Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m not sure how the star lizard super computer came up with the stats for Baleba and also the fee as he hardly played in France.
Did they want to leave him playing in France for another season and Caceido leaving forced their hand because he doesn’t look like he’s had first team experience.

RDZ went off his head when we were 4-2 up against Spurs and he didn’t take out the runner for a tactical yellow. Luckily someone missed it could of easily gone 4-3 and a nerve racking end to the game.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Considering what we paid for him strange he has not had more playing time. Hope DeZerbi agreed with the signing. Had so few minutes hard to make a judgement. Looked great with winning ball and making forward runs on his debut
When you say ‘agreed with the signing’ what level of information on the signing are you expecting him to have? Is it watched him live, watched videos of games he played in, watched clips, read a report from the scouting department…?

My guess is that with international recruitment and the amount of time RDZ needs to dedicate to working with current squad it’s much nearer the lighter end of involvement. But I don’t actually have a clue and it’d be interesting to know how this works.

Jimmy Grimble

Why do they need a rest they’ve just been on holiday to Dubai.
So they’re fresher for Luton and Palace. It’s three games in seven days.

Jimmy Grimble

Has to be time for Baleba in a midfield pivot.

Gilmour has proven he can’t do the defensive duties of a DM. Gross is wasted that deep. Milner hasn’t got the legs. Dahoud is clearly miles out of favour. And after that, who else?

Give the lad a run of games like we did with Bissouma and Caicedo and pray that he shows similar levels of progression. It’s been an issue in midfield all season, and if we’re not going to sign someone ready made, it’s surely time to give Baleba the minutes he needs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Gilmour has proven he can’t do the defensive duties of a DM. Gross is wasted that deep. Milner hasn’t got the legs. Dahoud is clearly miles out of favour. And after that, who else?

Give the lad a run of games like we did with Bissouma and Caicedo and pray that he shows similar levels of progression. It’s been an issue in midfield all season, and if we’re not going to sign someone ready made, it’s surely time to give Baleba the minutes he needs.

He’s literally the only contender.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Totally agree. He’s clearly raw but I really think there’s something there and the Gross/Gilmour combination is a disaster against half decent/physical opposition.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Do you see Carlos getting starts for the rest of the season?

I know RDZ used words to the effect of "not ready for PL football", which isn't encouraging.

I just think that bringing him through is a strategic imperative. Medium term we're desperate for someone who can win a tackle, cover ground and hopefully do the things that Moises and Yves did for us in seasons past. Carlos isn;t that man yet. But he could be.

Gilmour and Gross aren't going to get a rest for the rest of the season, they have huge international breaks where they will be trying their hardest to cement places in the squads.

We don't have Dahoud, Milner is currently out, there's no certainty over Hinsh's injury position and there's no youth players playing at defensive Mid who seem close to challenging for a place.

So, to me, it seems like the next couple of games are ones where Baleba can be rotated in to the starting line up. Maybe Pascal comes out this weekend and Billy the weekend after.

I think we should look to get Carlos 3 starts in a row, see how he comes on. See how we can use him for the busy period coming up.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

I know RDZ used words to the effect of "not ready for PL football", which isn't encouraging.

I just think that bringing him through is a strategic imperative. Medium term we're desperate for someone who can win a tackle, cover ground and hopefully do the things that Moises and Yves did for us in seasons past. Carlos isn;t that man yet. But he could be.

Gilmour and Gross aren't going to get a rest for the rest of the season, they have huge international breaks where they will be trying their hardest to cement places in the squads.

We don't have Dahoud, Milner is currently out, there's no certainty over Hinsh's injury position and there's no youth players playing at defensive Mid who seem close to challenging for a place.

So, to me, it seems like the next couple of games are ones where Baleba can be rotated in to the starting line up. Maybe Pascal comes out this weekend and Billy the weekend after.

I think we should look to get Carlos 3 starts in a row, see how he comes on. See how we can use him for the busy period coming up.

There was similar feeling about Gilmour at this stage last season and he came in and did brilliantly.

I think Baleba will start to come good sooner rather than later. He has all the attributes to be a top DM, he mainly needs to improve his positioning for RDZball and decision making in when to challenge and when to try to shepherd the attacker.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There was similar feeling about Gilmour at this stage last season and he came in and did brilliantly.

I think Baleba will start to come good sooner rather than later. He has all the attributes to be a top DM, he mainly needs to improve his positioning for RDZball and decision making in when to challenge and when to try to shepherd the attacker.
Gilmour has done brilliantly, I agree. But I believe it's the athleticism we've had in the middle of the park in recent years that we so badly miss.

This is why I think we need to bring Carlos through, or possibly find someone like him, but the CM's we were linked with in Jan looked more similar to the other midfielders we have.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

We will start to play two games a week again soon. He will be getting a lot more game time soon, as will other current fringe players., e.g Moder.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

GIlmour was starting for Scotland in the last Euros, and indeed ran the match against England
he was just never given a chance because of the strength of our midfield last season, not only the dynamic duo but Mwapu was ahead of him as well

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
GIlmour was starting for Scotland in the last Euros, and indeed ran the match against England
he was just never given a chance because of the strength of our midfield last season, not only the dynamic duo but Mwapu was ahead of him as well
Billy is clearly a top quality player.

But it's an issue of midfielder type. He is playing alongside Pascal Gross, who is a similar ball playing midfielder, who if he has a weak point, it's that he can get done in transition and doesn't have that rare quality which we've been so blessed with recently to win the odd challenge where he had no right to do so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fabulous at Anfield on Sunday.

He has everything in his locker that our midfield has been so obviously lacking all season. Pace, power, awareness to recognise when he has space to drop a shoulder and beat the press.

Billy Gilmour's injury is a real shame for him (and I very much hope for his sake that he can get fit and regain full match fitness ahead of Scotland's three group stage defeats at the Euros), but the opportunity that it presents for Baleba's development will see it as a long term blessing, IMO.

Now that RDZ simply HAS to play the lad, we'll hopefully soon see what he is really capable of. Baffling that the Italian 'genius' has been thus far, so unable to get a tune out of him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fabulous at Anfield on Sunday.

He has everything in his locker that our midfield has been so obviously lacking all season. Pace, power, awareness to recognise when he has space to drop a shoulder and beat the press.

Billy Gilmour's injury is a real shame for him (and I very much hope for his sake that he can get fit and regain full match fitness ahead of Scotland's three group stage defeats at the Euros), but the opportunity that it presents for Baleba's development will see it as a long term blessing, IMO.

Now that RDZ simply HAS to play the lad, we'll hopefully soon see what he is really capable of. Baffling that the Italian 'genius' has been thus far, so unable to get a tune out of him.
I'd say it's a bit of that, but also a bit of naivety, inexperience and lack of experience at PL level from CB. In some performances he's been great, but in others, he's been 'League 1 at best'. Some time watching from the sidelines - along with training and coaching with/from the squad - has hopefully done him the world of good.

Big season next season, whoever is in charge!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here