Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City 2011/12

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Since my return to the hallowed turf of NSC, I've been asked on a couple of occasions to outline my expectations for Cardiff City during the forthcoming campaign. I was going to do so in the Leon Jeanne thread, but I think I'll avoid bumping that one once again.....

Given the mess that Dave Jones left the club in when he departed and the fact that Cardiff now have so many new staff and players, I will perfectly happy with a mid-table position this season. The team Malky Mackay has been putting together is looking increasingly promising, but a lot of the players are youngsters and I don't believe the squad has quite enough quality for a serious promotion challenge just yet.

Having said that, this division is often full of surprises, so anything can happen. I'll be more than satisfied with a top ten finish, but wouldn't rule anything out at this stage.

For those who are interested, my thoughts on the previous manager's transfer policy last season can be found on my blog at the link below:

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: A Hangover from Drinking in the Last Chance Saloon

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Hey Laughing bluebird, this division is going to be full of surprises and I believe that Cardiff are going to have to settle for mid table. As you said anything can happen and I for one would be happy to settle for a mid table slot. Good luck all the same.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Its a shame good club aswell, but i just think they needed to go up last year, now i think there going to be mid table for a few years, i think they could have done much better in the prem than bloody Swansea will do

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Good blog TLB. I think the conclusion is correct that Jones knew it was Prem or bust. Although I wouldnt blame him for his policy. I also think he was let down by a number of signings who certainly had pedigree but failed to live up to it.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
To say they failed to live up to it is something of an understatement. One or two of the Premier League loan signings were an embarrassment.

Anyway, I thought the following piece may be of interest to one or two of you as it contains a bit of background regarding how John Stephenson worked at Watford. I think Brighton have done very well to land him.

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: Mixed Feelings about a Fascinating Appointment

The very best of luck for tomorrow, and those who've met me will know that I really do mean that. I hope the day is a huge success. You've waited long enough for it.

You never know, Attila might even get the beers in as promised..... :smile:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Welcome back TLB! :clap2:

Reckon you got the bargain of the season in Kenny Miller BTW. Genuine 20 goal a season man at Pound Shop knockdown price :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Welcome back TLB!

Reckon you got the bargain of the season in Kenny Miller BTW. Genuine 20 goal a season man at Pound Shop knockdown price

Thank you squire. Good to speak to you again.

I think Mackay paid £880,000 for Miller, so he wasn't exactly cheap. Nevertheless, he demonstrated what he's all about this afternoon. One chance, one goal, although he had a helping hand from England's number one.

It's just a shame that so few City fans were there to see it.

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: Bluebirds to Boycott the Boleyn Bubble

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Great result today, showed West Pork that this division is not the formality a lot of their fans seem to think.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thank you squire. Good to speak to you again.

I think Mackay paid £880,000 for Miller, so he wasn't exactly cheap. Nevertheless, he demonstrated what he's all about this afternoon. One chance, one goal, although he had a helping hand from England's number one.

It's just a shame that so few City fans were there to see it.

The Lone Gunman - Shooting From The Lip: Bluebirds to Boycott the Boleyn Bubble

Kenny Miller always seems to score against Brighton :(

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
great result today!

It was but nobody here will get carried away.

Before the game a lot of the media people were suggesting it was a bad time to play West Ham as players like Parker, Cole and Green were still in their squad and may be gone in a few weeks. Personally, I thought it was a good time to play them as sides are rarely on peak form at this time of year. That was very definitely the case with West Ham today. They'll prove a lot better than that, I'm sure.

There were encouraging performances from some of our lot, including Gestede, who came on as a late sub and set up the goal. He was playing in the French second division for Metz last season but he showed up well while on trial in pre-season and looks to have a bit about him. He's one for the future.

Not so sure about the Miller/Earnshaw combination up front. I think they are too similar to play together, but Mackay is still in the market for new players and expects to bring another two or three in before the end of August. Hopefully, one will be a striker.

Delighted with Brighton's result yesterday, not only because of my high regard for your club and its supporters but because I had a tenner double on Ipswich and Brighton. Which was nice!

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
It was but nobody here will get carried away.

Before the game a lot of the media people were suggesting it was a bad time to play West Ham as players like Parker, Cole and Green were still in their squad and may be gone in a few weeks. Personally, I thought it was a good time to play them as sides are rarely on peak form at this time of year. That was very definitely the case with West Ham today. They'll prove a lot better than that, I'm sure.

There were encouraging performances from some of our lot, including Gestede, who came on as a late sub and set up the goal. He was playing in the French second division for Metz last season but he showed up well while on trial in pre-season and looks to have a bit about him. He's one for the future.

Not so sure about the Miller/Earnshaw combination up front. I think they are too similar to play together, but Mackay is still in the market for new players and expects to bring another two or three in before the end of August. Hopefully, one will be a striker.

Delighted with Brighton's result yesterday, not only because of my high regard for your club and its supporters but because I had a tenner double on Ipswich and Brighton. Which was nice!

ok. im leyton orient fc...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good read, especially about John Stephenson. Puts a whole different perspective on Will Buckley's chances of settling down here :) Thanks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Welcome back TLB! :clap2:

Reckon you got the bargain of the season in Kenny Miller BTW. Genuine 20 goal a season man at Pound Shop knockdown price :thumbsup:

I know you're a betting man THPP. You have any money on Miller scoring today ? Good call :clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Good read, especially about John Stephenson. Puts a whole different perspective on Will Buckley's chances of settling down here :) Thanks.

Cheers, much appreciated.

I stumbled across the information about John Stephenson while researching Malky Mackay's appointment and it seems he was a big influence at Watford, so hopefully he'll have a similar influence at Brighton.

Mackay came out to meet 250 fans at an social event last week. During a questions and answers session he confessed that several of City's signings this summer were being targeted by Watford last season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were on Brighton's radar also.

Possibly the most interesting signing is a lad called Filip Kiss. He's a Slovakian Under-21 international midfielder who has arrived on a season-long loan from Slovan Bratislava with a view to a permanent deal. He is one who was going through Stephenson's six-stage recruitment process while Mackay was in charge at Watford. The manager watched him play in Slovakia a couple of times and was very keen to bring him here as soon as he took charge.

Kiss picked up a knock in training a couple of weeks ago and wasn't involved today, but apparently he was being scouted by a number of Premier League clubs and Mackay has very high hopes for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here