squad.

Think he is not ruled out for PL clubs, could easily see any of the bottom teams wanting to sign a player with experience from relegation battles.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Scottish football is broken.

If some of their fans think they can still appeal to Premier League managers (or even Championship managers) then they're truly living in the past.

The SFA should have taken action a long time ago. It will take decades for Scottish football to recover back to its glory days. Maybe it never will.

Not quite sure what the SFA could actually have done to make Scottish football teams better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really? ??? You can't think of anything they could have done better in regards to developing Scottish talent, or making the leagues more competitive?

Well, they could have expelled Celtic and Rangers, I suppose. But if Scottish kids just aren't any good at football (and that very much seems to be the case these days), there's not much they can do. Are you suggesting they haven't got coaching schemes?
The Scots just aren't breeding Busbys, Shankleys, Fergusons, Denis Laws, Dalglishes, Mackays, McQueens etc. They all managed alright without the SFA 'doing' anything.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Really? ??? You can't think of anything they could have done better in regards to developing Scottish talent, or making the leagues more competitive?

Who knows, maybe its on its way. Once your reform youth coaching etc. it takes about ten years to know if it was a success or not and the SFA started to reform that part some 7-8 years ago, bringing in some foreign (Dutch) influences to have a look and make changes to how they do things in Scotland.

It takes time though, as you can see from i.e. Belgium. They went from being completely shit in the late 90s/early 00s to producing tons of class players. But it takes time. Most of their "golden generation" players that came through from 2006 and onwards began in 1995 when Belgium got the Euro 2000 tournament and started their youth academy overhaul, "Project 2000".

We'll see in time what Mark Wotte was able to change in Scotland during his time at the SFA but any country that brings in Co Adriaanse to teach the youth coaches shouldnt be able to stay shit forever.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Apparently that was Celtic's first defeat in the last 36 domestic cup games.

No wonder those poor poor fans are marching on players' houses, protesting outside the ground and demanding that everyone associated with the club is sacked.

Puts our Archer/Bellotti travails into perspective, along with those of the clubs that have gone to the wall in recent years. The global football community should reach out to Celtic in this tragic hour of need.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Scottish football is broken.

If some of their fans think they can still appeal to Premier League managers (or even Championship managers) then they're truly living in the past.

The SFA should have taken action a long time ago. It will take decades for Scottish football to recover back to its glory days. Maybe it never will.

I'm sure there are plenty of Championship managers who would relish an easy gig like Celtic. Big fish, small pond and all that. Some fringe Premier league managers might like it too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well, they could have expelled Celtic and Rangers, I suppose. But if Scottish kids just aren't any good at football (and that very much seems to be the case these days), there's not much they can do. Are you suggesting they haven't got coaching schemes?
The Scots just aren't breeding Busbys, Shankleys, Fergusons, Denis Laws, Dalglishes, Mackays, McQueens etc. They all managed alright without the SFA 'doing' anything.

But they have just qualified for a major championship for the first time in years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slippy Gerrard must be a shoe in to take over at Liverpool when Klopp leaves if he stops the 10 in a row.

One of England's finest internationals? Why the 'slippy'?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

There are limits to what a football association can actually do. It's very easy to put the ills of football at their door, but the SFA, like the FA, are near bankrupt and have no mandate to interfere in the integrity of the league competition.

The problems in Scotland are the same in most leagues in Europe, unchallengeable mega clubs buying up all the talent and paying several times the wages of their nearest competitors. Broadcasters of course are largely paying this money, but the fault largely comes from football fans, eschewing their local clubs to watch glamour teams on TV. While this remains the case, the problem will continue to get worse.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A few big wins against the likes of Strathcarnage, Bumblewick Thistle and Taste of Dunfermline and yesterday's defeat will soon be forgotten about.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
What a bunch of idiots.

I am sure fans standing outside and gaining access to players houses will inspire them more to play better

So what if your team is doing badly, teams go through patches of good seasons and this being a one off bad season.

When we stood outside Archer and Belottis houses, that was for a purpose.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agree that EPL managers (even if lifelong fans) would be crazy to take either 'big' job in Scotland, but could see SOME Champ managers being interested. If you're not at a top half club with the resources to make a proper run at promotion then it must be a consideration.

That said I can see the 'no win' scenario especially right now.

I do think a Celtic League somehow having Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish teams combined would eventually offer better competition. You'd think it would be a good way to raise revenues overall from a bigger market and opportunity for some people to invest in clubs in non-Glascow markets. Potentially loosing Euro places must be the biggest counter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
did he even get a run against ross county....?? don't think so

Came on in the second half, got booked 3 minutes later I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here