Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Casuals: The story of the Legendary Terrace Fashion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the casuals sum up the 80’s perfectly. They represent the very essence of the sort of Thatcherite inspired consumerism, capitalism, and individualism that made the decade so different from other periods. Certainly an interesting subject even if you think they all looked the same.

1979-82, before I left the UK, football 'fashion' was an embarrassment. Nowhere I went (at night time) would let any of that sort in.

'Casuals' :lolol:

Fill your mouldy boots, though.

And remember when you were just a twinkle in her eye...

calling [MENTION=34997]Your Mum[/MENTION]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wShL3lIkro

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
Football fashion diverse? Casual football fans in the 80s followed each other like sheep. One week everyone was wearing Fred Perrys; a few weeks later everyone is wearing Pringles with a roll neck jumper underneath, then everyone has to have Lois jeans, then it's Kickers, then it's Tacchini, or Benetton or Gabicci. Every ground in the country the same type of blokes wearing the same range of golf or tennis clothes, all thinking they are superior but all looking like their mum's had dressed them...
You were so very obviously intimidated by them, it's shines through like a beacon in this post

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You were so very obviously intimidated by them, it's shines through like a beacon in this post

Most normal, decent, people do not see 'being intimidating' as a positve character trait.
The need to indimidate others, and taking pleasure in doing so, is a sign of deep rooted insecurity and a weakness.

Hard as that is for some to understand.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Electric Blue Lois cords, Australian or Cerruti 1881 tracksuit tops and Diadora were the peak.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Football fashion diverse? Casual football fans in the 80s followed each other like sheep. One week everyone was wearing Fred Perrys; a few weeks later everyone is wearing Pringles with a roll neck jumper underneath, then everyone has to have Lois jeans, then it's Kickers, then it's Tacchini, or Benetton or Gabicci. Every ground in the country the same type of blokes wearing the same range of golf or tennis clothes, all thinking they are superior but all looking like their mum's had dressed them...

I was born in 88 so only have 2 years experience of the 80's :laugh: But you have just named English, Scottish, French, Spanish and several Italian brands. Pretty diverse in my book? As the years have passed you can add countless other brands from around the world and influences from all manner of sports, film and music.

I can't speak for everyone who follows the culture - but for me personally not looking the same as the others has always been the target. Admittedly there are plenty out there who see it as a uniform and will pick up the identikit pieces be it the standard Stone Island knit and obligatory check cap and that is their prerogative. For them it is usually a passing phase and they will move on. Generally anything I purchase I will want to make sure none of my mates have the same if I can help it. Call me a vein ******* but it is a good feeling walking into a pub and having someone say 'that's nice where you pick that up?'

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I would actually be really interested to hear what you believe the "casual scene" represented.

For myself it was all about the sport wear, trying to pick something up that nobody else has. I got about 10 pairs of Forest Hills, from everyday wear to a pair I haven’t even worn, all in all got over 50 pairs of adidas original trainers. I prefer Fila a track top, not overly keen on tachini or ellese, partial to a bit of lacoste and Lyle and Scott. Kickers,I wear them in the winter.
As a kid growing up in the 80s and going on school trips to France and Germany I loved going into the sports shops over there,the smell of them was fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here