Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Celebrity - Lovely or Shit

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh FFS! Okay, they’re all brilliant people and bloody good eggs. Obviously I’ve made the whole lot up. You’re right and I’m wrong.
God forbid people have different experiences of people. That could never happen.

“Meeewh, I met him and I thought he was really lovely”

Well I met him and I thought he was a ****.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m going to put Chris Eubank in both categories from personal experience.

Shit: back in the days when you could drive across the front of Brighton station there were disabled bays at the front. Just as I was crossing into the station I saw Eubank berating a warden who had asked him not to park there. He was giving it the worst possible “don’t you know who I am?” routine, it was embarrassing to see.

Gold: only a few months later we joined the check in queue for our Monarch flight to Alicante only to see Eubank with his missus and kids about 3 groups ahead of us in the queue. A member of check in staff spots him and invites him to leave the queue and check in at the premium desk. Eubank not only refused but points to people in the queue in front of him and very politely suggests that they check them in instead. I heard him say “I have the same tickets as these people and they were here before me “. On the flight he was about 3 rows in front of us and dealt with a constant stream of kids and blokes approaching him and was nothing other than great with everybody for a 2 hour flight. Posed for photos, signed autographs and just was a top bloke. Completely changed my opinion of him

I do hope you aren't trying to introduce some sort of 'balance' ? Everyone is either Lovely or Shit and there is no middle ground, everyone knows that. I think you're trying to undermine the whole purpose of this thread :wink:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I do hope you aren't trying to introduce some sort of 'balance' ? Everyone is either Lovely or Shit and there is no middle ground, everyone knows that. I think you're trying to undermine the whole purpose of this thread :wink:
Problem is he is the only celebrity that I have personally witnessed shit behaviour from, yet he more than redeemed himself. The exception that proves your rule, if you like

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Problem is he is the only celebrity that I have personally witnessed shit behaviour from, yet he more than redeemed himself. The exception that proves your rule, if you like

You've witnessed my behaviour in the Mill Road P&R queue :wink:

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Lovely - Steve Ovett. I helped with the renovations to his house , when he lived near 7 Dials. He and his wife Rachel were lovely friendly people.
Shit - Freddie Starr. My wife was working at The Hotel Metropole when he was staying there, and said that he was a rude, arrogant, moody twat.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
He held the door open for me at a coffee shop in Glasgow. That’s my only vague famous person interaction.
About 20 years ago (when I was still gainfully employed), I had a meeting at Highbury Stadium with one of the sons of the then-Arsenal-chairman. On the way up to see him, Arsene Wenger held the door open for us and wished us a "good morning".

Later that day, in a hostelry in London we were heading into the bar and Terry Venables held the door open for us, I thanked him and he assured me that it was "no problem".

Strange days indeed.

Both came across as lovely blokes in what was admittedly both very short interactions.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Mine are, to a degree, BHAFC related.

2x lovelies- Norman Cook, a spectacularly decent geezer and Sid (Gary) from CBeebies who I sat next to at a few games in The Championship - funny, modest, great with kids and genuinely does loads for charity.

Shit - Teddy Maybank unfortunately. Got pissed and tried to fight half the pub,
I did a Q and A with Teddy at the Hove Sporting Club last year, I previously had also had some negative experiences with him, but when I heard his entire story including the cortisone injections that effectively f***** his knee, his career and in turn his life, it’s clear he‘s had some issues. The 21st century Ted, is in a good place, and a genuinely nice person, I hope you get the chance to have a Guinness with him at some point old boy 👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did a Q and A with Teddy at the Hove Sporting Club last year, I previously had also had some negative experiences with him, but when I heard his entire story including the cortisone injections that effectively f***** his knee, his career and in turn his life, it’s clear he‘s had some issues. The 21st century Ted, is in a good place, and a genuinely nice person, I hope you get the chance to have a Guinness with him at some point old boy 👍
Cheers, I didn’t know all that.

Always happy to give people a second chance, especially Albion footballers (except, of course, Kemi Agustien).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can sort of cover Brucie. I used to collect autographs as a kid. I sent him a nice handwritten fan letter along with the sleeve from the hardback copy of his autobiography for him to sign. This was post Generation Game but pre-Strictly come back.

A few weeks later I got a lovely signed letter back from Sir Bruce, along with the book cover signed and dedicated in the SAE I provided.

Still have it ☺️

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sports mainly.

Lovely.

Paul Collingwood
Andrew Strauss

Met them at an England cricket match. Chatted with my son and his friend, listening attentively

Not very nice

Nasser Hussain - arrogant

Golf…
Lovely

Corey Pavin (couldn’t stand him during Ryder Cups)
Nick Price (multiple major winner)
The Late Barry Lane
The late Peter Alliss.

Arrogant

Tom Kite
Woosnam

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here