Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic out of Champions League

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
They do miss having Rangers to Fight with 6 times a year to keep them sharper, the fact they fail to grasp this is hilarious.

Masky

Jan 15, 2011
Talk of Scottish league becoming a summer league so they r better prepared for these types of qualifiers... Also give the scots a chance to enjoy the English leagues in the winter....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're right. They should completely abandon their national league as people in England feel theirs is better.

I do sometimes think that some of the constant moaning about Scottish football on here borders on the perversely obsessive. In the same way that the away fans who massively overdo the homophobic abuse against us are probably closet homosexuals, I can't help wonder if some of the posters on here secretly sneak up for naughty weekends in Glasgow watching Scottish football.
Oh come on. You make a good fist on here of trying to defend the indefensible but even you've got to admit that the situation is shit, You've got the worst of both worlds. Firstly you've got a league that is SO lopsided it makes the premier league look like the NFL. Celtic will win it again this year, weeks before the season ends and by a massive margin. But this all-powerful team are second-rate also-rans when compared to the rest of Europe, so what does that say about the Scottish game in general? You can't blame people when they laugh at Scottish domestic football, it's a joke.

And I speak as someone who supports Celtic in Europe. (Still remember watching 'that' game in 1967. Eleven players all from the Glasgow area. It will never be repeated.)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Oh come on. You make a good fist on here of trying to defend the indefensible but even you've got to admit that the situation is shit, You've got the worst of both worlds. Firstly you've got a league that is SO lopsided it makes the premier league look like the NFL. Celtic will win it again this year, weeks before the season ends and by a massive margin. But this all-powerful team are second-rate also-rans when compared to the rest of Europe, so what does that say about the Scottish game in general? You can't blame people when they laugh at Scottish domestic football, it's a joke.

And I speak as someone who supports Celtic in Europe. (Still remember watching 'that' game in 1967. Eleven players all from the Glasgow area. It will never be repeated.)

Not trying in any way to defend Scottish football in general or Celtic's European collapse - in fact I could write you an essay on both.

But it is what it is. Scotland is a relatively small country, with one large industrialised city that has generated 2 huge clubs out of sync with the rest of the setup against the background of modern football.Do people expect fans of these clubs to just walk away from it because it's not that great anymore?

I just don't understand the obsession on here with constantly belittling Scottish football, and as I said above I can only assume it's some sort of overcompensating. Everyone would be up in arms if premiership fans came on here telling is how rubbish the championship is comparatively, even though they'd be correct. I think the Hungarian league is crap, but I don't feel the need to tell everyone that every 2 weeks.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not trying in any way to defend Scottish football in general or Celtic's European collapse - in fact I could write you an essay on both.

But it is what it is. Scotland is a relatively small country, with one large industrialised city that has generated 2 huge clubs out of sync with the rest of the setup against the background of modern football.Do people expect fans of these clubs to just walk away from it because it's not that great anymore?

I just don't understand the obsession on here with constantly belittling Scottish football, and as I said above I can only assume it's some sort of overcompensating. Everyone would be up in arms if premiership fans came on here telling is how rubbish the championship is comparatively, even though they'd be correct. I think the Hungarian league is crap, but I don't feel the need to tell everyone that every 2 weeks.

Oh do fvck off mate , we, the English have had decades of inferiority complex abuse from the scots,Irish and welsh , and people have finally got sick of politely laughing when told by some chip on their shoulder jock how much they hate us and rejoice when we lose, you reap what you sow.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Oh do fvck off mate , we, the English have had decades of inferiority complex abuse from the scots,Irish and welsh , and people have finally got sick of politely laughing when told by some chip on their shoulder jock how much they hate us and rejoice when we lose, you reap what you sow.

:lolol: This.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I think 'obsession' is a bit strong, but if you think we are 'obsessed', why do you think that is? The answer is that Scottish football still has a very high profile in England. All the TV and radio classified result services this season will religiously read out (as they do every year) the Scottish Second division results, and they will give them as much weight and gravity as they do to the Premier League ones. When people look a little deeper and see how small and useless are those clubs with the familiar names it IS quite funny.

Irish league football is shit as well, but we don't go on about it because it happens out of sight. Ditto Hungarian (probably, but I don't know anything about it).

... Everyone would be up in arms if premiership fans came on here telling is how rubbish the championship is comparatively, even though they'd be correct.
That's true, but it's not the same thing is it? We don't go onto the Forfar Forum for example and tell them how shit they are, we just have a little chuckle oin here amongst ourselves.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Irish Football maybe shit ,but the last 2 games at Murrayfield had an Irish Tricolour flying next to The Saltaire .So i assume an Irish team must of played ,i'm confused.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think 'obsession' is a bit strong, but if you think we are 'obsessed', why do you think that is? The answer is that Scottish football still has a very high profile in England. All the TV and radio classified result services this season will religiously read out (as they do every year) the Scottish Second division results, and they will give them as much weight and gravity as they do to the Premier League ones. When people look a little deeper and see how small and useless are those clubs with the familiar names it IS quite funny.

Agree with most of your points - although I do think it is brought up every couple of weeks on here in some shape or form.

But I think you're being more than a little economical with the truth by suggesting that Scottish football gets loads of coverage in this country. Aside from the results being read out (and does anyone even listen to them in this age with smart phones etc?), English football MASSIVELY trumps any coverage Scotland gets on TV/radio/newspapers. And don't forget, for the most part, that is the same media that covers Scotland as well. I don't want to put myself through it, but I reckon I could easily put SSN on now for an hour and probably not see Scottish football mentioned. Celtic or Rangers do occasionally get the odd segment or column in a newspaper, but then I think any gathering of 50k + in the UK would attract some mention, regardless of whether the standard on the pitch warrants it.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Would have been nice too have got him at the time. Whenever I've seen him play he's looked class, easily end up in Premier League. Southampton, Newcastle and Swansea apparently after him. I'd of thought he'd be well suited to Liverpool as well. Never mind - it shows the scouting network works.

Totally agree pal

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I wouldn't mind Scottish football if it wasn't rammed down our throats constantly - The amount of BBC and Sky coverage they get is ridiculous for that standard of football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't mind Scottish football if it wasn't rammed down our throats constantly - The amount of BBC and Sky coverage they get is ridiculous for that standard of football.

Absolutely true, especially BBC TV and radio. Constant Roddy zzzz Forsyth with his reports from Celtic Park, after the multiple millionaires have just scored against some other Scottish club with a minute fraction of their income. Doing the PC thing of giving more than ample coverage to Scottish football, especially Celtic.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Celtic have been reinstated into the Champions League :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here