Celtic Agree Virgo Fee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Virgs was tremendous last season, after McGhee had ressurected his career. If Coppell had stayed as manager Virgs would probably be playing for a lower league team now.

McGhee spotted his talent, utilised him in different areas and got him recognized. Adam has talent no doubt. I will miss him at the albion, I always enjoyed watching him. But Mcghee should be credited for realising the lads potential and then making the most out of it for the club, everyones a winner in this case.

The money is a fantastic boost for the club but really in the scheme of things, this is an amazing opportunity for Adam Virgo, he loved Brighton, but how could he turn down a move to Celtic?

All the best Adam, a true Brighton legend (if only for one season).

I echo the post from earlier about the fantastic youth set up we now have at the club, and the great financial management by DK and MP, this club will prosper massively when we get Falmer, I am so proud to be an Albion fan, I love it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mixed emotions....

1) Gutted in a sense, because Virgo was the heartbeat of that team last season, he's a total fans favourite and a complete 100% effort player.

2) Amazed in another sense, as that still seems a hell of a lot of money for a player with one and a half good seasons behind him. My first thought was that Gordon Strachan was nuts, despite me thinking the world of Virgo, who'd have imagined, 2 and a half seasons back, when he was in the reserves and frozen out under Coppell, that he'd be the Albion's joint record transfer fee received in such a short space of time?

3) Glad, as that kind of money will surely go in our favour in the Harding tribunal, so we might eke some more cash out of skinflint Bates.

4) Hopeful that Virgo will go on to great things (although several SPL stadia and crowds make Withdean look like the Stade De France)

5) Nervous for him still, as I really want him to succeed, but have a nasty feeling that the SPL is a bit of a career graveyard. How many players go from English football to the SPL, and end up marooned there, stuck forever in the mire of Scottish football because people assume the standard is so low, you won't ever be of value in England again? Michael Ball anyone? Nobody ever gets true recognition by playing in the SPL.

6) Happy for the Albion as it's an amazing bit of business

7) Inclined to stick two fingers up at Coppell, who nearly shot Virgo's career to bits. How funny to see a player he clearly didn't rate- didn't he loan him to Exeter, FFS??- make that much cash for the club!

Good luck Adam, every one of your goals was hugely memorable, as they always seemed to be crucial goals. None of us will ever forget your goal or penalty shoot out effort against Swindon, still amongst the all time great Albion moments for sheer drama and esctasy, and you defended like a colossus- your performance in the Ipswich game on the last day of the season was superb.

Whenever you come back to Brighton, every one of us owes you a drink or ten

Thanks for the memories, here's to the Champions' League :clap: :lolol:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
edna krabappel said:
Mixed emotions....

1) Gutted in a sense, because Virgo was the heartbeat of that team last season, he's a total fans favourite and a complete 100% effort player.

2) Amazed in another sense, as that still seems a hell of a lot of money for a player with one and a half good seasons behind him. My first thought was that Gordon Strachan was nuts, despite me thinking the world of Virgo, who'd have imagined, 2 and a half seasons back, when he was in the reserves and frozen out under Coppell, that he'd be the Albion's joint record transfer fee received in such a short space of time?

3) Glad, as that kind of money will surely go in our favour in the Harding tribunal, so we might eke some more cash out of skinflint Bates.

4) Hopeful that Virgo will go on to great things (although several SPL stadia and crowds make Withdean look like the Stade De France)

5) Nervous for him still, as I really want him to succeed, but have a nasty feeling that the SPL is a bit of a career graveyard. How many players go from English football to the SPL, and end up marooned there, stuck forever in the mire of Scottish football because people assume the standard is so low, you won't ever be of value in England again? Michael Ball anyone? Nobody ever gets true recognition by playing in the SPL.

6) Happy for the Albion as it's an amazing bit of business

7) Inclined to stick two fingers up at Coppell, who nearly shot Virgo's career to bits. How funny to see a player he clearly didn't rate- didn't he loan him to Exeter, FFS??- make that much cash for the club!

Good luck Adam, every one of your goals was hugely memorable, as they always seemed to be crucial goals. None of us will ever forget your goal or penalty shoot out effort against Swindon, still amongst the all time great Albion moments for sheer drama and esctasy, and you defended like a colossus- your performance in the Ipswich game on the last day of the season was superb.

Whenever you come back to Brighton, every one of us owes you a drink or ten

Thanks for the memories, here's to the Champions' League :clap: :lolol:

What Edna said :clap:

Who'd have thought two years ago that Virgs would be playing Champions League football!

