Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic out of Champions League

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not sure if this should be on this thread or the 'Blackadder quotes' one.

Blackadder: I smell something fishy, and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
this definitely wouldn't have happened if it had been celtic putting on an ineligible player for 2 minutes. Something funny is going on here, why would they put an ineligible player on the bench in the first place

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The only thing dodgy about this is why the hell they brought a player on that they knew was suspended?

SAC

May 21, 2014
The only thing dodgy about this is why the hell they brought a player on that they knew was suspended?

It appears that they thought he has completed his suspension as he missed the 3 games but as he wasn't registered for the 3 games they didn't count. Presumably the player now needs to miss 3 more games now?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Disgustingly corrupt. WTF is going on here?

Celtic fans should be so embarrassed by this. What a joke.

I think most are to be honest, but Celtic have made no complaint or protest that triggered this. What should they do? If Celtic declined the place it would just be given to another eliminated side.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry, I didn't know that, I just assumed they scored none. I bow to your encyclopaedic knowledge of Scottish football.

Well, not really. I could barely point to Scotland on a map. But it was mentioned quite prominently on the BBC Sport website carrying this story, so not overly difficult to pick up.

So lets get this straight. The guy had seemingly "served" his 3 match ban over the 2 legs of the preceding tie, plus the first leg v Celtic...except they'd failed to register him for those games. So the suspension was deemed not served when he came on for the last couple of minutes at Murrayfield, with Legia already 6-1 up.

To boot them out for that is, IMO, ridiculously draconian. He HAD missed the 3 previous Champions League games, it was just an admin cock-up meaning those games he missed weren't deemed part of his ban. It made no material difference whatsoever to the tie, or the result.

You can absolutely guarantee that if this had happened to one of the big boys in Europe, UEFA would be falling over themselves to to "apply common sense" and issue a fine for the club and an additional ban for the player. Stinking decision.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Looks like a daft decision as he has had 3 games suspension but de to an error was not listed in the squad for the first two. I would hope that this will be overturned on appeal as it seems harsh

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Being a Celtic fan as well as a BHA fan i don't agree with this decision as they were completely stuffed over 2 games, though the rules are the rules i guess, if you let 1 team of with a fine then Barcelona might do the same thing with Messi and only expect a fine. There has been a lot of posts taking the micky out of Celtic here, but they have beaten Barcelona and Man UTD in recent years in the champions league with a small budget compared to the premier league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here