Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Celtic Protests

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are limits to what a football association can actually do. It's very easy to put the ills of football at their door, but the SFA, like the FA, are near bankrupt and have no mandate to interfere in the integrity of the league competition.

The problems in Scotland are the same in most leagues in Europe, unchallengeable mega clubs buying up all the talent and paying several times the wages of their nearest competitors. Broadcasters of course are largely paying this money, but the fault largely comes from football fans, eschewing their local clubs to watch glamour teams on TV. While this remains the case, the problem will continue to get worse.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that the FA are near bankrupt?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How do you arrive at the conclusion that the FA are near bankrupt?

SFA aren't far off.

FA not doing quite as badly, but I suppose the point I'm making is that people seem to view the governing bodies interchangeably and assume that because the Premier League is a fantastically wealthy organisation the FA is as well. The income the FA does get is mostly used for highly unglamorous but necessary things like grass roots referring courses and studies into dementia linked to heading the ball. The money that comes into the Premier League gets given to clubs like ours to spaff on players and agents. It sort of irritates me when people say stuff like "with all this money in the game they should spend more on x", without considering the organisations charged with the long term sustainability of the game aren't the ones who have the money.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A DULLARD has just written up a financial comparison of both clubs which suggests that Celtic have thrown away a big monetary advantage over their rivals. Spookily, if you take the first letter of each sentence it spells 'Neil Lennon has ginger pubes', which is of course just an amazing coincidence and not immature at all.

http://priceoffootball.com/celtic-and-rangers-2019-20-the-watchman/

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
A DULLARD has just written up a financial comparison of both clubs which suggests that Celtic have thrown away a big monetary advantage over their rivals. Spookily, if you take the first letter of each sentence it spells 'Neil Lennon has ginger pubes', which is of course just an amazing coincidence and not immature at all.

"Both Celtic and Rangers were above the UEFA red flag in 2019/20 but the inability to generate matchday revenue meant that this should not be a critical issue in the short term."

??

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Cheers @El Pres.

Do Celtic receive any UEFA money from making the qualifying rounds of the CL?

(Aside from their Europa League money).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cheers @El Pres.

Do Celtic receive any UEFA money from making the qualifying rounds of the CL?

(Aside from their Europa League money).

Hi, they get €5m if get to the final elimination of the playoffs. This compares to €2.75m guaranteed if in the group stages of the Europa League.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Derby. Celtic.

It's hard to know which team to laugh at first.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Agree that EPL managers (even if lifelong fans) would be crazy to take either 'big' job in Scotland, but could see SOME Champ managers being interested. If you're not at a top half club with the resources to make a proper run at promotion then it must be a consideration.

That said I can see the 'no win' scenario especially right now.

I do think a Celtic League somehow having Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish teams combined would eventually offer better competition. You'd think it would be a good way to raise revenues overall from a bigger market and opportunity for some people to invest in clubs in non-Glascow markets. Potentially loosing Euro places must be the biggest counter.

Good point about a Celtic League. I think another stumbling block could be that the individual FA's involved would fear for their independence at International level. Similar to the Team GB issue when it comes to the Olympics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here