The man is a legend. Just hope Celtic's good enough for him :lol:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
edna krabappel said:
[/B]
Hmmm, which ones ??

Only Livingston gets lower crowds than us and thats because the town is small and the club is the Milton Keynes of the North, most SPL grounds have been redeleloped or moved and are in pretty good nick, and only a few wont get 15,000 for the visit of Celtic.

I for one cant WAIT to welcome him to Pittodrie, and the reception we gave them the last time we beat them on our mannor.......

tim2_JPG.jpg

Welcome to REAL atmosphere Adam !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It makes you wonder why Coppell didn't spot his potential and sent him off to Exeter.

McGhee knows how to spot raw talent and mould it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if Celtic get COWDENBEATH in the cup away then I'm flying STRAIGHT to central park to give him a clap :clap2:

Stumpy Tim

Dancin Ninja BHA said:
:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Sorry newbie, but read my previous post re: melodramatic posts ;)

Nothing like making a new poster welcome is there :angry:

I think this is a great piece of business. Virgo is an Albion legend, no doubt about it. Without him we would have been relegated last season as he covered up Leon's inadequacies in front of goal, and was great cover at the back. This season we have Dodd & CKR who can cover those positions, with new guys coming in. I do think it brings into perspective this replacement people think may be the answer. Sancho was relegated from the SPL with Dundee - Virgs is going to Celtic. There's a huge difference, and I for one wouldn't be happy if that was our replacement - because he has bench-fodder written all over him.

And a word for McGhee here. Adams only played his tried and trusted players (though I know he signed Virgs), Taylor played the team Adams bought, Coppell bought in a load of loaners, and McGhee has used all the youngsters & unearthed players like Currie. In his time at the club we have made 250k from Currie, 250k from Cullip, 1.5m from Virgo, and I still think we'll get 1m for Harding. He's made us 3m in his 1 1/2 years & spent 100k on CKR & I think that's about it. And he's taken us up & kept us there. Genius

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
portlock seagull said:
:ohmy: :( :) in that order I think.

Have to say I'm sad to see him go, really am and obvious concerns about our ability to stay up without him. That said, DK and Martin Perry are just the nuts for negotiating Celtic up to that amount. Lump sum in one. Not that I think for one minute we'll spend a quarter of that but it ensures we've got a club to support for another season and that's the reality of the matter until F-day. We've now got that and something to play with in the transfer scene, with Harding's money yet to come. The greatest chairman we've ever had, pulled off master stroke after master stroke year after year. In the early 80's and 90's our youth team products made the odd appearance on the bench before the inevitable move to Bexhill or Bognor came knocking. Now look at 'em; Harding, Virgs and what's his name to Villa, plus there's more to come with JR, Hammond and Hinsh.

In the face of overwhelming adversity we alway seem to come up trumps and McGuee's proved he's the best manager we've had in DK's time and he's had some stiff competition lets face it. He undoubtably should take his share of the credit for setting this up with his old mate Gordon. The youth team is turning into an elite production line like Crewe's and that's the most important trait in any club bar none.

I'm now almost complacent about their ability to lead us through the darkness into the promised one day with a home of our own. Accept it will be a gut-wretching rollercoaster, take a seat and hang-on basically. Season after season! Three cheers for the Brighton Board and Management teams!! Roll-on Derby!!

Well said as usual, Portlock. Any chance I'll see you at Derby?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i was a little suprised to see this but also think that it is bloody good money for an unproven central defender.
no, truth is he was our best player last season and although we will miss him it is bloody good money for the guy. i wish him all the best and hope he stakes a claim into the scottish national side.
as long as we get a decent amount of the money to spend on players then i think mcghee will be shrewd enough to turn this into a good thing for the team. it may make us a better prospect this season.
how much did we get for harding? or has that not been decided yet?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am disappointed that we sell our second best player for a piddling £1million.

I see his best position as a midfielder in the Viera-style, 10 sending-offs and a 100 bookings, so that cuts down 10% or so if his appearances.

There is a ? over Adam Virgo's style of play which gets him trouble with referees ??

How much money is the three points that would stop us getting relegated?

First thoughts only. Maybe later I will be less unhappy ??

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bit of a shock, but the bloke deserves this chance. With that £1.5M, and around 500K for Harding, surely we will have about £1M to spend on players, so with that we can bring in 4 good players, i.e. a CB, LB, LM, CF.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Just picked up the news, although I suspected something was going on when I went home yesterday. I think it's a great move for Virgs and for us. He gets a shot at top flight football - maybe even a game or two in the Champions League - and we get some much needed cash.

