Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic after Barnes

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly my thoughts.

There are a few posters on this site who consistently use the 'if you don't agree with me then you don't understand football' line as a persuasive device. Some are more subtle in their use of it than others, of course, but you can always tell what they are suggesting. It is a weak argument.

Can generally get an idea of how intelligent someone is about football with certain questions, ie if they don't get what Heskey brought to the England team, they do NOT understand football. If they quote his goals record as a reason he shouldn't have played for England, they need someone to hold their hand when crossing the road.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Can generally get an idea of how intelligent someone is about football with certain questions, ie if they don't get what Heskey brought to the England team, they do NOT understand football. If they quote his goals record as a reason he shouldn't have played for England, they need someone to hold their hand when crossing the road.

It fills me with great reassurance, that those silly people have got you there to educate them.:rolleyes:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for proving my point!

You fail to take into account that they may not feel Heskey's overall contribution (one significant of which includes goals!) justified his place. They may feel someone who might have scored more goals would have outweighed his contribution in other areas.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for proving my point!

You fail to take into account that they may not feel Heskey's overall contribution (one significant of which includes goals!) justified his place. They may feel someone who might have scored more goals would have outweighed his contribution in other areas.

No, because there's a difference between not thinking what Heskey brings to the team is enough to select him over an alternative option, and thinking Heskey doesn't bring anything to the team.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No, because there's a difference between not thinking what Heskey brings to the team is enough to select him over an alternative option, and thinking Heskey doesn't bring anything to the team.

I knew that reply was coming! I was referring mainly to the second sentence of Mellotron's post.

Irrespective of anything else, saying someone does not understand football if they do not agree with you is probably not the best way to get your point across. It comes across as quite rude, I think.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Better to be arrogant than deluded.

Not quite sure what your point is?
Does not rating a player as highly as some others, make me deluded? I thought it was just an opinion.

How's the 2 posts a day average coming on, btw?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

There's a danger there though too. Sure, in his early England career he brought a lot to the England team, but people used his early role in the team as a continuing justification to start him when he was way, way past his prime (like in the 2010 World Cup).

Basically, what I'm saying is that opinions need to be changeable as the player's ability improves or declines.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I was just reading that they are interested in Billy Sharp as well and it made me wonder. Would you really rather play in the Scottish prem than the championship??? True they are in the Champions League, but the best they can hope for is to scrape through the group stage. Is 7 Champions League games really more attractive than a promotion/play off campaign in the Championship???.....I suppose they can pay big wages, but even so it's such a terrible league it's unbelievable. I don't think I would be tempted if I was a player.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was just reading that they are interested in Billy Sharp as well and it made me wonder. Would you really rather play in the Scottish prem than the championship??? True they are in the Champions League, but the best they can hope for is to scrape through the group stage. Is 7 Champions League games really more attractive than a promotion/play off campaign in the Championship???.....I suppose they can pay big wages, but even so it's such a terrible league it's unbelievable. I don't think I would be tempted if I was a player.

Barnes had a long conversation with Randolph on the pitch after yesterday's final whistle.
Maybe that was the question he was asking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here