Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cardiff v Chelsea - posives and negatives

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Cardiff NEEDING to beat us, actually gives us a much better chance of winning that game. If they were in a position to come to us and aim for a horrible draw, then I'd expect them to get it.

Really? They will be playing with nothing to lose whereas we will. Our record seems to suggest that when it is a 'must not lose' game, we set up and play so negatively.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Didn’t hear Warnock mention the offside goal they scored against us in his rant. Understand why he was upset though, terrible decision, but it isn’t a one way street. Decisions that go against you remember longer than the ones you get away with.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Really? They will be playing with nothing to lose whereas we will. Our record seems to suggest that when it is a 'must not lose' game, we set up and play so negatively.

And we know exactly what Warnock will do ahead of the game. He will load all the pressure on us and our players, and it's the right thing to do from their perspective. He'll say Brighton have everything to lose, that Cardiff have nothing to lose. It's up to Hughton to make our players - even if they see it - keep their attitudes right, confident, positive, not complacent and not overly tentative.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Really ? Why not ? Isn't in/around relegation (given we've only been as low as 17th for one week and never in the bottom three) exactly where people expected us to be. (hope is another thing).

Easy. Based on our squad, where we were in December, the quality (or lack of it) of some of the other teams at the bottom, the fact that we have somehow lost to a lot of those teams, the fact that generally and unlike others we haven't been getting tonked even by the top teams, the quality of some of our play earlier in the season, the fact that hardly any pundit until the recent terrible run (and still few now) thought we would go down based on our ability...shall I go on? Not only should we not be in a relegation scrap, we have blown a great chance to really kick on to mid-table.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Chelsea look like a side not playing for their manager although I guess they’ll recall Hazard and Kante. They will dominate possession as that’s what they do but if we don’t sit too deep and Hughton picks a team with pace for counter attacks we could pick up an unlikely result. Unfortunately we’ll probably do our usual of playing for a 0-0 draw which doesn’t work when you face quality players.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can completely understand the 'What goes around' reaction to Warnock, not one of the game's best loved characters and a hypocrite when it comes to refereeing decisions. Trust me, I was fuming after the game there, with several big decisions going against us.

But there is another aspect to this. I don't like seeing the big clubs regularly getting the decisions against 'smaller' clubs, of which we are one. The refs would deny it, and maybe it's not deliberate just sub-conscious, but we all know it happens. I can't help remember Alonso not being sent off twice when he should have been at the Amex. So while we can all laugh at Warnock and Cardiff today, what if we get a shocker against Man City on final day that gives them the title and sends us down? We have had a good few of these go against us this season, I respect Chris Hughton hugely and I don't understand how he stays so calm when they happen. But it makes you wonder occasionally, would refs think twice if he made more of a fuss?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I can completely understand the 'What goes around' reaction to Warnock, not one of the game's best loved characters and a hypocrite when it comes to refereeing decisions. Trust me, I was fuming after the game there, with several big decisions going against us.

But there is another aspect to this. I don't like seeing the big clubs regularly getting the decisions against 'smaller' clubs, of which we are one. The refs would deny it, and maybe it's not deliberate just sub-conscious, but we all know it happens. I can't help remember Alonso not being sent off twice when he should have been at the Amex. So while we can all laugh at Warnock and Cardiff today, what if we get a shocker against Man City on final day that gives them the title and sends us down? We have had a good few of these go against us this season, I respect Chris Hughton hugely and I don't understand how he stays so calm when they happen. But it makes you wonder occasionally, would refs think twice if he made more of a fuss?

Like this you mean:

fullsizeoutput_4265.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here