Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carrier bags

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
A couple in front of me were told in the queue for the East Upper that they couldn’t bring their carrier bags into the ground today.

They queried it and were told it’s a new policy - no carrier bags.

Now that’s just bizarre. Maybe I’m missing the point but what is the risk of a carrier bag? What happens if you buy something from the shop beforehand for example? What next - no shoe laces, no belts, no pens, no credit cards other than Amex ….?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it was me, I'd take a photo of the steward that was telling me this and advise them that I'm sending that to Paul Barber. Utterly ridiculous. If the stewards can't check that a carrier bag doesn't have a bomb in it then they shouldn't be doing the job.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was it a clear carrier bag ? Like they use in the club shop

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A couple in front of me were told in the queue for the East Upper that they couldn’t bring their carrier bags into the ground today.

Now that’s just bizarre. Maybe I’m missing the point but what is the risk of a carrier bag? What happens if you buy something from the shop beforehand for example? What next - no shoe laces, no belts, no pens, no credit cards other than Amex ….?
Bags can be no bigger than A4 size, and the club shop ones are clear. The rules have been in place for over two years.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Were exactly the final thoughts of Stephen Milligan MP…

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021

Its a bit bizarre as if you buy something from the club shop you get given a clear carrier bag and bring it into the ground, Ive seen that many times before. What I thought was odd was came from seat to concourse and then on returning to seta had to show my ticket. Why? Im already in past the barrier? Maybe try that with Pal@rse after they all jump the barriers but home fans!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
4-0 home win, superb performance…. and this!!
Yes I know, I did think i didn’t want to take the gloss off the win. But that couple were really upset and were sent away to work out what the **** they were going to do now - just because the club is playing well it shouldn’t mean that everything else doesn’t matter. There will be a time when we are not playing well and such petty rules might put people off. When the ground is full and people are happy, these sneaky ridiculous rule changes can more easily be brought in under the radar and get a bit less publicity.

But I will say I am not up to speed on these rules and I am assuming that the steward was telling the truth in saying it was a new rule. If it’s been in place for a while it’s still a silly rule but a different argument to the one they were using.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Are we going to have our blow up seagulls confiscated when we play Grimsby? Based on this I would reckon so.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You can stuff them into the neck of a bottle, and create a home made bottle top.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Rules are simple. No bag over A4 size is permitted. This is also a general security rule at many venues, not just football. Basicaly it stops people bringing in bombs. Club use clear plastic so that the contents can be seen. There is a bag drop outside the south east corner (£5 I think) at which 29,999 queue up post match to collect their bag.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yes I know, I did think i didn’t want to take the gloss off the win. But that couple were really upset and were sent away to work out what the **** they were going to do now - just because the club is playing well it shouldn’t mean that everything else doesn’t matter. There will be a time when we are not playing well and such petty rules might put people off. When the ground is full and people are happy, these sneaky ridiculous rule changes can more easily be brought in under the radar and get a bit less publicity.

But I will say I am not up to speed on these rules and I am assuming that the steward was telling the truth in saying it was a new rule. If it’s been in place for a while it’s still a silly rule but a different argument to the one they were using.
Was it an official clear clubshop bag?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Rules are simple. No bag over A4 size is permitted. This is also a general security rule at many venues, not just football. Basicaly it stops people bringing in bombs. Club use clear plastic so that the contents can be seen. There is a bag drop outside the south east corner (£5 I think) at which 29,999 queue up post match to collect their bag.
That makes sense, but the steward specifically said to them ‘no carrier bags - it’s a new rule’. So probably that’s all bollocks.

And didn’t say ‘had it been a clear bag, no problem’.

I must say they took it better than I would have done.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When my daughter came to the Fulham game she had an organic canvas tote bag (she IS from Brighton!) containing a 1l sports bottle of water. I told her the bottle top would be removed. The steward doing the searches in the queue to th e South stand told her she wouldn't be let in with the bag either as it was bigger than A4 but she rolled it up and was let in, leaving the water bottle next to the turnstile on the ground, with all the others.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Surprised the steward didn't point them in the direction of the bag drop. I've always found them most helpful to fans and visitors.
They may well have done so subsequently, discussions were still ongoing when I went past them in the queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here