Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Assuming what? He said it. Brighton Twitter account even posted it, and then deleted it
He never said the actual words 2 or 3 players though did he?

We can also assume that we could cancel some potential loan outgoings to replace Enciso couldn’t we?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He never said the actual words 2 or 3 players though did he?

We can also assume that we could cancel some potential loan outgoings to replace Enciso couldn’t we?

You’re right. Maybe he wants 1 player who is an attacker, a midfielder and a left back

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He said a midfielder to replace Caicedo and attackers. Pretty clear he wants 2 or 3 additions including Baleba.
Ok! I feel there may be a few disappointed people come the weekend. Some folks should manage their expectations.

I’m more than happy with our window tbh.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ok! I feel there may be a few disappointed people come the weekend. Some folks should manage their expectations.

I’m more than happy with our window tbh.

I wasn't moaning, just pointing out that DZ did indeed say he wanted a couple of players.

If anything, I tend to be one of the more optimistic members of our fanbase and will be happy enough if we go with what we've got (including Baleba). Wouldn't say no to a couple of additions though! Barco in particular would be lovely.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Often our “ones for the future” seem to get over the line at the last minute. Whether that’s Barco, Diaz, Baleba or whoever this year.

I’m also inclined not to worry too much about Naylor downplaying the activity. He rarely gets any scoops anymore, and even if he knew anything the club has probably briefed him to keep it quiet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What we want and what we'll get are two very different things IMO. This one (Baleba) is where we had no natural option or replacement and was the 'must have'. Naylor's tweet suggests we may be looking at an attacking player, maybe a loan but we do also have the option of retaining Bounanotte rather than loaning him which makes this a 'should have'. Right back is interesting. Does RDZ trust Veltman to play there and Lamptey to be available for most of the season and pitch in to maybe 20 or so games? This is a 'should have' too IMO, we can't have Milner there all season, but it does depend on how our coach views those players and how well Lamps has come through his U21 fitness tests. Finally there's left back cover. Probably a must but a very difficult one to fulfil. You're going to come in knowing you're going to be played in 10 games or less if Pervis stays fit and that you'll be compared to him by the fans. It would need to be a young player keen to bide his time. That could be Samuels, downgrading this to a 'should have'.

Those who've done software projects will, by now, be reaching for the wanky / what a bellcheese response to the above but it shows the Albion are still doing things right. Get the absolute must haves done and move on to the less vital / more difficult. Transfers don't always fall that way, of course, because it only takes an injury, price change or stagnation in the market to snarl things up, but we've covered the bare minimum. Taking what's said in press conferences out for a second, Dahood, Milner, Pedro, Verbruggen, Igor (can he play LB?), Baleba in and Adingra back from loan looks decent. It was only a couple of weeks ago that no one could see a first team spot for 'the next Messi'.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why would the club tell Naylor about other potential signings?

Why openly risk alerting other clubs of our intentions?

FWIW, and I'm sure RDZ would feel the same, we are two signings short assuming Baleba is on board.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What we want and what we'll get are two very different things IMO. This one (Baleba) is where we had no natural option or replacement and was the 'must have'. Naylor's tweet suggests we may be looking at an attacking player, maybe a loan but we do also have the option of retaining Bounanotte rather than loaning him which makes this a 'should have'. Right back is interesting. Does RDZ trust Veltman to play there and Lamptey to be available for most of the season and pitch in to maybe 20 or so games? This is a 'should have' too IMO, we can't have Milner there all season, but it does depend on how our coach views those players and how well Lamps has come through his U21 fitness tests. Finally there's left back cover. Probably a must but a very difficult one to fulfil. You're going to come in knowing you're going to be played in 10 games or less if Pervis stays fit and that you'll be compared to him by the fans. It would need to be a young player keen to bide his time. That could be Samuels, downgrading this to a 'should have'.

Those who've done software projects will, by now, be reaching for the wanky / what a bellcheese response to the above but it shows the Albion are still doing things right. Get the absolute must haves done and move on to the less vital / more difficult. Transfers don't always fall that way, of course, because it only takes an injury, price change or stagnation in the market to snarl things up, but we've covered the bare minimum. Taking what's said in press conferences out for a second, Dahood, Milner, Pedro, Verbruggen, Igor (can he play LB?), Baleba in and Adingra back from loan looks decent. It was only a couple of weeks ago that no one could see a first team spot for 'the next Messi'.
IM sure RDZ trusts Veltman to play there, in the right cicumstances. He is the best defensive RB in the club by a country mile.

His main issue is he's not a natural wing back, and as we want to play on front foot and get RWB down the sides, that imho is why he isnt starting.

But we are competing on 4 fronts this season, and for a man to man (as he so ably demonstrated against the diving cheat Zaha) or if holding a lead, and switiching to a more defensive set up, theres nobody better than Veltman.

A master of the dark arts and a top right sided defender.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Naylor knows nothing anymore, time will tell if we bring in someone in addition to Baleba
He knows what his contact(s) at the club has/have told him. Which may or may not be 100% true.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
IM sure RDZ trusts Veltman to play there, in the right cicumstances. He is the best defensive RB in the club by a country mile.

His main issue is he's not a natural wing back, and as we want to play on front foot and get RWB down the sides, that imho is why he isnt starting.

But we are competing on 4 fronts this season, and for a man to man (as he so ably demonstrated against the diving cheat Zaha) or if holding a lead, and switiching to a more defensive set up, theres nobody better than Veltman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Velts, one of my favourite footballers in the club. I'd stick him on Gordon on Saturday without a second thought and watch him own the bleach haired scouse div all day. But the selection of Milner for the first three games suggests RDZ is having second thoughts because Milner is even less of a wing back than Veltman.

In theory people on this thread saying we need a RB haven't seen our potential depth. Absolute pacy WB in Tariq, great defender in Velts and experienced pro with unbelievable technique and fitness in Milner. But all three lack the things the others have if you see what I mean. Certainly we've been attacked down our right in all three games so far. Milner coped easily against Luton and helped get us into the game in the first half. Less so against Wolves and ripped to bits by West Ham.

footywithuti

Jun 20, 2022
Afternoon everyone, hope you’re doing well. Here’s a video detailing everything you need to know about new signing Carlos Baleba in 90 seconds for those interested. Despite being just 19, he’s already amongst the best across Europe’s big 5 leagues in several metrics, and I have no doubt he’s going to smash it at Brighton. Let me know what you make of him and feel free to ask any questions you may have, cheers!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't get me wrong, I love Velts, one of my favourite footballers in the club. I'd stick him on Gordon on Saturday without a second thought and watch him own the bleach haired scouse div all day. But the selection of Milner for the first three games suggests RDZ is having second thoughts because Milner is even less of a wing back than Veltman.

In theory people on this thread saying we need a RB haven't seen our potential depth. Absolute pacy WB in Tariq, great defender in Velts and experienced pro with unbelievable technique and fitness in Milner. But all three lack the things the others have if you see what I mean. Certainly we've been attacked down our right in all three games so far. Milner coped easily against Luton and helped get us into the game in the first half. Less so against Wolves and ripped to bits by West Ham.
I do wonder if Milner has been starting because Lallana hasn't, and he wants one of them there for their experienced head and leadership.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

If his issue with Veltman is that he isn't a natural wingback, why would he replace him with Gross or Milner, two of the slowest players in our squad? I'm amazed and confused that Veltman doesn't play. He could have put Milner as DM, pushed Gross upfield and dropped Welbeck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here