Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] CBD Oil

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Take a look at the 'Alexander Technique', a specific breathing and alignment technique that I use often and which you can practice in bed too. 5 mins of deep breathing sends me off to sleep. I tend to breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 10 secs and then slowly let your breath out for 20 secs which does the trick for starters. Once you get better at this you can find yourself doing some impressive things. I can breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 30 and slowly let out the breath for over a minute. Effectively breathing in once every minute and a half at least.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
No worries - breathing exercises are great. Tip - do them in the day sometimes as well and not just when trying to sleep. Lowers stress generally and therefore can aid sleep later on.
I'm going to set up the Mindfulness app on my Apple Watch as a reminder (y)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks Westy :)

I've had this issue for a number of years - on and off. Tried all sorts ... pretty much everything that is recommended by websites like Sleep Foundation.

I never sleep during the day but do find myself falling asleep in front of the TV anytime from 8pm/9pm in the evening when watching dramas on TV. I often have to catch up the next day and watch the bits I've missed!!

I read when I go to bed and often drop off in the middle of reading - waking as I'm dropping my book. Actually getting to sleep is usually OK. It's the constant waking up in the night - loo visits - and then not being able to get back to sleep which is the problem. And sometimes waking after 4am and just knowing I won't get back to sleep!

I paid for private CBT a few years ago. They start off by trying to reset your sleeping cycle. They do that by telling you not to go to bed until midnight/1am - but getting up usual time of say 7am. And a 'trick' for when the mid is working overtime ... a bit like counting sheep, but focusing on one simple word that doesn't have any connotation ... like 'the'. So you just repeat the the the the the! I paid for 12 months CBT but gave up after 6 months as it wasn't really helping and we just seem to be going over the same old stuff every day.

Oh ... and I absolutely love walking. It's my favourite form of exercise. I have different routes I do and sometimes get a bus or train somewhere random and walk home.

And yes ... I'm avoiding the news in general more and more generally. Another reason that thread zapping tool would be useful for!

That's commonplace amongst blokes eg my father in law.

I beat that with minimal liquids intake in the evening and counter-intuitively not going to bed too early (emptying the bladder fully at the later bedtime).

Mental health (depression and/or anxiety) can be a cause too.

I've not tried it myself, by hypnosis can be a game-changer on sleep quality.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The Wim Hof breathing exercises are great for this. I use them regularly at bedtime or even in bed.
Will read up on this - but found this warning :eek:

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 12.30.18.png

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Take a look at the 'Alexander Technique', a specific breathing and alignment technique that I use often and which you can practice in bed too. 5 mins of deep breathing sends me off to sleep. I tend to breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 10 secs and then slowly let your breath out for 20 secs which does the trick for starters. Once you get better at this you can find yourself doing some impressive things. I can breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 30 and slowly let out the breath for over a minute. Effectively breathing in once every minute and a half at least.
WOW!

It looks like breathing techniques could be a big help ... 🙏

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That's commonplace amongst blokes eg my father in law.

I beat that with minimal liquids intake in the evening and counter-intuitively not going to bed too early (emptying the bladder fully at the later bedtime).

Mental health (depression and/or anxiety) can be a cause too.

I've not tried it myself, by hypnosis can be a game-changer on sleep quality.
For the couple of weeks or so I've stopped drinking from 7pm (I usually only drink water from 12 noon onwards) - other than a small amount of water to take my statin around 9pm.And today is day 20 of no booze!

I tried hypnosis a couple of years ago - someone my wife used. But after 3 sessions we (as in myself and the lady hypnotist) decided I shouldn't waste any more money as she couldn't get me to go under (or whatever it is they do). My mind just continued to be over active while she was talking to me in a very calming way.

I've tried meditation type music in bed as well. My 7 year old granddaughter told me to try it as she has music on throughout the night at a low level. I tried it - just loud enough to hear it ... lovely relaxing sounds ... except it annoyed the hell out of me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Like I said ... I've tried most things :confused:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the couple of weeks or so I've stopped drinking from 7pm (I usually only drink water from 12 noon onwards) - other than a small amount of water to take my statin around 9pm.And today is day 20 of no booze!

I tried hypnosis a couple of years ago - someone my wife used. But after 3 sessions we (as in myself and the lady hypnotist) decided I shouldn't waste any more money as she couldn't get me to go under (or whatever it is they do). My mind just continued to be over active while she was talking to me in a very calming way.

I've tried meditation type music in bed as well. My 7 year old granddaughter told me to try it as she has music on throughout the night at a low level. I tried it - just loud enough to hear it ... lovely relaxing sounds ... except it a :lolol: nnoyed the hell out of me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Like I said ... I've tried most things :confused:

That's funny .... my instinct is that hypnosis would never work on me. Hyperactive thoughts going off at tangents.

Meditation - you don't need music. Just find a quiet place, it might lying in bed at 4am. Slow your breathing down, breathe fully as if filling your entire torso, in through the nose, then start to think of switching off the energy to feet, hands, etc, working towards the forehead. Step by step. Persist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't sleep particularly well, but when I know I need a good night's sleep I usually take some melatonin - used to use it when travelling with work to help get over jetlag (it's fantastic for that) but wouldn't want to get to the point of needing to rely on it so only use it occasionally. No screens late at night, no caffeine after mid-day and slow, deep breathing def helps for me. Think it's prescription-only in the UK - I pick up a bottle whenever I'm in the US or Asia where it's pretty freely available OTC.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That's funny .... my instinct is that hypnosis would never work on me. Hyperactive thoughts going off at tangents.

Meditation - you don't need music. Just find a quiet place, it might lying in bed at 4am. Slow your breathing down, breathe fully as if filling your entire torso, in through the nose, then start to think of switching off the energy to feet, hands, etc, working towards the forehead. Step by step. Persist.
That was me during my hypnosis sessions ... mind going everywhere else. And thoughts of ... 'when is she going to shut up' :ROFLMAO:

The meditation bit makes a lot of sense. The persistence thing is where I struggle ... I'm not very patient :oops: I will try to be better!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I don't sleep particularly well, but when I know I need a good night's sleep I usually take some melatonin - used to use it when travelling with work to help get over jetlag (it's fantastic for that) but wouldn't want to get to the point of needing to rely on it so only use it occasionally. No screens late at night, no caffeine after mid-day and slow, deep breathing def helps for me. Think it's prescription-only in the UK - I pick up a bottle whenever I'm in the US or Asia where it's pretty freely available OTC.
I looked at melatonin online when a mate suggested it. Got to the point of what it was for and they would only agree to supply it if it was for jet lag. Now I know I could have given the answer they needed ... but that's just not me. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes ... although as you say, probably not something you'd want to rely on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was me during my hypnosis sessions ... mind going everywhere else. And thoughts of ... 'when is she going to shut up' :ROFLMAO:

The meditation bit makes a lot of sense. The persistence thing is where I struggle ... I'm not very patient :oops: I will try to be better!

So don't make the meditation another thing to stress about. Try it for a minute one night, then again in future nights, perhaps extending the time.

I'm lazy about doing it, but I found that when I did at bedtime, next thing you know it's 7 hours later after a better sleep :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here