Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic Agree Virgo Fee

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You don't count Danny Cullip as he wasn't that great ?

Are you off your head, the lynchpin of our team in 3 promotions + stood out in the championship

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I guarantee the 1.5m we get for Virgs will be lost in a black hole.

And MM will get all the money from Hardings move to Leeds.

If we get the expected 1m for Dan, the my money is on MM bringing in the players that will see us stay in the Championship.

:D :D :D

Another cracking bit of work from DK :clap2:

(bring Back Cullip !!!!!)

British football in the C21st.

We develop a good footballer, a larger side buys him.

LC

Munchkin said:
I guarantee the 1.5m we get for Virgs will be lost in a black hole.

And MM will get all the money from Hardings move to Leeds.

If we get the expected 1m for Dan, the my money is on MM bringing in the players that will see us stay in the Championship.

:D :D :D

Another cracking bit of work from DK :clap2:

(bring Back Cullip !!!!!)

This answer those points

McGhee totally agrees with the board's decision.

Brighton boss Mark McGhee, who was a former team-mate of Celtic manager Gordon Strachan while the pair were at Aberdeen, was disappointed at losing Virgo but understood the financial importance of the deal.

He told official website www.seagulls.co.uk: "Since I came to the football club Adam Virgo has been an enormous part of the success we have enjoyed and it's with great sadness that that we say farewell but I totally support board's decision as I understand the financial restraints at this club.

"The reality of our situation - with the delays on Falmer (the planned new stadium) - makes it difficult to keep our best players, both financially and in terms of matching their ambition.

"It's no surprise to me that a club of Celtic's stature have made such a bid for Adam.

"I would like to thank him for all the effort he's given me and wish him every success for the future."

Virgo played a vital role as Brighton finished a point above the relegation zone in last season's Coca-Cola Championship, deployed as a makeshift striker when McGhee was short of attacking options.

The transfer is an all-cash deal, with no appearance or other performance-related conditions, and Seagulls chairman Dick Knight confirmed McGhee will get to strengthen his squad with some of the proceeds.

Knight told www.seagulls.co.uk: "This is a bittersweet moment for Mark McGhee, the board and myself.

"Some of the Virgo transfer money will immediately be made available to Mark for squad strengthening as a result of Adam leaving."

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
London Calling said:
British football in the C21st.

We develop a good footballer, a larger side buys him.

LC

I keep hearing this sort of remark and find it a bit odd. Surely this has been the way of thing for a long time. Small clubs have always lost players to the bigger sides.

Its always been this way..........

Once upon a time when we thought we were a big club we went to Glasgow, waved £400,000 under Rangers' noses and walked off with Gordon Smith!:eek: :lolol:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Storer68 said:
That zamora deal - anyone now think we were done..........

I mean how many of who would have bracketed Virgo in the same value category as our fourth record goalscorer

we were done because whoever represented the club in the negotiations did not sort out the sell ons etc - it was bad business, but 1.5m for Virgs up front is good business if MM gets some to stregthen the team

perseus said:

Did we sell him too cheap? An ordinary Championship standard 31 year old forward costs about a £1 million.

We don't want a feckin ordinairy 31 year old forward, we've got McCammon taking that role.

What we want is someone young, exceptional and cheap(ish)

errrrr like Jake Robinson ?:drink: :p :drink:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
TGC, how come I got a different picture?

virgo8nw4jw.jpg

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with a lot said on here. It is a blow but not the end of the world. He was our player of the year last season but I believe a lot of people would have voted for Kuipers or Hinshelwood had they still been fit at the end of the season. Hinsh still came in the top three anyway.

Virgs will always be a legend for the Swindon game and his last contribution for the club was a very important goal and great performance against Ipswich.

However, we will have to move on. Ideally, I believe that we need to bring in a goalkeeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and an experienced forward. This may not happen but hopefully the squad will strengthen and the youth team will continue to produce first team players. The future is still looking good as long as we get Falmer.

>McGhee also confirmed that a proportion of the transfer fee will be ring-fenced for him to supplement the playing squad in the wake of Virgo's departure.</P>
<P>"A significant amount of that money will come to me," McGhee revealed. "Some of it will go into the coffers to pay bills and wages over the next period until we know about the stadium

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Stinky Kat said:
we were done because whoever represented the club in the negotiations did not sort out the sell ons etc - it was bad business, but 1.5m for Virgs up front is good business if MM gets some to stregthen the team

I don't think we would have particularly been laughing all the way to the bank with Zamora sell on clauses

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
pevenseagull said:
I don't think we would have particularly been laughing all the way to the bank with Zamora sell on clauses

Thats true but not getting a bean off Tottenham was a bitter pill to swallow and hopefully a leason learnt for the board for the future, hence DK holding out for 1.5m for Virgo which is hopefullt going to go a long way to keep us afloat in 2005/06 as well as bringing in a few decent players. I for one am applauding DK's business acumen on this deal.:clap:

I think you will notice that we have a better quality and more extensive rangeo f trees around our stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here