We've all got to understand that, until Falmer is built and running (and probably for some time afterwards), we're a selling club. Luckily we have a few assets to sell, and a few more on the production line. I think we'll miss Adam, but not as much as people might think. Last season we saw almost nothing of Elphick and Lynch, but this season we'll see a lot more. We've also got CKR - who seems to be a destined for the top, and a much more natural striker.

Over the next 4 or 5 years I expect Hinsh, CKR, Hammond, Elphick, Lynch and perhaps El Abd and Robinson all to go in the cause of keeping us afloat. Last year we had the Alive and Kicking appeal, which raised some money - but nowhere near enough. As the deficit is still there (and presumably widening) the only other solution is to sell.

I also think that this approach is good - it's the same one that Crewe have taken for over 20 years. It encourages youngsters to sign up for us, knowing that they'll be given their chance and, if good enough, be allowed to move on. We won't hold them back (unlike other clubs I could mention) and we'll both benefit. The real key is to keep on finding new talent and nurture it. I have great confidence that the present youth setup is doing just this - and will continue to do so.

My first footy post of the season.

I concur with those who are sad to see him go, but I wish him all the best. It will great to see him playing in the champions league.

However I do think that 1.5million is decent amount of money, and agree with everything Stumpy Tim said about Mcghee's acumen in the transfer market. If MM does get his hands on the money then I am confident it will be spent wisely.

Good luck Adam, all the best.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Will be sad to see him go. Gave everything when he played. Still you have to look at the bigger picture. We are not in a position to turn down that sort of money.

Good luck to him I say.:wave:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I see no reason why we shouldnt get over a million for Harding now its clearly the market value.

Cheers Adam and good luck.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I can't bothered to read through all the posts, so apologies if I'm repeating stuff.

First off - a bit disappointed, but tis a great move for the lad, and the club.

Though about this a bit more and this looks like more and more a shrewd piece of business! We are waiting for a tribunal fee for Harding - In the meantime, we have sold a player who has been at the club for a similar time, but with no (comparable) international experience for £1.5m. I'd be waving this story at the Football League like mad when we get a date!

Also - Virgo has come from (pretty much) nowhere, had 2 great seasons, been talked up by McGhee and thrust into the shop window - which has paid off by a cool £1.5m quid. I'd wager we'll see similar treatment of Hammond over the next year.

All in all - I think we'll cope without him (we're pretty set for defenders and forwards at the mo), and astute business from McGhee and Knight. Especially if this Sanchoz character can cut the mustard.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I saw this coming yesterday but only got the news just now. We will REALLY miss Virgs... as has been said he was the lifeblood of the team and I think made the difference between staying up and going down last year.

That said he deserves this opportunity and it's fantastic business. I know we probably won't see half the money on transfers but it's still great business. Well done to Dick .... 1.5 mill straight cash for a player who couldn't get into the side 18 months ago is great business.

of course I now fear for the team but Falmer IS the most important thing.... hope we can spend enough to stay up because although our youth policy is good it's not enough to fill the gaps of Harding and Virgo. We need PDQ:

1 LB
1 GK
1 CB iwth Virgs gone and Hinsh still out)
1 creative CM
1 LM

and STILL 1 big lumbering CF who can shoot, head AND cause havoc (1 out of three not enough Trolley!!!).

We've still got a month so here's hoping....

Adam, thanks for everything. We owe you so much. You're commitment will never be forgotten. Good luck at Celtic and hope to see you soon in the Blue and White of Scotland. And... we'll always welcome you back.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, this news continues my slightly surreal start to the day - but I shan't bore you with that.

It is a VERY good deal for us, and an excellent opportunity for Adam..., you never know, if he does well at Celtic he still might get an England call up!!

;)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Good business but bad football?

Depends who comes in I suppose,and from my pathetic attempts at fantasy football I guess I'm not in too strong a position to comment.

Saw Virgo at Exeter and thought that was about his limit,but of course his development has been immense.

So good luck to the bloke.He'll be OK in Scotland in a goodish squad in a poorish league.

And,hey,if we need another fine athlete who can play at right back,midfield,central defence and striker,what about the very Scottish sounding M.McCammon?

OK.I was serious until that last bit.He's not a striker.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In the past when we have sold out best players, we have ended up relegated.

This is the spine players that comprise the core of the side, e.g Adam Virgo

Not Dan Harding so much (but he could have gained us an extra six points to stave off relegation).

And I don't count Danny Cullip and Currie cause they were not that great (being ever so slow).

Unless we sign two quality players to replace Virgo we are stuffed.

Did we sell him too cheap? An ordinary Championship standard 31 year old forward costs about a £1 million.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports