Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic after Barnes

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Believe we exercised our one year option on him. Which means we'll be paying him a lot less per week than we would have been.
He had enough potential to play forty games (32 more than Vicente managed) for the team that finished 4th in the Championship last year.

And can walk for free in the summer so best sell now.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Wouldn't bother me if he went as we got a decent wedge for him.

No doubting he's a good player, it's the petulant side of him I don't like.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
My take on this is how much would it cost to replace him. That is somebody who is as versatile as he is and who scores the number of goals he has in the division. I mean transfer fee and wages for I doubt if Ash has been on top Championship wages. This player needs to be in their early to mid 20s and up for improvement. That is the price we need to be asking !! I do not think a replacement, if one exists, would come cheap or easily.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Barnes is class. Haters, deal with it.

I'd be gutted to lose him. He's a natural striker and his movement is spot on. He is also only 23. His best years are ahead of him and I hope he's wearing Brighton colours when he's 26/27/28 because I think he could tear the Championship a new one.
Spot on :thumbsup:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Love Barnes, hope this isn't true. The people who don't rate him tend to have a very limited understanding of the game. He's the classic 'managers and players rate, supporters don't' player. Which tells you all you need to know really. Heskey had the same problem, your average idiot football fan would say he was shit, yet the likes of Sven and Cappello thought he was great. I know who's opinion I'd rather listen to.

Great post.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Love Barnes, hope this isn't true. The people who don't rate him tend to have a very limited understanding of the game. He's the classic 'managers and players rate, supporters don't' player. Which tells you all you need to know really. Heskey had the same problem, your average idiot football fan would say he was shit, yet the likes of Sven and Cappello thought he was great. I know who's opinion I'd rather listen to.

Correct..... It seems he's a real marmite player for us. I still think some of it goes back to Withdean when Gus played Barnes instead of Murray.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But where do you think that he fits into the system we play? At the point of a front three? On the wing? Or does the formation we play need to be adapted to fit him in?

I believe that we play the correct formation and it works if we play two genuine wingers. The Palace at home game last season being a perfect case in point. He certainly isn't a genuine winger. I also don't think he is a good enough player to occupy defences at the point of an attacking three. And I certainly don't think that he is an important enough player to bother changing the formation to accommodate him. What he does bring to the team is a bit of steel, he will run around a lot and put himself about. That I do appreciate about him and certainly at some points it is needed, but I don't think, overall, it is beneficial to have an attacker in the team as wasteful in front of goal as he is.

As you have already said on this thread that you are a Barnes hater, I'm probably wasting my time here :smile:

I have to confess that I'm not sure how Barnes will fit into Oscar's set up because I'm not yet sure how we will set up once Oscar has coached the players to play his way. I haven't seen enough of an Oscar team yet. In an ideal world I'd see Barnes upfront as a strike partner but if I am to believe what I hear, he favours just one striker. However Barnes is versatile enough to bring things to the team, even if he is played as a wide midfielder. I hope Oscar sees enough in Barnes to want to keep him here, if he doesn't then I'll be disappointed but accept it. What does he bring to the team? Well he's a committed player who closes other players down, he can run with the ball, he can pass forwards, he can control the ball instantly, he has an eye for goal from outside the box, he can help the full back in defence. He can also play defence splitting passes and never goes missing when the going gets tough. He is also an out and out striker, when required, with a decent goal tally every season, even though he has been played out of position for most of the last two seasons.

Since his last sending off he has shown more self control and. I haven't noticed him back chatting the ref lately either, he is young and improving all the time.

Will he fit in with Oscar's style? Well only Oscar can answer that. If he leaves I have no doubt he will continue to improve and we'll look back on the loss of a good player in the future.

Funnily enough I think quite a few Plymouth fans thought he was shit too, bet they'd like him back now.

But I'm not going to convince you am I?

Last edited:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
As you have already said on this thread that you are a Barnes hater, I'm probably wasting my time here :smile:

I have to confess that I'm not sure how Barnes will fit into Oscar's set up because I'm not yet sure how we will set up once Oscar has coached the players to play his way. I haven't seen enough of an Oscar team yet. In an ideal world I'd see Barnes upfront as a strike partner but if I am to believe what I hear, he favours just one striker. However Barnes is versatile enough to bring things to the team, even if he is played as a wide midfielder. I hope Oscar sees enough in Barnes to want to keep him here, if he doesn't then I'll be disappointed but accept it. What does he bring to the team? Well he's a committed player who closes other players down, he can run with the ball, he can pass forwards, he can control the ball instantly, he has an eye for goal from outside the box, he can help the full back in defence. He can also play defence splitting passes and never goes missing when the going gets tough. He is also an out and out striker, when required, with a decent goal tally every season.

Since his last sending off he has shown more self control and. I haven't noticed him back chatting the ref lately either he is young and improving all the time.

Will he fit in with Oscar's style? Well only Oscar can answer that. If he leaves I have no doubt he will continue to improve and we'll look back on the loss of a good player in the future.

But I'm not going to convince you am I?

I take your points and there are times when Barnes definitely adds something to the team. Last season away to Watford we looked weak down the left, he was brought on in the second half and we looked a lot more solid. That is when he is at his best.

I find the problem is when we are looking to actually get at teams and score a goal, that is when he isn't good enough. That seems to be most of the time with the passing football that we play. Opposition full backs must consider it a break when he comes onto their wing because more often than not he is not going to beat them for pace or have the skill level to take it round them. This is really obvious when we are chasing a game and they are sitting deep. He just isn't a threat. Maybe Oscar sees that when he took him off on Saturday when we needed a goal. If he was the natural striker and goal scorer that so many on here seem to believe that he is surely he would have been pushed up alongside Ulloa? Instead he got taken off and a midfielder brought on and we looked the better for it.

It will be interesting to see what happens if he stays. If he can keep on improving I will change my opinion, I don't have a Mr Burn's-esque pathological hatred of him, just right now I think we are look better without him in the team than in it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My take on this is how much would it cost to replace him. That is somebody who is as versatile as he is and who scores the number of goals he has in the division. I mean transfer fee and wages for I doubt if Ash has been on top Championship wages. This player needs to be in their early to mid 20s and up for improvement. That is the price we need to be asking !! I do not think a replacement, if one exists, would come cheap or easily.

r but most on her think Ash will be easy and cheap to replace because he doesn't score apparently even though he has been top and 2nd best scorer for us

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why not? (Serious question). They paid £1.5m for Virgo....

If the Peterboro forward is worth £4.5m, what price Barnes £5.5m? £6.5m?

Celtic probably have funds burning a hole in their pocket Champions League, Gary Hooper cash.....

At that price... they can have him... they wouldn't bid that high, and SSN said they are after some Finnish striker anyway...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes I think he is technically good and improving all the time. He can control most balls with ease and he has vision in his passing which he does instinctively, his lay off for the goal on Saturday was inch perfect and split the defence. He panics in front of goal at times but maybe if he had a run as an out and out striker this would improve too.

I would be pretty upset if we sold him, even for a decent fee. I am a big Barnes fan and whenever I speak to a Barnes hater I know it's gonna be somebody who has a totally different view on football to me and 90% of the time I'm right.

90%!? A bit arrogant IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here