Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Misc] Celebrity - Lovely or Shit

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Lovely - Richard Hawley. The actor who played Johnny Conner in Coronation Street, DS Haskins in Prime Suspect and the Deputy PM in Love Actually is my next door neighbour. Thoroughly lovely gent. Heā€˜s responsible for me having a ā€œBacon Numberā€ of 3 (Google it)(caveat, Iā€™m not an actor).

Shit - Not going to mention the name. Another local actor whoā€™s been in Coro recently but since left. I have heard rumours that his attempts to raise spirits during COVID lockdown didnā€™t go down too well with local residents

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lovely.. ancelotti, sat next to him at a restaurant a few years ago and was with parents, who were completely embarrassing and approached him at the end of the night. He was very nice, taking pics and having a laugh, I was mortified though and stood outside!

Lovely .. many many years ago had a very brief chat with Ben stiller and Owen Wilson who helped me and my friend impress some layyydees by pretending to know us in a club. Coogan was hanging out with them as well. This was 15 or so years ago when London only had 2 or 3 private member's clubs. Now every other place markets themselves as that.

Lovely.. unlikely pairing Tommy Fraser and jailbird lee Hughes hanging out together in a club. Sat with them for a good hour they bought all the drinks, just both very down to earth but I guess they are hardly big ballers. I felt sorry for Hughes he had made one big mistake that had changed his whole life.

Thought was shit but was lovely .. very random one but got in a fight with Finley quaye in a club once (I didn't know who he was) I cannot for the life of me remember what it was about but I was definitely in the wrong. He was lovely though, calmed me down and stopped me from getting kicked out. I listened to 'even after all' the other day, still sounds amazing.

A few people have mentioned gaffney. I've seen him at Soho house a few times and he seems really nice. People take the piss out of him incessantly and he takes the banter really well. Idris Elba is always at Soho house as well.

I really can't think of any shits. I remember sherringham and Anderton were twats from my bmuff clubbing days but that's only because people were taking the piss out of them. Sherringham could barely strong a sentence together, thick as two short planks.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Love:

Nigel Kennedy who I met on a train coming back from a match up North. We chatted football all the way back to London and he bought me a drink. Fine chap he was.

Shit:

A nameless international cricketer who, when I was 14 and asking him for his autograph, made me carry his kit coffin all the way to his car before he would give it to me.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From personal experience;

Lovely - Christopher Eccleston

Shit - John Nettles

Lovely - Mark Gattis

Shit - Dean Gaffney

Lovely- Lee Mack

Shit - Bodger
Nettles was very well known about town when I lived in Jersey, donā€™t recall anyone moaning about him including several friends who had extras roles in the show.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Do tell the Dean Gaffney anecdote please
Dean has to a degree been used and then spat out by the system, Amy did Celebs Go Dating (?) with him on Ch 4 and said underneath he was a really nice bloke.
Nettles was very well known about town when I lived in Jersey, donā€™t recall anyone moaning about him including several friends who had extras roles in the show.
I met Nettles when he was doing Panto in Manchester in the mid 1980ā€™s at the height of Bergerac and was the perfect Gentleman.

Taking Cilla and the other serial offenders out I think this thread is more about catching celebs on the right or wrong day.

David Walliams has attracted a fair bit of bad press over the years yet when he came to read his childrenā€™s stories to the kids at Chestnut Tree House he was a delight and then within hours of his visit the Hospice received a significant (5 figure) anonymous donation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh FFS! Okay, theyā€™re all brilliant people and bloody good eggs. Obviously Iā€™ve made the whole lot up. Youā€™re right and Iā€™m wrong.
God forbid people have different experiences of people. That could never happen.

ā€œMeeewh, I met him and I thought he was really lovelyā€

Well I met him and I thought he was a ****.

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mrs Bobkin met Bobby Zamora many moons ago when she worked at the Alex Ave she said he was shi... a bloody lovely bloke šŸ‘šŸ¼

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Seeing the international cricketer reference above, years ago when he was still playing for Essex I was leaving the ground after a T20 game and saw Ravi Bopara in the garden of The Cricketerā€™s taking selfies with all and sundry, seemed a lovely chap.

Not sure his Essex teammates heā€™d left waiting on the coach agreedā€¦

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Oh FFS! Okay, theyā€™re all brilliant people and bloody good eggs. Obviously Iā€™ve made the whole lot up. Youā€™re right and Iā€™m wrong.
God forbid people have different experiences of people. That could never happen.

ā€œMeeewh, I met him and I thought he was really lovelyā€

Well I met him and I thought he was a ****.
And thatā€™s the point old boy, a lot of the time itā€™s about how you catch them on the specific day.

Not on the Cilla scale but I was once told National hero Sir Bobby Charlton wasn't that ā€˜fan friendlyā€™ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And thatā€™s the point old boy, a lot of the time itā€™s about how you catch them on the specific day.

Not on the Cilla scale but I was once told National hero Sir Bobby Charlton wasn't that ā€˜fan friendlyā€™ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
'Grumpy old Bastard' was the phrase I heard Lenny, but then we've all had days like that, haven't we :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Iā€™m going to have one of those ā€œideal dinner guestā€ nights with this lot and get to the bottom of it.

If Cilla is a no-show Iā€™ll know I was right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You are, of course, right.

Donā€™t worry, some days even I donā€™t agree with me šŸ˜€

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mine are, to a degree, BHAFC related.

2x lovelies- Norman Cook, a spectacularly decent geezer and Sid (Gary) from CBeebies who I sat next to at a few games in The Championship - funny, modest, great with kids and genuinely does loads for charity.

Shit - Teddy Maybank unfortunately. Got pissed and tried to fight half the pub,

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Iā€™m going to put Chris Eubank in both categories from personal experience.

Shit: back in the days when you could drive across the front of Brighton station there were disabled bays at the front. Just as I was crossing into the station I saw Eubank berating a warden who had asked him not to park there. He was giving it the worst possible ā€œdonā€™t you know who I am?ā€ routine, it was embarrassing to see.

Gold: only a few months later we joined the check in queue for our Monarch flight to Alicante only to see Eubank with his missus and kids about 3 groups ahead of us in the queue. A member of check in staff spots him and invites him to leave the queue and check in at the premium desk. Eubank not only refused but points to people in the queue in front of him and very politely suggests that they check them in instead. I heard him say ā€œI have the same tickets as these people and they were here before me ā€œ. On the flight he was about 3 rows in front of us and dealt with a constant stream of kids and blokes approaching him and was nothing other than great with everybody for a 2 hour flight. Posed for photos, signed autographs and just was a top bloke. Completely changed my opinion of him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here