Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Catching them

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One thing I was looking forward to, ahead of last night's game, was the prospect of sitting just one point behind those wankers up the road.

Granted, they'd have had two games in hand on us, but with their next two fixtures being Leicester (away) and Man City (at home), there did seem to be the real chance of us looking down on them for a while and, with a bit of luck, finishing above them in the Premier League.

But, yeah, we know how that went.

And doesn't that always seem to be the case? Every time we seem to be within touching distance, we **** it up royally, consigning ourselves to a longer period of time wondering when the tide will turn in our favour.

*sigh*

For 4 seasons.

We simply make things hard for ourselves.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But, but, but ... we did it in the second half against Wolves. What's happened since?

The mythical second half against Wolves. Where surely the only reason we played well was because it was almost impossible to play any worse than the first half.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
As far as I'm concerned, bragging rights are about league positioning and most recent results. The Wankpuffins are in possession and may enjoy that. The kunnts.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking at the fixtures, I doubt it. But we’re still quite clearly so so so so much better than them in all areas (apart from maybe finishing), so I won’t be too bothered. Big refurb job needed on their old caravans in the Summer too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have a feeling that this year, yet again, we'll finish behind them...

BUT, next year will be different.

(then again, I say that every year!)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I have a feeling that this year, yet again, we'll finish behind them...

BUT, next year will be different.

(then again, I say that every year!)
Agreed I think next year will be the change and we will remain above them for a while.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Palace have a huge opportunity to rebuild their squad this summer and also bring in a progressive exciting young manager from somewhere.

It's a case of waiting to see how well they manage the situation. If they promise Smug Eddie a decent war chest for incoming players I could see him doing well there.
But realistically I'm not expecting their invisible American owners to be very generous with making funds available.
Old man Roy has done a decent job in keeping them out of danger this season, even if they are terrible to watch.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
They are on the edge of one way or the other. How we have managed to keep below them for so long I’ve no idea. Looking at everything on and off the pitch, surely next season is the one that we finally establish ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
They are on the edge of one way or the other. How we have managed to keep below them for so long I’ve no idea. Looking at everything on and off the pitch, surely next season is the one that we finally establish ourselves and they will hopefully end up going through the leagues.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Hmmm.

I think their strongest first 11 is slightly better than ours - they currently have a real star player in Zaha (we hate him because he is good) which we don't.and Hodgson plays to their strengths while Potter doesn't seem to know what are strengths are.

I guess the proof is in the pudding - they always finish above us in the league and the league never lies.

Our strength is playing as a team

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Palace have a huge opportunity to rebuild their squad this summer and also bring in a progressive exciting young manager from somewhere.

Have they come into some money or something? Sorry, I pay very little attention to stuff going on outside of Brighton these days. Would have thought with the pandemic almost all clubs will be having very quiet summers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Have they come into some money or something? Sorry, I pay very little attention to stuff going on outside of Brighton these days. Would have thought with the pandemic almost all clubs will be having very quiet summers.
They have loads and loads of first team players out of contract and off the wage bill.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

They did that a few years ago: how many games did De Boer last? Was it six?

It's one thing wanting to rebuild a squad and play better football, it's much harder to do it. It's why I think Potter's ability to reshape the team completely and maintain our PL status has been incredible.

If Palace want to do similar, they're going to have to swallow a bad run along the way. As we saw with De Boer, Prince Charming would never have tolerared the winless run that Potter had earlier this season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have a £20 end of season highest in table bet with a pub owning mate of mine.
He jokes that he now declares me on his tax return I'm paying him so much.
Seeing him at the end of May and got a sneaky feeling I'm going to be quids in.
He did say a month or so back he couldn't see Palace getting another point this season, which is how it's going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here